New High Score at Finals?

Having scored on the high side of 95 in the GA Dome Saturday night, the Blue Devils are simply achieving at a higher level than any other corps at this point in the season. That's not to put down the other corps in the activity. I can certainly appreciate all of the hard work the members and staffs are putting in to maxing out each and every performance. BD is performing nearly two (2) points cleaner than their competition. That's a fact.

The 2010 season is nearing a close and with just under two weeks to go I wonder if the winning-est corps in DCI history will either tie or break the record for highest score in finals competition... It's certainly a possibility, not to discount any dark horses/late season surges. (We've certainly seen them in recent years). However, my money's on the Blue Devils to take it all. That being what she said, will they or won't they set a new record? It would be interesting to see that for the third time in less than ten (10) years.

Discuss.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having scored on the high side of 95 in the GA Dome Saturday night, the Blue Devils are simply achieving at a higher level than any other corps at this point in the season. That's not to put down the other corps in the activity. I can certainly appreciate all of the hard work the members and staffs are putting in to maxing out each and every performance. BD is performing nearly two (2) points cleaner than their competition. That's a fact.

The 2010 season is nearing a close and with just under two weeks to go I wonder if the winning-est corps in DCI history will either tie or break the record for highest score in finals competition... It's certainly a possibility, not to discount any dark horses/late season surges. (We've certainly seen them in recent years). However, my money's on the Blue Devils to take it all. That being what she said, will they or won't they set a new record? It would be interesting to see that for the third time in less than ten (10) years.

Discuss.

I think it is entirely possible that Blue Devils will again reach 99 or higher, and have a legit shot at setting a new record for highest score. After Atlanta's score, they literally have two full weeks to improve by less than 4.5 to achieve perfection. Of course, they will not score a perfect 100, but they are on pace to score higher than 99.15 in Indy.

Love or hate the show, that's something pretty darn special, and exciting for the activity

They can break that record if:

1. They have an amazing (even for Blue Devils standards) run on Finals night..... That means no blatant fracks, no ensemble tears (not even small ones), no falls or other visual mishaps, no guard drops.

2. They win every caption.... or at least place second in one only by a tenth or so.

3. They have a panel of judges who really like their show and really like their concept towards playing/spinning/marching/etc....

Personally, I think #2 and #3 are easily achievable. They have rarely lost any caption this year other than percussion... and it's always been close. I think they can really focus on cleaning the little dirt they have in the drum line and possible sweep all captions in 2 weeks. As for #3..... well it sure seems like nearly all of the current DCI judges really buy into BD's performance and design philosophy, so probably any panel they get on Finals night will favor them.

Therefore, I think it will pretty much come down to their actual performance (as it should). I would say if it's their best performance of the season, then 99.3 or so is easily within reach.

I certainly hope not. I would be upset if the show that earns the incredible honor of "highest score ever" is a show that is NOT a crowd favorite by any means (not "speaking for the audience," audience reaction levels prove it). Sure, this show is doing something unique. They jazz run through their drill more than they march. Fantastic. But it isn't Cavis '02 or Cadets '05.

The Cavaliers earned their 99.15 with what may be the best visual program EVER (lots of personal opinion there, I know), in terms of the combo of design and execution, and having that visual program be extremely exciting for judges and fans alike. The Cadets got theirs by doing what the Cadets have always done well (great music and insane drill executed at an equally insane level), plus throwing in some interesting concepts with electronics, and having it also be incredibly exciting to so many fans and judges that witnessed it.

This year's Blue Devils.... Well, they DO have an incredible level of execution, whatever it is that they're doing. However, I can't help but think that this is one level of innovation that will take years to bash into the seasoned corps fan's skull (I'm still a relatively new corps fan at only five years, and it'll take ME years to accept it). With all of the changes over the last ten years, now we have to accept that the far-and-away leader in DCI's World Class doesn't even MARCH through most of their show? Since when did the roll-step become such an antiquated way of doing things?

To summarize my mess of thoughts, we as fans must demand the answer to this question from DCI's judges: Is Blue Devils 2010 REALLY better than "Frameworks" or "The Zone?"

I certainly hope not. I would be upset if the show that earns the incredible honor of "highest score ever" is a show that is NOT a crowd favorite by any means (not "speaking for the audience," audience reaction levels prove it). Sure, this show is doing something unique. They jazz run through their drill more than they march. Fantastic. But it isn't Cavis '02 or Cadets '05.

The Cavaliers earned their 99.15 with what may be the best visual program EVER (lots of personal opinion there, I know), in terms of the combo of design and execution, and having that visual program be extremely exciting for judges and fans alike. The Cadets got theirs by doing what the Cadets have always done well (great music and insane drill executed at an equally insane level), plus throwing in some interesting concepts with electronics, and having it also be incredibly exciting to so many fans and judges that witnessed it.

This year's Blue Devils.... Well, they DO have an incredible level of execution, whatever it is that they're doing. However, I can't help but think that this is one level of innovation that will take years to bash into the seasoned corps fan's skull (I'm still a relatively new corps fan at only five years, and it'll take ME years to accept it). With all of the changes over the last ten years, now we have to accept that the far-and-away leader in DCI's World Class doesn't even MARCH through most of their show? Since when did the roll-step become such an antiquated way of doing things?

To summarize my mess of thoughts, we as fans must demand the answer to this question from DCI's judges: Is Blue Devils 2010 REALLY better than "Frameworks" or "The Zone?"

2002 put me in a coma...2001, and 2000 Cavaliers were better. 2010 Blue Devils is better than 2002 Cavaliers, its different and the guard and brass are much better..

G

You pose a good question, but as for whether or not it's better than Frameworks or the Zone, you can't compare that, really. There are many forum topics on this.

I think the BD are on track for getting a 99 in SEMIS! That would put them as the only corps to do that and the only corps to get two finals scores in the 99s. Kind of cool.

As much as I am programed to hate BD (as a Cadet alumn - the same way a Red Sox fan hates the Yankees), like it or not, they are doing what they do VERY well. The mirrors are something drum corps has never seen before, so innovation points are through the roof. The music takes some getting used to, but it's great. AND CLEAN! Drill is clean, whatever drill there is :)

Edited by behold888

2002 put me in a coma...2001, and 2000 Cavaliers were better. 2010 Blue Devils is better than 2002 Cavaliers, its different and the guard and brass are much better..

G

I never said the music was the most exciting thing out there. :worthy: But they sounded great, were **** clean, and had a GE-licious program. So I guess that would almost actually work in favor of a pro-BD argument here. I didn't think that one through all the way. :lol: In this case, 2005 Cadets serves as a better example, then. One thing The Cadets do a TON of that I don't see BD doing much at all this year is playing something more challenging than quarter notes as they march. That's a slight exaggeration, but it's aggravating how little they're moving for what music I DO like from their show (i.e. the first half).

You pose a good question, but as for whether or not it's better than Frameworks or the Zone, you can't compare that, really. There are many forum topics on this.

I think the BD are on track for getting a 99 in SEMIS! That would put them as the only corps to do that and the only corps to get two finals scores in the 99s. Kind of cool.

As much as I am programed to hate BD (as a Cadet alumn - the same way a Red Sox fan hates the Yankees), like it or not, they are doing what they do VERY well. The mirrors are something drum corps has never seen before, so innovation points are through the roof. The music takes some getting used to, but it's great. AND CLEAN! Drill is clean, whatever drill there is :)

I certainly hope their drill is clean, when they have so many fewer sets to clean than their competition. :lol: I love the jazz, but everything else is incidental "ooh this sounds cool as we jazz run/send a bunch of people between two mirrors."

What I am desperately hoping DCI avoids is having every corps develop some type of jazz run marching technique for their brass and percussion, simply because the dominant champion does it. If that's the future of DCI, then I HOPE the G7 leaves. Drum corps would still be intact in all its glory, and the Madison Scouts would be on top of the pile. All would be as it should. :worthy:

Edited by aNiMaL

I certainly hope their drill is clean, when they have so many fewer sets to clean than their competition. :lol: I love the jazz, but everything else is incidental "ooh this sounds cool as we jazz run/send a bunch of people between two mirrors."

What I am desperately hoping DCI avoids is having every corps develop some type of jazz run marching technique for their brass and percussion, simply because the dominant champion does it. If that's the future of DCI, then I HOPE the G7 leaves. Drum corps would still be intact in all it's glory, and the Madison Scouts would be on top of the pile. All would be as it should. :worthy:

Well, the body movement epidemic is here, thanks to BD and crown. Interesting, eh?

Well, the body movement epidemic is here, thanks to BD and crown. Interesting, eh?

Crown?

And I speak too soon, I realize. Most corps already have some technique like that when marching larger step-sizes at faster tempi. But the roll-step (or some standard marching style) is their primary form of movement.