Cadets 2010 Vocals

I really really like Cadets show from a musical standpoint and I like their visual package pretty well too, but I threw up in my mouth a little when I heard those vocals.

Only a little?

"In the old days we would make changeafter change until we got it right "if you know it's going to work ... don't do it. Try something else" That was the motto. Well, I orchestrated one change that DID NOT WORK. There are reasons ... none matter! So back to the drawing board and for now the "run", needs to come back. "Old School" needs to go away. And yes I learned a few things :-) A Happier Sunday to all!" -G Hopkins

It disturbs me to the core that anyone would think the changes they implemented would improve things...especially after the 2007 & 2008 fiasco. George H suffers the myopia of another George...George Lucas.

He seems unable to differentiate good from bad. I want my old Star Wars back. I want my old Cadets back. Jeffery = Jar Jar Binks. Meh.

"In the old days we would make changeafter change until we got it right "if you know it's going to work ... don't do it. Try something else" That was the motto. Well, I orchestrated one change that DID NOT WORK. There are reasons ... none matter! So back to the drawing board and for now the "run", needs to come back. "Old School" needs to go away. And yes I learned a few things :-) A Happier Sunday to all!" -G Hopkins

It disturbs me to the core that anyone would think the changes they implemented would improve things...especially after the 2007 & 2008 fiasco. George H suffers the myopia of another George...George Lucas.

He seems unable to differentiate good from bad. I want my old Star Wars back. I want my old Cadets back. Jeffery = Jar Jar Binks. Meh.

Isn't now the one time of the year where this gem gets broken out?

320688984_6937ba10b3_o.png

LOL

That just made my day. Did you just make that, or is it old?

I believe that's a DCP classic dating back to when Hopkins called me out for standing him up for meeting for lunch. :blink:

Cadets had a fine performance tonight. The horns are pretty aggressive. The drill is definitely coming together. The music book is very enjoyable. So still a perfectly entertaining show. They have more children's sounds in that section of the show. The big addition was a goofy voice giving drill commands "left face, right face" for a few moments in the closer. If those are a deal breaker for you - well, you can hope they take them back out!

If there ever was a show that called for a little vocal support it is this one. It fits very well with the notion of a child giving his toys "orders" and them responding accordingly. I don't know how else you would pull that off.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe they replace the awesome hornline 16th note run when the brass stands still near the beginning of the last piece. I remember watching tonight on the edge of my seat waiting to be wowed by that musical passage... when Whaammmm!..... Scooby Doo starts yelling at me!..... I had to immediately turn the volume down for fear of embarrassing myself in front of other people who were in my house in the next room.

That's what I felt like, unfortunately the other people in my house were watching the broadcast with me... completely cringe worthy...

:blink:

Well, we can safely say that it didnt work, thats for sure...thank God its out, without drama or recourse, all is well again.

G

I generally don't are about vocals one way or another, and it doesn't automatically bother me whe they're used. But Cadeta, IMO have not come close producing narration that isn't poorly performed. Typically their narration has been performed poorly, coming across as horrid high school drama productions. Given how well they typically perform in every other aspect, the poor narration delivery becomes even more obvious.

I generally don't are about vocals one way or another, and it doesn't automatically bother me whe they're used. But Cadeta, IMO have not come close producing narration that isn't poorly performed. Typically their narration has been performed poorly, coming across as horrid high school drama productions. Given how well they typically perform in every other aspect, the poor narration delivery becomes even more obvious.

Thats my exact point. To steal another "phrase of the day" ....What Cadets regularly do is "box-5" ...The vocals never come close to that.

G