The Oil Can Lid

Based on forecast, will the roof be open?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Based on the current long range forecast, will the roof be open for Qtrs as advertised?

• Yes, I think the weather gods will smile on us
    • No, there will be the threat of rain so they will have to keep it closed.
    • We all knew it was too good to be true.
    • Will start open, then get closed later which will REALLY open a can of worms.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but wasn't the reasoning behind opening up something to do with acoustics?

Flawed logic anyway....opening the roof shouldn't make much difference, honestly....unless the corps start blowing straight up.

Acoustics is all physics, vectors, infraction and refraction. I don't imagine much sound is bouncing off the roof and then coming down in the stands.

(Or did I miss something?)

Yes, acoustics are the reason DCI wanted to try opening the roof. Many people in The Oil Can last August complained that the sound was boomy and very heavy with reverb, and said, why don't they open the bleepin' roof as they promised when they booked the show in there?

But I agree with you. To me the problem is not the relatively small part of the roof that opens. I think the part that really causes most of the echo is the much-larger-in-square-footage superstructure above the seating decks that support the part of the roof that opens, as well as the end zone walls. But there was a rumor, for what that's worth, of an informal test with a corps or band on the field during the off-season where opening the retractable part of the roof was said to significantly improve the acoustics, according to people reported to be there. So it deserves a chance, weather permitting. But weather may not permit, a known risk all along. The heat may rule it out even if there's little chance of rain, because the same superstructure that traps the sound also traps the heat with no AC running and is reported to make the upper deck in particular quite uncomfortable.

Edited by Peel Paint

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps in a dome sure beats no drum corps at all if Quarterfinals gets rained out. It's all the more true with DCI broadcasting Quarterfinals in theaters across the country. You can't broadcast a rain out... well you could, but good luck getting anyone to pay for it.

Heh... brings back memories of watching Mets games when I was growing up in NJ. When a game was rained out, Channel 9 would air a B movie.... the show was called "Rainout Theater."

Back on topic.... I agree with you. I'm going to the theater for the quarterfinals Thursday, and would much prefer to see corps performing in a domed stadium rather than a video feed of raindrops pelting down on an empty open-air stadium. :thumbup:

I know everyone has their opinion about the sound quality (which from my seats last year honestly was pretty good--but I was upfront so different than many) BUT with the temperatures and weather the way it has been--roof open or closed tonight? anyone know what the decision has been. I am afraid open will be way to hot for corps and fans and we will slowly be cooked...

I'm thinking it will be closed....seem to recall that when the colts opened the first game the opened the roof and it was hot outside and throughout the broadcast they kept showing the fans sweating to death

Looking to be sunny, hot, and humid, with very little wind. The roof would be opened, I assume, during the long break before the theater-cast...at that point, the sun would still be up for 2+ hours longer, temperatures would be in the low to mid-90s, heat index would be around 100. Heat index expected to still be in the mid-80s at the end of the show.

No threat of rain, but not the most comfortable for the fans and performers...ultimately, I think it really depends on how badly they want to know what the acoustics are like, and whether that is more important than fan comfort.

Nix that. Hopkins just posted that the roof will be closed. Read here:

We have determined it is in the best interest of the participants, fans, and event staff and volunteers to keep the roof closed. This is not based on precipitation but on the "heat warning" we are currently under from the National Weather Service. In fact, the forecast for the hottest part of the day is 6:00 PM ten minutes after the roof is to open.

DCI made the right call in leaving the roof closed for the whole show today. While I know some folks believed opening the roof would change the acoustics (it wouldn't), it would have made thing miserable for the audience and the corps given that it's really hot here in Indy. It will also give all corps a level playing field.

Everyone enjoy drum corps at a pleasant 72 degrees!