My $.02 on the state of drum corps after Murfreesboro

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, based upon the sound I heard, it's anything but excellent. I don't know how many people on DCP have ever listened to a high-end audiophile system, but the sound coming out of the speakers at the Murfreesboro show (regardless of corps) was anything but good. You may think what you have is excellent, but it's like someone who thinks their Chevy Malibu "teh awesomeness," even though they have never experienced a Porsche or Ferrari.

Like I said, audiophiles spend thousands, oftentimes tens of thousands of dollars, on high-end audio equipment to reproduce LIVE sound accurately. Here we have DCI corps take LIVE sound, and put it through lesser outputs. Peavy and Yamaha are not exactly the benchmark of high-end speakers. I think it's kind of backwards myself to put great live sound through mediocre speakers/amps, but hey, that's just me.

I'm one of those audio geeks, too (Maggie 3.6s with two bi-amped Bryston 4bssts for the tweets and two Bryston 7B monoblocs for the bass, crossed through a 10B sub crossover). I've spent 20 years building my system to attain literal drum-corps reproduction and the irony of of those boat-anchor speakers on the field has made me chuckle many times.

I know many people agree with me that the CD of 2009 had less low-end synth impact than what we experienced being there live and, while there was probably some editing, too, I think it's because the field mics are up very high, usually between the speakers and the sidelines, and spread 35 to 35. Those mics are very directional and, I think, make reproducing the live sound much more palatable. Although most audio geeks will search for a "flat" reproduction I'm glad this is one time where the CD actually sounds better audio-wise than being there live.

I can just cover my ears in the stands - I don't want to have to do that in my living room.

odd i thought low end synth was horrible on the cd's

I'm one of those audio geeks, too (Maggie 3.6s with two bi-amped Bryston 4bssts for the tweets and two Bryston 7B monoblocs for the bass, crossed through a 10B sub crossover). I've spent 20 years building my system to attain literal drum-corps reproduction and the irony of of those boat-anchor speakers on the field has made me chuckle many times.

I know many people agree with me that the CD of 2009 had less low-end synth impact than what we experienced being there live and, while there was probably some editing, too, I think it's because the field mics are up very high, usually between the speakers and the sidelines, and spread 35 to 35. Those mics are very directional and, I think, make reproducing the live sound much more palatable. Although most audio geeks will search for a "flat" reproduction I'm glad this is one time where the CD actually sounds better audio-wise than being there live.

I can just cover my ears in the stands - I don't want to have to do that in my living room.

Yes, I have an old pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's myself and have my heart set on the new Quatro's. Looking to pick up a used Krell to power those :smile:

Maybe it's your speakers. :thumbdown: j/k

Edited by atlvalet

Nope, it's just you. :smile:

Seriously, tho, on my system I hear MUCH more of SCV's horn line than I do the amps and speakers. I remember being there live and my chest thumping because of the low-end boost on the closer (did you go to Indy last year, Jeff? If not you'd have been amazed if you think the CDs are bad). Not so on the CDs. I remember the discussion when the DVDs came out and they were definitely engineered, but still excellent.

Edited by garfield

It's always best to use "I" or "my", that way you can measure it. It's not really that difficult.

Okay, I'll try. "I" was not entertained by the Blue Devils in Houston or Hattiesburg. Both of "MY" friends who went with me, both of which know little about Drum Corps and the history and the dinasaurs were not entertained either. They related this to me in English which I heard with "MY" own ears and processed in "MY" brain.

In Houston, the woman to "MY" right and her daughter, two seats to "My" right were confused and said they didn't get it.

The entire family in front of "MY" seat in Hattiesburg politely clapped and looked at each other confused. About 75% of those persons who had seats adjacent to "MY' seat had the same reaction, because I specifically looked and watched for it with "MY" own eyes and ears.

However, I'm sure this was just "MY" perception and they were all just so overwhelmed with entertainment, joy, bliss, and emotion they couldn't express it in ways they did for the other corps that they leapt to their feet for.

How come most honks for corps can accept that people don't like the show or find it entertaining, but some of the vocal BD homers on here act like you're murdering puppies if you dare say you don't like it, don't understand it, or don't find it entertaining?

Edited by Wadep66

Okay, I'll try. "I" was not entertained by the Blue Devils in Houston or Hattiesburg. Both of "MY" friends who went with me, both of which know little about Drum Corps and the history and the dinasaurs were not entertained either. They related this to me in English which I heard with "MY" own ears and processed in "MY" brain.

In Houston, the woman to "MY" right and her daughter, two seats to "My" right were confused and said they didn't get it.

The entire family in front of "MY" seat in Hattiesburg politely clapped and looked at each other confused. About 75% of those persons who had seats adjacent to "MY' seat had the same reaction, because I specifically looked and watched for it with "MY" own eyes and ears.

However, I'm sure this was just "MY" perception and they were all just so overwhelmed with entertainment, joy, bliss, and emotion they couldn't express it in ways they did for the other corps that they leapt to their feet for.

So you're saying it wasn't Madison '95?

So you're saying it wasn't Madison '95?

BAHAHHAA :smile::thumbup:

You are quite the character!

AND, despite the fact that the Cadets are "MY" favorite corps, I find your Jar Jar Binks analogy pretty funny and totally get why you feel that way. For some reason, I don't feel the need to label you as a hater or that you just "don't like the winner". Cheers!

Nope, it's just you. :smile:

Seriously, tho, on my system I hear MUCH more of SCV's horn line than I do the amps and speakers. I remember being there live and my chest thumping because of the low-end boost on the closer (did you go to Indy last year, Jeff? If not you'd have been amazed if you the CDs are bad). Not so on the CDs. I remember the discussion when the DVDs came out and they were definitely engineered, but still excellent.

i was not there, but it was painful in the theater and on the FN for semis. then again, my ears were still rining from Crown being so #### loud at Allentown.

but I've played the cd on several systems, and SCV and Crown were the worst on the cd. Key even agreed with me

BD is not alone on that my friend.

How come most honks for corps can accept that people don't like the show or find it entertaining, but some of the vocal BD homers on here act like you're murdering puppies if you dare say you don't like it, don't understand it, or don't find it entertaining?