DCI Student Discount

Seeing as DCI's fan base is made up of many students, college and high school, has it ever been thought of to give a student discount for any tickets?

I'm a college student myself and I work all summer in order to pay for school during the fall and winter semesters. This year I will once again be making my yearly trip down to finals, but this year will be a little bit different. Seeing as the prices for any decent seat in Lucas Oil Stadium are $75+ dollars, I will not be going in to see the show this year. Instead I plan to head down and just watch the lot scene all day. I have also even considered going to Open Class Finals as it is much cheaper, and you get to see some pretty good shows. I'm disapointed that the prices were bumped up from last year which made finals much more affordable. So has this ever happened? Would it ever work? I think discounts to college students would be great. It doesn't even have to be that much. If the discount made the prices the same as last year I probably wouldn't mind paying for it, but for now $75 just seems like a lot of money for the value of seat you're getting.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There actually is a program right now for college music ed students to go to semis for free.

There actually is a program right now for college music ed students to go to semis for free.

Where can I find info on this?

Seeing as DCI's fan base is made up of many students, college and high school, has it ever been thought of to give a student discount for any tickets?

I'm a college student myself and I work all summer in order to pay for school during the fall and winter semesters. This year I will once again be making my yearly trip down to finals, but this year will be a little bit different. Seeing as the prices for any decent seat in Lucas Oil Stadium are $75+ dollars, I will not be going in to see the show this year. Instead I plan to head down and just watch the lot scene all day. I have also even considered going to Open Class Finals as it is much cheaper, and you get to see some pretty good shows. I'm disapointed that the prices were bumped up from last year which made finals much more affordable. So has this ever happened? Would it ever work? I think discounts to college students would be great. It doesn't even have to be that much. If the discount made the prices the same as last year I probably wouldn't mind paying for it, but for now $75 just seems like a lot of money for the value of seat you're getting.

Nothing personal kid, but you have just made the point that many on here have argued about for the past few years. The audience DCI is targeting can't afford tickets, yet DCI keeps pushing the legacy fans (who can afford it) away from the activity. Not a great business plan.

Hell, what about a military discount??

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

Nothing personal kid, but you have just made the point that many on here have argued about for the past few years. The audience DCI is targeting can't afford tickets, yet DCI keeps pushing the legacy fans (who can afford it) away from the activity. Not a great business plan.

Math has never been their strong suit. I did an analysis for a post on RAMD about this subject several years ago.

Basically, the average ticket price for finals is $72.50. At 15K fans, that's $1,087,500. Now, if the average price were $50, and 10K more people showed up, that would be $1,250,000. That doesn't look like much more money for seats sold, but when you add in additional concessions for DCI and souvie sales for the corps, that's could be a huge difference.

There are dozens of other scenarios that could be made, but I'm up against a clock right now. This is one simple example.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

maybe they should offer a senior citizen discount :tongue:

j/k actually, I was thinking pretty much what you said.

The sad part is that the fan network is so much better of a deal. Of course it isn't live but I pay $60 (actually $30 since I split it with my brother) and I can watch shows the whole season. Maybe this is the audience they're targeting for the fan network, I don't know. I still wouldn't be able to watch finals though even if I weren't going to Indy.