OMG I can watch DCI FN on my phone... NATIVELY!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The iPhone will always be the standard off of which other phones are based. Case in point....the Droid and other Android phones.

Did you double-post that with an iPhone? .... just messin with you.

Don't hold your breath for the DCI Android App. The iPhone app is worthless. Why can't Fan Network be included in the DCI app?

ANY Android phone users:

You can download a flash-capable web browser for free via the Android Market. Search for 'Skyfire' and just download. It's about a 3 MB file, and it uses the same bookmarks as the native browser and streams videos via flash.

Enjoy!

* EDIT *

For what it's worth, streaming Flash videos DEFINITELY drains the battery and flash is prone to be buggy, making it not-uncommon to have to 'force-quit' Skyfire because Flash makes the app crash. Jobs is definitely not spouting exaggerated rhetoric in his rants against Flash. Flash is MUCH better on desk tops from an energy standpoint, and is super easy for developers; of course HTML5 is MUCH better, more efficient, and more stable that Flash, and it's disappointing that more companies don't utilize it more

Edited by perc2100

I have a feeling that, for at least the next couple of years, DCI will still be using Flash. Hopefully HTML5 and the corresponding video format used will be royalty free, which I think would make HTML5 a cheaper alternative to Flash. Unfortunately, DCI's adoption of newer and better technologies (HD, for example) tends to be slow and not only that, they adopt technology after it has already been surpassed (3D surpassing standard HD). On a side note, I think drum corps in 3D will be quite interesting!

I don't think DCI will consider switching to HTML5 (and whichever video format becomes the standard) until after YouTube makes the transition, nor should they.

The iPhone will always be the standard off of which other phones are based. Case in point....the Droid and other Android phones.

FWIW, streaming Flash on my phone isn't the end-all/be-all of a smart phone, and zero indication that one smart phone is better than another. To be honest, I've been wanting to love android phones since I bought the first one, the t-mobile G1. I bought a Mytouch last October, and by spring my phone was already outdated, runs programs very slowly, etc. The crappy thing about using an android phone is that they outfit ALL of the carriers, so even if you have the most up-to-date phone with your carrier, in four or five months another carrier will get a better android phone (i.e. faster, more efficient) making your phone obsolete. I more than likely won't be offered the Froyo update since my too-old phone won't be able to handle most of the software (even though it's less than 12 months old).

I'm not happy with t-mobile or the Mytouch, and will likely jump ship to the iPhone when my contract expires (especially after using an iPad the last three months and experiencing design perfection).

Of course, other Android phones may be better, and experiences vary.

I don't think DCI will consider switching to HTML5 (and whichever video format becomes the standard) until after YouTube makes the transition, nor should they.

You're probably right, although it would almost make sense for DCI to provide video in a format that is NOT compatible with the free website that frequently hosts unauthorized bootlegs of their product. It seems that DCI's streaming video this year is lower quality than last year, implying that DCI is trying to keep their costs as low as possible to maximize profit (not a bad business practice). That being the case, I would doubt they'd switch to a format that might be costlier.

Personally I think Motorola offers the best Android phones out there and I'm not sure if I would ever go to any other phone with Android besides Motorola. They did a great job with the first Droid, and things have been on the right path for bigger and better phones. (Droid X which is now out) And as far as I know, they have and will always push the new android updates on their phones after they do the testing and work any kinks out.

On that note, I think DCI should get an app for Android going. With how big Android is becoming, why not do it? It's not like they would be doing it for nothing. So what are you waiting for DCI? :) Lets see an Android DCI App!

Now... if we can get a dci app for android thatd be great.

You can't have your cake and eat it too! :thumbdown:

BTW, the DCI iPhone app is great the scores get updated really fast.

Now just please integrate the FN onto quicktime and the iPhone.

Love my droid, have the original motorola model and it has the update coming in the next couple weeks.