Blue Devils' surprise at Buffalo

ZING! :tongue:

But still, amazing that it seems no one on DCP went to the show in Buffalo.

I went, but it was the only time I saw BD this year so I have no idea what, if anything, they changed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only to those with bad taste.

Negative but keep on trying. :tongue:

While you are certainly entitled to not like BD's show, you WERE negative too :worthy:

Actually when I saw it live it wasn't so bad. Their talent certainly stands out but the music is just :tongue::mat::worthy: compared to what it could have been. This is the Blue Devils playing Stan Kenton... It could have been so freaking awesome in spite of the gimmicks but the arranging is like musical ambien.

Actually when I saw it live it wasn't so bad. Their talent certainly stands out but the music is just :tongue::mat::worthy: compared to what it could have been. This is the Blue Devils playing Stan Kenton... It could have been so freaking awesome in spite of the gimmicks but the arranging is like musical ambien.

Fair enough

Actually when I saw it live it wasn't so bad. Their talent certainly stands out but the music is just :lol::rolleyes::shutup: compared to what it could have been. This is the Blue Devils playing Stan Kenton... It could have been so freaking awesome in spite of the gimmicks but the arranging is like musical ambien.

No offense, but it's hard to comment on the quality of an arrangement if one is not familiar with the source material. Given that City of Glass was written for an actual orchestra (built around Kenton's band) I thought that what I have heard of BD's show (granted...not live) is very faithful to the original. It is not easy on the ears...but then again Kenton didn't have a problem with that. I think maybe he wanted it to tick people off.

The source music is anything but generic. It is Avant Guard Kenton... So much so, he only played it (City of Glass) live only once. His quote "It's very advanced music, and the average person can't take too much of it."

Also he said: "You're not supposed to understand it, You experience it with your subconscious."

These quotes from good old Stan are right on the money. He probably would have advised against a Drum & Bugle Corps playing Avant Guard music.

Look at the faces in the crowd during a BD performance...lots of people with that Deer in the headlights look, just begging to be entertained.

If I cant whistle the tune, I dont want to hear it on the field.

I can't fathom how someone could say that BD's music this year is "generic.". I can only conclude the you replied to doesn't really understand the definition of the word generic, and /or doesn't know the proper context of how to use the term generic. Kind of like how the majority of people don't know how to use the word "ironic" in proper context (dam you Alanis).

Call their music boring, call it modern, call it weird, call it "different.". But "generic" doesn't seem to have any logical business being used as a description to BD's music rep.

You're right. BD's music this year is boring, modern, weird, & different. You & I can agree on that.

So the surprise is that the drum major runs from Side 1 through the entire hornline to Side 2 where he's confronted by a group of guard members who grab him and throw him behind a mirror as they make the broken glass sound effect again. Pretty lame, although I love some of the music changes that have happened recently.