BD Finals Score....something to consider

Going into Finals week, many had a gut feeling BD would surpass the 99.15 mark to set an all time record. Looking at the recaps, they swept every caption, with the exception of percussion (4th) and scoring only .3 from surpassing the record.

Regiment went on very early in the evening, winning the perc. trophy, basically forcing the judges to leave room for those yet to perform. This was probably the worst thing possible for BD.

If Regiment went on later in the evening (slotted even 4th or 5th), with the same amazing line, I believe a 19.9 could have easily been within their grasp. If the scores followed suit, those are the .3 BD was missing to make history.

Thoughts?

I think you have the correct idea of what happened. But something else that you illustrated that I think is more important is that numbers dont mean that much in the end as long as the corps are ranked correctly. The percussion numbers may be lower because of where phantom went on in the show.. however the rankings are right.

when you badly perform the end of your drum break all 3 days, you're not going to get top drums. and given the talent in the top percussion programs this year, even leaving room would not have helped BD's percussion scores.

I think you are forgetting that the percussion score is added to the other two music scores and then divided by 2. To break the record BD would have need

a 19.7 from their line.

There's no way that would happen with 3 lines better than they were.

Well.....that pretty much sums it up then.....I'm gonna go make an *** of myself somewhere else now....

Going into Finals week, many had a gut feeling BD would surpass the 99.15 mark to set an all time record. Looking at the recaps, they swept every caption, with the exception of percussion (4th) and scoring only .3 from surpassing the record.

Regiment went on very early in the evening, winning the perc. trophy, basically forcing the judges to leave room for those yet to perform. This was probably the worst thing possible for BD.

If Regiment went on later in the evening (slotted even 4th or 5th), with the same amazing line, I believe a 19.9 could have easily been within their grasp. If the scores followed suit, those are the .3 BD was missing to make history.

Thoughts?

You could say the same for Cavies in 2002 - sweeping all of the captions but drums - 3rd with a 19.3. They could have surpassed their own record score as well had their drums been better.

On the other hand, Cadets 2005 DID sweep all the captions and finished with a 99.15.

Obviously, you would get a higher score if you did better in any of the captions. :sad:

You could say the same for Cavies in 2002 - sweeping all of the captions but drums - 3rd with a 19.3. They could have surpassed their own record score as well had their drums been better.

On the other hand, Cadets 2005 DID sweep all the captions and finished with a 99.15.

Obviously, you would get a higher score if you did better in any of the captions. :sad:

I think you were missing his valid point that the fact that the caption winner came from the 6th place corps most likely kept scores in that caption being lower for all of the top corps...and I agree with that, but not to the point of making up the .6 BDs line would have needed.

I think it safe to say that had Phantom's line gone on last they would have scored a little higher than 19.6 All of the other high caption scores were better than that.

I think you were missing his valid point that the fact that the caption winner came from the 6th place corps most likely kept scores in that caption being lower for all of the top corps...and I agree with that, but not to the point of making up the .6 BDs line would have needed.

I think it safe to say that had Phantom's line gone on last they would have scored a little higher than 19.6 All of the other high caption scores were better than that.

I gotcha... sorry for missing that point. I think that may be possible but the bottom line is that had phantom gone on last, then that would have affected ALL of the captions, and not just the drums. I do understand the point made by the OP but what seems to be getting lost in the shuffle here is the fact that EVERY caption would have been different - not just the perc performance caption. In other words, BDs final score could have been a 99.4 or a 97.4. :sad:

steve went 99/98 with them Friday night. that's balls.

Perhaps even the a perfect score seeing as those are being thrown around these days. And, had that happened, it would have been just. Phantom was incredible this year. Simply amazing in comp. and execution. All sections. All season. All the time.