Synthesized Woodwind Sounds

I am sorry your ears can't pick up what many of our ears are. I don't mean that in a condescending way. It's almost like when someone thinks marching band is drum corps. They don't understand the difference, even though there is a clear difference.

Actually, you have it backwards.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, we're not talking about audiophile grade equipment here.

Any drum corps using audiophile grade equipment would be foolish and stupid. You use that stuff in your home theater or audio room at home, not on a concert stage or outdoor venue of any kind.

well I know what I saw Rush use when I saw them, and I don't see that stuff in DCI

Any drum corps using audiophile grade equipment would be foolish and stupid. You use that stuff in your home theater or audio room at home, not on a concert stage or outdoor venue of any kind.

What if the bass synth is too loud... :tongue:

then per DCI, it's high box 5

well I know what I saw Rush use when I saw them, and I don't see that stuff in DCI

Trust me, Rush wasn't using audiophile gear. They were using a professionally built live sound support system. There's a HUGE difference.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use Peavy gear for drum corps. I'd use all self-powered speakers (like Mackie). Taking the separate power amplifiers completely out of the equation would be my first step. Mackie in particular makes amazing pro audio gear that not only sounds great, but has the durability you'd need for a drum corps tour (or concert tour for that matter).

You don't have to spend a tremendous amount of money to put together a competent, professional sounding system together. You just have to have folks that know what they are doing. Simply moving your indoor drumline system outside won't cut it, and neither will using home audio gear, no matter what the quality. If you guys want, I'll put together a post with the details and methodology behind Teal Sound's system.

If you guys want, I'll put together a post with the details and methodology behind Teal Sound's system.

I'd love to hear about it. Since you're with Teal, I'll ask, was the guitar amp miked thru the rest of the sound system? Because at Kalamazoo, I could barely hear the guitar, but I didn't notice the rest of the pit seeming quiet. Versus Metamora where the guitar really stood out. I was sitting a lot higher in Kalamazoo, though.

I'd love to hear about it. Since you're with Teal, I'll ask, was the guitar amp miked thru the rest of the sound system? Because at Kalamazoo, I could barely hear the guitar, but I didn't notice the rest of the pit seeming quiet. Versus Metamora where the guitar really stood out. I was sitting a lot higher in Kalamazoo, though.

Yes, the guitar was mic'd through the system. It took us some time to get the system dialed in when we played larger venues. Early season big-stadium shows like Louisville and Kalamazoo were, much like the rest of the corps, works in progress for the system. We also added a second set of main speakers later in the year to solve the projection problem we had in big stadiums.

I'll post a complete gear list later today.

Actually, you have it backwards.

Yes Mike, we know you think Drum Corps is essentially marching band and that you love woodwinds and that you seem to disagree with like 70% of the people on DCP.

I am not advocating using home audiophile gear in a concert venue. I am merely pointing out that $200 speakers ain't going to reproduce acoustical instruments anywhere close to accurately or realistically.

This is just my opinion of course, but at the Murfreesboro show, 7 of the 8 corps had major problems with sound reproduction/quality. The only one I didn't notice it with was Boston, and that's because they had minimal electronics/synth usage.

I didn't get to hear Teal Sound, so I can't comment on that set up at all.

Edited by atlvalet