Bluecoats are for Real!

I remember overhearing a discussion some years ago between two Bluecoats support staff members when the corps was in seventh place. I think it was 1996. The discussion went a little something like this:

"We're in first place," support staff member No. 1 said.

"What are you talking about?" No. 2 asked. "We're seventh."

"Naw," No. 1 said, grinning out of the side of her mouth. "We're in first of the junior corps. The top six, they're the professionals. We're in first place of all of the junior corps."

"Ohhhhhhh. Okay."

My how things change.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy they are doing so well but I have to tell ya...the more I see their show the less I like it. All that electronic crap really gets on my nerves. Why do they feel the need to ruin perfectly good music by altering it with electronics? Why do we need to hear a recorded female voice in the second number? Why do we need to hear recorded string instruments playing in the ballad? Answer: we don't. None of this is necessary and detracts from the show. I think they have a really awesome corps this year and they are playing really aggresively. There a parts of the show that I love (like those awesome contras) but all the electronics just bogs it down for me and I actually found myself bored while watching their ATL performance. Hopefully it was just a mood I was in. All that being said, I really hope they do well in the end and at least medal. Go bluuuu!

The Bluecoats are my favorite show for 2010. The show is fresh, creative, macho , and gives off the right vibe of the nitty gritty ethos of the city, for it's theme portrayal. The music and visual work in an integrated, coherent fashion. The show is seemless, with a nice flow throughout. I love the drum parts. The guard is terrific. There is no cheesiness, preachiness, pandering, nor high brow pretentiousness with this show, which I like.There is no obtrusive use of props. The Corps use of body movements in the show is appropriate for the Corps and is consistent with it's theme for 2010. It's macho marching that simply works. The use of the microphone on the baritone solo works, and enhances the audience listening pleasure. The uniforms are classy. The whole ethos and vibe created is one of " Drum Corps ", which this poster prefers. The demand, complexity is all there. The Brass and Percussion playing is superb. Right from the getgo, when I first saw the Corps show in late June, I knew this Corps had the goods to challenge for a Title. I have no idea what the judges will do. ( nor particularly care ). The Bluecoats hit a home run with their 2010 show with this fan, and I thank them for that.

Edited by BRASSO

Bluecoats certainly ARE for real! No matter what happens for the next two weeks you deserve congratulations for a very enjoyable program, a well balanced effort with no apparent weaknesses, and a well-trained and talented corps that is performing the heck out of the show. Can't think of a better group to be slugging things out with at this point of the season.

That being said, keep rooting for your team, because you KNOW our guys will keep pushing! Best of luck to the Bluecoats and their fans in this very competitive and fun season.

I'm happy they are doing so well but I have to tell ya...the more I see their show the less I like it. All that electronic crap really gets on my nerves. Why do they feel the need to ruin perfectly good music by altering it with electronics? Why do we need to hear a recorded female voice in the second number? Why do we need to hear recorded string instruments playing in the ballad? Answer: we don't. None of this is necessary and detracts from the show. I think they have a really awesome corps this year and they are playing really aggresively. There a parts of the show that I love (like those awesome contras) but all the electronics just bogs it down for me and I actually found myself bored while watching their ATL performance. Hopefully it was just a mood I was in. All that being said, I really hope they do well in the end and at least medal. Go bluuuu!

An interesting thing I've found when reading these boards is quite a bit of dogging on Bluecoats electronic use. Maybe I look away at the right time, but I never seem to read or hear this being a problem in the avies show, even though I would say they use roughly the same amount. There was even some hate talk on the guitar player in Teal Sound's show, but no mention of the entire guitar feature in Cavies show. Not saying I dislike the show, just found it interesting...

ON TOPIC, Go Bloo! These age-outs that have stuck through thick and thin since 2006 deserve this season more than people could know. Heck, with the work and drive the kids have been putting in EVERYONE deserves this season. Such great leadership and passion.

ALSO, kudos to the staff! The brass staff has quality educators that push these kids to their potential and then some. Ron Harding has done absolutely wonderful things to this corps. Look back at the opening visual scores from 2008, then look how they improved drastically by the end of the season. 2009 was visually WAY better than 2008, and this year is off the charts. The color guard caption head has turned the weakest section of the corps into one of it's biggest weapons. I hope this staff stays for years to come and keeps pumping out quality shows like this! Six words for y'all, two words for them.