How long can staff with political pull run DCI?

Sorry... I'm the complete opposite of a BD homer. But the second you start questioning their color guard is the second you lose me. For me, they are the perfection this caption strives for in this activity. Their show does absolutely nothing for me, but those kids spin and toss like no other.

I'd agree with this as well. Being critical of the BD guard is akin to being critical of Barack Obama because you say he doesn't know how to use a telepromptor as well as other politicians. You lose in cards when you play the wrong card even if you've been dealt a decent hand.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with this as well. Being critical of the BD guard is akin to being critical of Barack Obama because you say he doesn't know how to use a telepromptor as well as other politicians. You lose in cards when you play the wrong card even if you've been dealt a decent hand.

I think this is only partially correct . . . I think it is a very legitimate argument to say that there are guards doing both more difficult and cleaner work this year than BD, but there is no other guard this year that is an integrated into the show as BD or performs as well. In a head to head warm up lot battle with another top guard, I'd bet against BD, but on the field, considering the guidelines the judges are given, BD has to win.

Personally, I agree with the OP that BD was overscored last year at finals, but when you look at a judge's sheet and really think about what is being judged, then they were very much deserving of the score they got.

everybody is pretty much scoring where they should.

everybody is pretty much scoring where they should.

That doesn't explain why my Special Lady left my groovy pad in such a hurry tonite...

Edited by tommytimp

That doesn't explain why my Special Lady left my groovy pad in such a hurry tonite...

box 4 in demand, box 3 in performance is the rumor. she expected box 5 across the board with gobs of innovation :thumbup:

Having followed the activity since 1989 I'm actually more impressed with the scoring system these days. The fact that BDs AND Coats scores has remained consistent from the beginning coupled with the fact that the 2nd to 4th place spots have been SOOOO close with corps changing places very frequently tells me that the judges are being very fair and un-biased. Not to mention the fact that SCV is scoring fairly low for them like Phantom did last year tells me that "slotting" is not as prevelant an issue as some would have us think. Anyway, really it's nice to enjoy the competition aspect but not let it ruin the fun!

box 4 in demand, box 3 in performance is the rumor. she expected box 5 across the board with gobs of innovation :thumbup:

But...but...I HAVE MIRRORS!!!

On a more serious note....If DCI was able to put the judges in complete isolation in ( say ) Siberia ( no phones, DCP, internet, communication with the outside world, etc ) for 12 months. Then had all Corps change uniforms, drums, flags, etc so that there was no insignia.... no way for the judges to know who the Corps were, nor the Corps staff.... and then the 23 Corps performed their show in Atlanta in front of the 11 judges for the first time.... we could all agree that scores and placements should be EXACTLY as they were in Atlanta, correct ? I mean, we all agree that uniforms, pedigree, history, the legendary staff on Corps, etc have nothing at all to do with the scores and the placement of the Corps in performance competition. So the scores and placements would be the same, correct ? Or might there be some shifts in the scores and placements ?.... might, for one example, the judges confuse the 2010 Blue Knights with the 2010 Blue Devils if both Corps changed one another's uniforms on the judges, wthout the judges knowing ? Or would the scores and placements be identical, irrespective of the Blue Devils wearing the Blue Knights uniforms and vice versa ? Those who have complete faith in the judging system would say " of course the scores and placements in all the captions would be the same. That's because the only thing that counts is performance on the field, and nothing else ".

I believe that if certain corps were to “magically” switch shows with other corps (and switch the execution/performance level at the same time) that they would still be ranked higher. The only thing that would change would be the “justification” for ranking them higher. I don't consider this corps specific, I feel this would be true with a few corps...

BD CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING BUT GIBBS PAID OFF AL GORE NOT TO INCLUDE IT IN HIS DOCUMENTARY!!11!!!!11!1one!!!111!

BD also blew handling the gushing oil well in the Gulf. Pretty much the entire media has been down on BD for that. There's even rumors that BD might have to change its name to Amoco in order to survive the Phantom Regiment fallout.