More Complex Drum Corps, yet...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, "Less is More" ????

Perhaps tradition is more. Perhaps brand loyalty is more. I loved Madison's show because it brought back images of my all-time favorite "old school" show--Madison '75. I saw it at the US Open that year. Boy, was that show powerful. When a corps if forced to give up traditions just to be competitive, does the corps really "win" in the long run? (bottle dance, sunburst)

My mom and I watched some of the shows on the Fan Network on Saturday. When BD was finished, she turned to me and said, "None of those shows were exciting." This comes from someone who supported my joining a small local corps and had followed the Troopers for years in the 60's 70's and 80's.

I've been frustrated with the direction in which this activity is heading. It's been one of those nagging thoughts for the past several years and a few things now make sense.

1. It used to be that the emotion a person felt from a show came solely from the music and how it was played. Those impromptu standing ovations were a direct result of the goosebumps that we felt when a corps touched our hearts (Troopers sunburst, SCV bottle dance, Madison's company front). The hype that a show received came from how that corps touched the crowd. Now the corps are relying on "things" (read artificial props) to try to create the drama instead. I watch a show to see the drill and listen to the music--lose the gimmicks--so I can feel the raw emotion of the music once again.

2. With the amplification of the pit, it became obvious that shows relied on the music from the front ensemble to carry the show. While the pit played, the marching members would do fancy/fast/interesting drill and not have to worry about playing and marching at the same time.

3. The reason that soloists must be miked these days is because they cannot be heard over the amped front ensemble. Turn the amps off and let us hear them play without artificial help.

4. We understood that the tic system wasn't perfect, but it did allow for actual competition. We also understood that perfection was out of the question--it doesn't exist in any competition. The idea of a competition being judged based on spreads instead of concrete means makes it difficult to conceptualize personal and group improvement. Do straight lines and marching in step really count anymore? Exactly what must Corps B do to pass Corps A? If the answer in your mind is "clean, clean, clean", exactly what do you mean? Clean the marching? Clean the music? (Clean the uniforms?) How can a corps' staff make plans for improvement if the criteria is based solely on subjective, abstract, general ideas?

Perhaps tradition is more. Perhaps brand loyalty is more. I loved Madison's show because it brought back images of my all-time favorite "old school" show--Madison '75. I saw it at the US Open that year.

Serious question: did people in 1975 love Madison's show because it reminded them of something from 1940?

After attending the DCI Atlanta show, I find it truly ironic that with all the complexity of drum corps, the intricate drills, music, and colorguard, two of the loudest cheers during any corp's show were for Madison's "Fleur de Lis", and Carolina's "Crown" There must be a message there somehow....

Perhaps, "Less is More" ????

I don't know if it is a less is more thing. Drum corps fans still connect to the iconic images of the activity. Madisons's Fleur de Lis, Boston's conquest, Troopers star burst, the Vanguard yell, etc... It brings the crowd to their feet because she sheer history and tradition around these things "involve" the audience in the show and make them participants, not just observers.

I was present Saturday night....my favorites:

Madison- a good entertaining crowd pleaser and the music it great to listen to.

Phantom- the beginning entry was just amazing. The middle was ok, and then like the entry the exit was too awesome. The crowd loved it!

Crown- I have loved this show all year. I just wish they had a better ending to really bring the audience up off their feet. Oh, and did anyone see the person in the brass line go down in one of the maneuvers? Ouch...that didn't help the score

Cavaliers- the show is growing on me. The intricate patterns are looking better and better.

Not so favorites:

SCV - this show just is missing something. I felt the whole crowd just fall asleep. Even at the end of the show, the crowd just barely got up to applaud. Not good

And of course Blue Devils: so much going on. Way too much loud electric bass. The mirrors are cool, but all other corps utilize the marching to show off the show. They don't need mirrors to exaggerate it. The music choice is odd too. I just don't get why the scores are so high. Oh well.... Just my thoughts.

That's just my opinion :-)

Do you ever get tired of coming on here and telling people how wrong they are? Seriously, it seems as though whenever a person reports their observation you blast them for daring to speak for the audience. No wonder why some people are reluctant to post a review. They don't want self-appointed guardians of thought criticizing their opinions.

This my friend is so true.

There were DCA corps in competition in Atlanta using amps.

Good try for you.

If this is the case, then said DCA corps should have been, at the very least, penalized.

More likely, they would have been disqualified in a sanctioned DCA contest.

Amplification remains illegal in DCA.

My guess is that you are mistaken about the use of amplification by these corps.

Do you ever get tired of coming on here and telling people how wrong they are? Seriously, it seems as though whenever a person reports their observation you blast them for daring to speak for the audience. No wonder why some people are reluctant to post a review. They don't want self-appointed guardians of thought criticizing their opinions.

I actually think he is right...at most, any audience member can speak for themselves and for the people around them.

For instance, a fan at finals who bought tickets from corps x and sits in a section with all other corps x supporters will have a different account of their experience than someone not sitting in that section.

At most, a single audience member can accurately comment on their impressions and those of the people surrounding them. No one can speak for "all." Afterall, this is still a democracy and minority opinions still matter.

If this is the case, then said DCA corps should have been, at the very least, penalized.

More likely, they would have been disqualified in a sanctioned DCA contest.

Amplification remains illegal in DCA.

My guess is that you are mistaken about the use of amplification by these corps.

I dont think it happened - at least the CorpsVets are not wired.

Tom? care to elaborate?