Well, the Scores are In...

I am not directing this at the OP unless he fits the demographic, but those of you that laughed at us in 2003 with the DCM fiasco, WE TOLD YOU SO!

I hate being right.

I just wonder who the G7 will start feeding on when this new-and-improved model falters.

Judging by the overwhelming response I've read here on DCP ... if those show's are the best that the G7 can offer, I don't thnk too many people will actually be buying tickets. Maybe the guys in the green shirts might go and see them. Oh wait, they get in free.

I want to be entertained ... IMO the following corps suceeded in doing just that Cadets, Blue Star, and Madison with Madison being the most entertaining. The rest I would not be interested in. Just like buying a record ... some times the critic's have it wrong.

Judging by the overwhelming response I've read here on DCP ... if those show's are the best that the G7 can offer, I don't thnk too many people will actually be buying tickets. Maybe the guys in the green shirts might go and see them. Oh wait, they get in free.

I want to be entertained ... IMO the following corps suceeded in doing just that Cadets, Blue Star, and Madison with Madison being the most entertaining. The rest I would not be interested in. Just like buying a record ... some times the critic's have it wrong.

You left out Crown.

... and the dismantling of DCI can now begin... :thumbup:

Or perhaps the rebuilding, Jim Jones/Troopers & Don Warren/Cavaliers are usually credited with the creation of "The Combine" (soon to become DCI) for the betterment of ALL Corps subject, at that time, to the dictates of the AL & VFW. How or if they succeeded, I leave to you.

Perhaps I don't understand the motivation for this G7 move. And while I understand that my ignorance is no excuse. I have an INTENSE gut reaction to some of the Greatest Corps in history abandoning their "less accomplished" Comrades.

In my day, it was all about competing and hopefully WINNING! Now it seems to be all about the Bucks.

I'm old, but still willing to be educated. Help me get over this "Sgt. Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band" prejudice & show me how this situation improves and grows the Drum Corps experience.

BTW, Congratulations, Blue Devils! :thumbup:

Or perhaps the rebuilding, Jim Jones/Troopers & Don Warren/Cavaliers are usually credited with the creation of "The Combine" (soon to become DCI) for the betterment of ALL Corps subject, at that time, to the dictates of the AL & VFW. How or if they succeeded, I leave to you.

Perhaps I don't understand the motivation for this G7 move. And while I understand that my ignorance is no excuse. I have an INTENSE gut reaction to some of the Greatest Corps in history abandoning their "less accomplished" Comrades.

In my day, it was all about competing and hopefully WINNING! Now it seems to be all about the Bucks.

I'm old, but still willing to be educated. Help me get over this "Sgt. Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band" prejudice & show me how this situation improves and grows the Drum Corps experience.

BTW, Congratulations, Blue Devils! :thumbup:

In the "olden days", corps also banded together to assist the less-fortunate corps in their organizations. If the G-7 goes through, there won't be any less-fortunate corps, thus no reason to help... :thumbup:

Jim Jones/Troopers & Don Warren/Cavaliers are usually credited with the creation of "The Combine" (soon to become DCI) for the betterment of ALL Corps subject, at that time, to the dictates of the AL & VFW. How or if they succeeded, I leave to you.
The word credited as used in discussing the creation of the Combine is also subject to discussion. As to the Combine: it never pretended to be interested in the betterment of all corps. That was an invitation-only in-group club from which emanated the term crap corps, a phrase used to describe every D&BC that wasn't to be invited into their elitist little cluster-flock of backslappers.

(Have you heard the story of where and how the Combine idea first came up? It wasn't at a formal banquet or a panelled boardroom, but somehow in retrospect it seems most appropriate.)

That was indeed The Year Drum Corps Died - not so much because of the cavorting clowns and cartoon figures out there, but that the lesson of George Orwell's Animal Farm had hit home: if all drum corps were to be considered equal and to be judged on their merits, some were now by their own definition more equal. As you put it so succinctly:

I have an INTENSE gut reaction to some of the Greatest Corps in history abandoning their "less accomplished" Comrades. In my day, it was all about competing and hopefully WINNING! Now it seems to be all about the Bucks.

Yes. It was then, too. We sure could have used you in 1971.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sure the G-7 is intact.... by One TENTH of a point

if anyone doesn't obviously see the politics involved in this, please please please let me know

there are a few names I would like to mention but won't....

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

• 1 month later...
I am not directing this at the OP unless he fits the demographic, but those of you that laughed at us in 2003 with the DCM fiasco, WE TOLD YOU SO!

I hate being right.

I just wonder who the G7 will start feeding on when this new-and-improved model falters.

The blue stars.