Allentown Brass Judge Jeff Harper

This has to be one of the BEST jobs of judging I've seen in decades. The guy didn't pull any punches.

Here are a few highlights of the top 5 brass lines at the show in order of brass finish placement:

Blue Devils...MUS 9.5 (1st).....TECH 9.3 (2nd).....Total Brass (1st)......Final Placement 1st

Cavaliers----MUS 9.2 (3rd).....TECH 9.4 (1st)......Total Brass (2nd).....Final Placement 2nd

Crown.........MUS 9.3 (2nd).....TECH 9.2 (3rd).....Total Brass (3rd)......Final Placement 3rd

Blue Stars....MUS 9.0 (4th).....TECH 9.0 (4th)......Total Brass (4th)......Final Placement 4th (welcome to box 5)

Academy.....MUS 8.7 (5th)......TECH 8.5 (6th).....Total Brass (5th).......Final Placement 7th

Glassmen....MUS 8.3 (9th)......TECH 8.7 (5th)......Total Brass (6th)......Final Placement 5th

One would find it hard to shout SLOTTING ... or RANK AND RATE in those numbers (especially when looking at the top 3 and the Glassmen / Academy numbers). It looks like he actually read the back of the sheet and gave real numbers based on the Glassmen scores (that's the biggest spread in brass numbers for one corps that I've seen in ages between subcaptions. I wish there were more judges out there like this individual!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by supersop

This is a textbook example of how to FAIRLY judge a drum corps caption: Make the best evaluation one can possibly make about each sub-caption based solely and totally on the performance happening in that moment. Reputation and history be d@mned.

The 'fear' in the judging community is, I believe, that the 'best' corps might NOT end up winning it all (best as in there being a consensus that 'corps X is obviously the best corps of the season') due to sub-caption closeness.

But if the judges simply fulfill each of their sub-caption responsibilities as called for by the sheets themselves, I believe we'll see far more understandable results. Fans will consult the recaps and (especially if they continually see certain corps get slammed in certain captions) learn to listen and watch better, with more objective eyes and ears - rather than their own hopes for their favorite corps.

As for this judge: good for you for rewarding what is a FINE brass program at Academy. They have many obvious weaknesses...but brass is their strength and their core, and you're one of the few willing to reward that EARLY in the evening.

This has to be one of the BEST jobs of judging I've seen in decades. The guy didn't pull any punches.

Here are a few highlights of the top 5 brass lines at the show in order of brass finish placement:

Blue Devils...MUS 9.5 (1st).....TECH 9.3 (2nd).....Total Brass (1st)......Final Placement 1st

Cavaliers----MUS 9.2 (3rd).....TECH 9.4 (1st)......Total Brass (2nd).....Final Placement 2nd

Crown.........MUS 9.3 (2nd).....TECH 9.2 (3rd).....Total Brass (3rd)......Final Placement 3rd

Blue Stars....MUS 9.0 (4th).....TECH 9.0 (4th)......Total Brass (4th)......Final Placement 4th (welcome to box 5)

Academy.....MUS 8.7 (5th)......TECH 8.5 (6th).....Total Brass (5th).......Final Placement 7th

Glassmen....MUS 8.3 (9th)......TECH 8.7 (5th)......Total Brass (6th)......Final Placement 5th

One would find it hard to shout SLOTTING ... or RANK AND RATE in those numbers (especially when looking at the top 3 and the Glassmen / Academy numbers). It looks like he actually read the back of the sheet and gave real numbers based on the Glassmen scores (that's the biggest spread in brass numbers for one corps that I've seen in ages between subcaptions. I wish there were more judges out there like this individual!!!!!!!!!!

Good analysis. Is he judging tonight again? Could be a brass reality check for several other corps.

By the way, BD dropped from 19.5 to 18.8 in total brass from Fairfax to Allentown (2 days).

Good analysis. Is he judging tonight again? Could be a brass reality check for several other corps.

By the way, BD dropped from 19.5 to 18.8 in total brass from Fairfax to Allentown (2 days).

Yes he is judging again tonight. In a two night format like Allentown, they have been using the same panel (in the same captions) both nights.

I approve of the results, but I sincerely doubt that Academy would have been 5th in Brass had they gone on before Troop and Colts. Maybe close 6th, but performance order does have a depreciating effect.

It's sad that we get excited when we see good judging. It should be this way all the time.

It's sad that we get excited when we see good judging. It should be this way all the time.

Yes, it indeed should be this way all the time. Unfortunately, it's far from this way most of the time, and seems to be getting worse.

As for Jeff Harper -- he was my son's assistant band director in high school, and is one of the few judges out there that I still have what I would consider a "lot" of respect for. In fact, I'd say I probably respect Jeff the most of any judge out there these days.

me likey :thumbdown:

Has the Finals panel been set yet?