Judges for championships

All this discussion tells me is that these folks are human, have tastes, biases, etc just like the folks posting. True they shouldn't let those interfere with objectivity, but so much of what is judged is subjective.

Why is the sound of Crown's brass better than Phantom? They are truly different. Is one right/one wrong. If the judge disagrees with you, who is wrong?

If a judge prefers Cavies, how is that fair to BD? You indicate you don't want a partial judge for Cavies but then indicate it's okay to bias against BD.

I don't get it. All the statistics in the world could probably not show any significant correlation between judging panel and a certain corps winning, and even if it could, how could you prove it was the wrong decision?

I don't like it that the BD are going to win with this show but I do not believe that the judging panel would change that outcome at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this discussion tells me is that these folks are human, have tastes, biases, etc just like the folks posting. True they shouldn't let those interfere with objectivity, but so much of what is judged is subjective.

Why is the sound of Crown's brass better than Phantom? They are truly different. Is one right/one wrong. If the judge disagrees with you, who is wrong?

If a judge prefers Cavies, how is that fair to BD? You indicate you don't want a partial judge for Cavies but then indicate it's okay to bias against BD.

I don't get it. All the statistics in the world could probably not show any significant correlation between judging panel and a certain corps winning, and even if it could, how could you prove it was the wrong decision?

I don't like it that the BD are going to win with this show but I do not believe that the judging panel would change that outcome at all.

I agree with the bold part of your last statement. Blue Devils have seen pretty much every reputable DCI judge and the outcome hasn't changed for much of the season (hasn't changed at all as far as over-all outcome). Some years a judging panel CAN swing an outcome if competition is really close; anyone who's been on staff of a drum corps (or any other marching band/WGI unit, for that matter) will tell you that it's clear if a judge prefers one style of design over another. But this year, the panel doesn't matter, and if BD continues to perform as they have all season they will have earned their 2010 Championship.

Historically, and even recently, the evidence would tend to disprove the notion that a particular judges panel on finals night can't change the outcome.

I usually post a ton of evidence and numbers and stats on here to back up my belief's ....... but I'm not doing it this time. I really don't care what happens finals night this year. I usually don't care anyway. But, the data is there to prove me right. It can all come down to 1 single judge making the difference (let alone a particular perfect storm of judges). Pie in the sky is fine, but it's naive.

2010 Final Panels

World Class Finals – Saturday, Aug. 14

Brass Performance: Steve Calhoun

Percussion Performance: Allan Kristensen

Ensemble Music: Joe Allison

General Effect Music 1: David Starnes

General Effect Music 2: Glen Fugett

Visual Performance: Robby Overvliet

Ensemble Visual: Debbie Torchia

General Effect Visual 1: Nola Jones

General Effect Visual 2: Richard Kemp

Color Guard: Robert Solomon

Chief Judge: John Phillips

#### DEBBIE TORCHIA

It could be worse for MS then this... :lol:

Edited by Cop

great to see that Allan Kristensen is the perc judge for finals...he's definitely one of THE best judges out there