Marie Czapinski

Let's not forget Marie's "love" for the Madison Scouts over the years. Now I will give that in recent years, more often than not, there has been justification for the scores that the boys have received, but if we go back and take a look at the years where they were ####-clean, who was there to rain on the parade, Marie Czapinski.

Oh and on a side note, didn't here husband get fired by the Scouts in the late 70's for his lack of quality while working with the corps :doh:

I guess old issues die hard. :smile:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet this is a criticism of Czapinski.

This just seems the antithesis of the "we don't like slotting" arguments. Well, which way do we want it? Call it like you see it night to night....or keep the nice slotting process and increase every score in every caption 0.1 each night, therefore making the first show of the season the most important?

As a homer for your corps (and I LOVE PR too), is it possible you're a little too close to the subject? Can't everyone find judges who have it out for their corps too?

I'd like to think, again, that we have enough highly talented or potential adjudicators out there in the ranks of alum, band directors, professors, etc that we don't have to SETTLE for such blatant bias. For or against ANY corps.

Again, unless it can be pointed out that PR's performance was simply flat on Friday night, the only other explanation is that this bias needs to be dismissed and shipped off to Holland or BOA.

BTW, I seriously doubt that a Homer would have been as critical of their corps as I have been. Rockford doesn't even return my emails any more. Call me a Homer if you want, but I think that I have earned the right to defend PR on occassion if I am the one willing to call them out as well. Honk if you please, but I criticize those I love the most. That's just me...to each their own.

On a separate note, and for further discussion, anyone know the qualifications that Ms. Czapinski brings to the table? I ask sincerely. I am familiar with Paul Rennick's resume as well as Dr. Nick Williams, Brad Green's, Albert Lo's, etc and many more. Not familiar with Ms. Czapinski's.

Earnest question--what qualifications does it take to judge DCI GE Visual? Music, I would assume, is somewhat obvious. Marching? Teaching? Other adjudication experience?

Or is it an "I knew the Founding Director of DCI and I'm as Legacy as Legacy can get"?

Part of my questioning has to do with my repeated questions pertaining to...what constitutes "General Effect"? I know what I heard in the theater in 2008 at the end of PR's show...it still took the judges another night to recognize THAT General Effect. Me? I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Well, there's your champion!" This despite a TEN YEAR losing streak against the Cavaliers, who still placed in 2nd ahead of PR that night. If THAT wasn't GE, then it's dead!

Part of my questioning has to do with questioning the qualifications of individual judges DCI has had since I was marching. It occurs to me that, if the corps have made as many improvements as they have in the last 15+ years, why, oh why, are we still using the same judges??

Better talent begets a demand for a higher quality of adjudication. And granted, a judge can improve over time, I realize. See also the average age of NBA refs and MLB umpires. And I realize that they have hired new judges over the years. I'd just like to know the resumes and the rolodexes of the current crop.

Any input?

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. There is literally a facebook group titled, 'Fire Marie Czapinski.' Who knew?!? It would seem that Ms. Czapinski has the same effect on the BOA crowd as she does on the DCI crowd since this group is specific to BOA.

Did her husband get fired from James Madison High School in the late 70's as well? Yikes!

Anyway, I would question booting her off to Drum Corps Holland after all...don't want the Dutch cursing our names, you know.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7127...&ref=search

Simply amazing. And would appear that perhaps I'm not all alone in my little rubber raft, eh?

From 'Music For All' web site re: BOA...any corroboration here?

"Marie Czapinski was part of Bands of America before it even existing – she was there when the original incarnation “Marching Bands of America” was just a dream of its founder, she was part of the planning stages and then saw it become a reality. She continues to be instrumental in the organization today.

Marie is an icon in the marching, color guard and visual design worlds of pageantry. It was she who 30 years ago held a BOA-sponsored clinic for 2,000 teachers at Texas Bandsmasters Convention to introduce the use of color guard to marching bands, as at the time drill teams were the only form of pageantry in Texas.

She has been a color guard and visual adjudicator, clinician and leader for Bands of America/Music for All throughout its history. She is a co-founder of Winter Guard International and has been on the board of directors for the Midwest Color Guard Circuit for over 20 years. She is also an adjudicator for WGI and DCI and has appeared in the DCI World Championships Broadcast on ESPN2.

Marie has also impacted the marching arts as a teacher, having instructed bands including Conant High School, IL, three-time Grand National Champion Rocky Mount High School, NC and Union High School, OK. “BOA has always used all of its resources to reach out to decision makers to support music education and continues to be the innovating force,” says Marie."

http://www.musicforall.org/aboutus/hof/2008_MC.aspx

BOA Adjudicators bios:

"Marie Czapinski

Marie Czapinski is a renowned international clinician and adjudicator and has judged and taught in

the U.S., Holland, England and Japan. She judges for Bands of America and Drum Corps

International, often as a member of the Championship panels. Ms. Czapinski was involved in the

formative years of Bands of America and was inducted into the Music For All Hall of Fame in 2008.

She has served on the board of directors for the Midwest Color Guard Circuit for the past 25 years

and was inducted into their Hall of Fame in 1996. She is a co-founder of Winter Guard International

and was chief judge in the formative years. She was inducted into the WGI Hall of Fame in 2000.

Marie is currently the project executive for New West Realty Group L.L.C., a real estate developer in

Chicago. She is the author of a book “Financial Forms for Builders, Developers & Remodelers,”

published and distributed in 2001 by the Home Builders Press, National Association of Home

Builders, Washington D.C."

http://www.musicforall.org/Programs/GN/200....Judge.Bios.pdf

On a separate note, and for further discussion, anyone know the qualifications that Ms. Czapinski brings to the table? I ask sincerely. I am familiar with Paul Rennick's resume as well as Dr. Nick Williams, Brad Green's, Albert Lo's, etc and many more. Not familiar with Ms. Czapinski's.

Earnest question--what qualifications does it take to judge DCI GE Visual? Music, I would assume, is somewhat obvious. Marching? Teaching? Other adjudication experience?

Or is it an "I knew the Founding Director of DCI and I'm as Legacy as Legacy can get"?

Part of my questioning has to do with my repeated questions pertaining to...what constitutes "General Effect"? I know what I heard in the theater in 2008 at the end of PR's show...it still took the judges another night to recognize THAT General Effect. Me? I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Well, there's your champion!" This despite a TEN YEAR losing streak against the Cavaliers, who still placed in 2nd ahead of PR that night. If THAT wasn't GE, then it's dead!

Part of my questioning has to do with questioning the qualifications of individual judges DCI has had since I was marching. It occurs to me that, if the corps have made as many improvements as they have in the last 15+ years, why, oh why, are we still using the same judges??

Better talent begets a demand for a higher quality of adjudication. And granted, a judge can improve over time, I realize. See also the average age of NBA refs and MLB umpires. And I realize that they have hired new judges over the years. I'd just like to know the resumes and the rolodexes of the current crop.

Any input?

WGI has taken over the visual caption (as a whole). Color guard people are most prevalent on panels across the board...and thusly the CG portion of the act is evaluated with great insight and WEIGHT...most color guard people wouldn't know a basics block from a toe ring. Ensemble marching is degrading in quality because of this shift...basic notions of space and line are missing even from the best corps. The cure, IMO, is a required, compulsory, routine *everyone* must be evaluated on, in addition to their field show...oh, and don't have Clarke Williams relegated to Open Class Finals...just sayin'...age is normally a great benefit to *any* profession, until the elder person fails to keep current, then it just may become a liability.

cg

Hmm. Wrote a book. Finance / real estate stuff. Sounds interesting.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL3582645M/Fi..._and_remodelers

Hmm. Email address. Entertaining.