Are the judges anti-Spirit or what?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we did that, how would you be able to tell any of the threads apart?

lol, good point, creative spelling of the word I guess. WAAAAUUUGH!!!! BOO HOO!!!!!! GBHHAAAAAAAA!!!!! DCP in August, ladies and gents .

I've marched Spirit for two years as well as another corps. I find it extremely odd how many people places weight on placement. I remember when everyone use to speak of Spirit constantly getting 12th place every year as if it was the worst thing that could possibly happen and now people are seriously fighting it out to get there. I'll never forget. The feeling of making finals was great, but what surprised me more was how much more I enjoyed my experience at Spirit the following year after not making finals. This show is the best show from Spirit i've seen since the 80's (maybe except for 06 lol) but everytime I see this show it seriously does something for me. I just hope that the members/staff at Spirit don't get discouraged from the past few years and decide to leave. I understand you'll have some people that leave for personal reasons and convenience. But please realize you guys are doing some great things and making alot of people happy. I know it's hard to just "not care" about the scores and everything, I use to be the same way and yeah it kinda stinks but we're all extremely proud. And as for everyone else, pleaase, stop the bashing, that's all I ever see on these forums. It's not like DCI is a thriving activity to begin with and to just constantly put down each other is not helping very much. I love you Spirit, and I always will, i'm wearing my deltas proudly. And I hope everyone has a great last leg of the season. KSA Spirit, Crossmen, Colts, and Bluecoats!

It is pretty much a consensus on this board that Spirit is a much improved drum corps over last year. On this date in 2009, the corps scored an 82.65. Tonight the scored an 80.2. I think there is reason to at least ask the question.

numbers really dont mean anything especially year to year Spirit is better than the last few years for sure but others can be also, which always sucks when you dont move forward but certainly are better. In the 80s i was a huge fan and in recent years not so much BUT I think visually is a big step forward this year and I enjoye them .Good luck Spirit

Well, it really should matter based on how the judges sheets are designed. Each sheet has "boxes" or ranges and corps have to reach a certain level of achievement within each box, and then a numeric score for that box is assigned. For instance, box 1 has a range of 1 to 3, box 2 has a range of 4 to 6 and so on. DCI has defined what level of achievment a corps has to reach to be in box 1, box 2, etc... Sure, I can see a few tenths, but 80.2 seems low for their improvement over last year. It's almost like there scores are being held down so that they can not compete with any of they corps competing for 12th. Maybe they shouldn't be beating those guys, but they should be in the hunt....

I've marched Spirit for two years as well as another corps. I find it extremely odd how many people places weight on placement. I remember when everyone use to speak of Spirit constantly getting 12th place every year as if it was the worst thing that could possibly happen and now people are seriously fighting it out to get there. I'll never forget. The feeling of making finals was great, but what surprised me more was how much more I enjoyed my experience at Spirit the following year after not making finals. This show is the best show from Spirit i've seen since the 80's (maybe except for 06 lol) but everytime I see this show it seriously does something for me. I just hope that the members/staff at Spirit don't get discouraged from the past few years and decide to leave. I understand you'll have some people that leave for personal reasons and convenience. But please realize you guys are doing some great things and making alot of people happy. I know it's hard to just "not care" about the scores and everything, I use to be the same way and yeah it kinda stinks but we're all extremely proud. And as for everyone else, pleaase, stop the bashing, that's all I ever see on these forums. It's not like DCI is a thriving activity to begin with and to just constantly put down each other is not helping very much. I love you Spirit, and I always will, i'm wearing my deltas proudly. And I hope everyone has a great last leg of the season. KSA Spirit, Crossmen, Colts, and Bluecoats!

At the same time, I have to agree with you.

I've never marched Spirit, but I'm a die hard fan. I've always said at some point the members aren't always worried about scores. Yea, that's important, but it's not all that matters. I did this original post not knowing a lot of things, and forgetting some stuff. Do I still think they are underscored? Yes, but still....everything you said is exactly right!