Best tuba section in dci

Best 2010 Tuba Section  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps has the best tuba section this year?

• Blue Devils
    • Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Stars
    • Madison Scouts
    • Other

I have had the opportunity to rehearse with the Blue Devils and Bluecoats tuba lines and I say the Bluecoats take it.

Their tuba line is just awesome...and there are more of them. lol. :tongue:

I'm not saying they don't sound great, but my beef with devs and coats is that their books aren't that challenging.

listening to that, with the knowledge that the crown tuba section is spread endzone to endzone, just blows my mind

Actually, this recording just further proves to me that their tubas DO NOT CREATE MUSICAL LINES.

There Mahler is just so note-y. There's no line!

I say Bluecoats.

Very disappointed to not see Boston on the list.

Boston is one of few corps this season to not reinforce the contra section with low-end synth.

The only time most corps aren't using low synth is during a contra section feature.

Boston's contra line is holding it down.

Actually, this recording just further proves to me that their tubas DO NOT CREATE MUSICAL LINES.

There Mahler is just so note-y. There's no line!

If each of the 16 tubas tried to create a musical line out of the music, it would sound terrible and individualistic. There actually is a lot of musicality to Crown's hornline - but like all good drum corps, it's established as an ensemble. I think a lot of it is lost simply because it was recorded right next to the bell.

If each of the 16 tubas tried to create a musical line out of the music, it would sound terrible and individualistic. There actually is a lot of musicality to Crown's hornline - but like all good drum corps, it's established as an ensemble. I think a lot of it is lost simply because it was recorded right next to the bell.

If each of the 16 tubas tried to create THEIR OWN musical lines WITH NO REGARDS to what the other 15 were doing, THEN it would sound "terrible and individualistic."

You can--AND SHOULD--establish musical line as an ensemble. In the Mahler especially, these tubas do not. Sorry.

Listening to that, with the knowledge that the Crown tuba section is spread endzone to endzone, just blows my mind.

Oh, that's cool -- love what the sound does to the image!

Blue Devils. Well, I'm biased since my son marches in the "line".

I know you are a proud papa!

If I was trying to be funny, I'd say SCV...because they've got the best 'button pusher' in the top 12...in fact, they dedicate one of their TWO (yes...T W O ) synthesizers to low notes.

But I'm old enough to know I'm NOT funny...so I'll say Bluecoats. They've had the best section since Bob Higgins started working with them in, what 05 or 06? There is NO ONE better for tubas than him -