Blue Devils "B"

I was one of the culprits quoting the 15ish number. I could swear I had gone back and looked at stats in the same manner you did and came to that conclusion, but I did not save it. Based upon what you posted it seems more likely I am either mis-remembering or I had placed too much stock in the Magic year (an outlier). I was probably "not letting the facts get in the way of a good story" so to speak. :tongue:

No worries - it isn't just this year, though. Somehow that number gets thrown around every year as if it is a factual spread.

I'm with most people on the matter, though. At this point, with such few OC corps left, why not just let the cream of the crop compete with WC? Or at the very least, allow them to perform a judged exhibition as a pre-finals performance????

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries - it isn't just this year, though. Somehow that number gets thrown around every year as if it is a factual spread.

I'm with most people on the matter, though. At this point, with such few OC corps left, why not just let the cream of the crop compete with WC? Or at the very least, allow them to perform a judged exhibition as a pre-finals performance????

Once you add the word "judged" it is no longer an exhibition....

So, here's a question (note: this is not a slam or dig on anybody for anything...just a question)

If BDB were the same size as the other Open Class groups or, if other groups were as big as them, would it be more competitive? After watching FN this morning, it is clear that BDB is about twice the size of every other group in the class. Not saying size makes a difference (See 2008 Open Class Finals; OC beats Teal) as BDB is obviously a GREAT corps this season...but, what if Oregon, Revolution or Spartans had the same numbers??? Would things be different???

Again, just a question....

So, here's a question (note: this is not a slam or dig on anybody for anything...just a question)

If BDB were the same size as the other Open Class groups or, if other groups were as big as them, would it be more competitive? After watching FN this morning, it is clear that BDB is about twice the size of every other group in the class. Not saying size makes a difference (See 2008 Open Class Finals; OC beats Teal) as BDB is obviously a GREAT corps this season...but, what if Oregon, Revolution or Spartans had the same numbers??? Would things be different???

Kind of hard to say. But, if the other corps can field 14 year olds as part of their corp, and get the larger group to really perform, then power to them. I am really impressed with the BDB staff, and writers and corp. As for worlds, perhaps a comparison with Teal Sound and Jersey Surf over the last couple of years could help. BDB was ahead of both of them in 09 and 08.

Less sound, obviously...but less to clean visually...I think its somewhat of a wash. BDB is cleaner this year (with more size) than any other corps in OC.

Plus their visual package is better designed (in my opinion)...the quality of design won't change regardless of size. Oh, and BDB beat Teal in '08 with a smaller corps as well...its only been the past two years before they got big.

and the best part is I got to see a roster earlier this year...this is a very young corps. IF they can stay intact, next year should be amazing.

So to answer your question, no...not in my opinion.

Cali.

Edited by Calistar

Less sound, obviously...but less to clean visually...I think its somewhat of a wash. BDB is cleaner this year (with more size) than any other corps in OC.

Plus their visual package is better designed (in my opinion)...the quality of design won't change regardless of size. Oh, and BDB beat Teal in '08 with a smaller corps as well...its only been the past two years before they got big.

and the best part is I got to see a roster earlier this year...this is a very young corps. IF they can stay intact, next year should be amazing.

So to answer your question, no...not in my opinion.

Cali.

Cool. I'll take most of that. I do agree that it always comes down to performance and design. In that order.

The age thing is pretty common amongst Open Class groups. Most have an average age of 15-16 with a few age-outs and older cats scattered through-out the ranks. Cool to hear that BDB is only goign to get stronger. Should be a great representative for the Open Class.

Hopefully those of us up here in the Northwest can start getting more numbers, too. Would be fun to see what we could do with 20-30 more kids!!

Hate to butt in, but very very few Open Class Corps have an average age of 15, or even 16.

My daughter is 17 and has been in BDB for 4 years...trilogy, flight, pursuit, space and 3 years in C corp

Last year, BDB had one age-out and marched 125.

This year, BDB is probably marching 145 kids, mostly via more colorguard.

The night before they head out on tour, the current members from the year before play the previous year's show, I believe its endearingly called hackfest.

I was amazed at how many current members were not involved the year before. The pit, for example, was 2 players plus a 3rd who defected to the horn line this year :)