Those that have tried and failed...we thank you

All these ideas sound good. One thing I think is the most important is it has to be fun. You need a great management / staff team with the heart and the personality to make it happen. Not just in practice and on the field, but after that as well. Practice should not be the only activity. That gets old fast. Take those out of town parades not only as a fund raiser, but as a fun activity to build esprit de corps and to recruit.

Also, mistakes will be made. Management has to know when something isn't working and make a change. Rigid adherence to a plan, no matter what, can lead to disaster. Be flexible. Decisions about hiring the right staff, music selection and finances can make or break a first year corps. Think it through.

Edited by Mike_B

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these ideas sound good. One thing I think is the most important is it has to be fun. You need a great management / staff team with the heart and the personality to make it happen. Not just in practice and on the field, but after that as well. Practice should not be the only activity. That gets old fast. Take those out of town parades not only as a fund raiser, but as a fun activity to build esprit de corps and to recruit.

Amen brother :tongue: . Too many members get up in arms at times due to staff decisions. The staff is there to take care of the necessities. All the member's job is to play and enjoy the activity under the guidance of the staff.

In today's corps members align themselves with the staff. If the staff leaves, so do they.

A majority of Fusion's membership was made up of the Skyliners from 2004-2006 the first couple of years on the field, but grew as the years went on. (Not said to be a cheap shot against Fusion but stating facts as from a member of the Skyliners at that time and knew a majority of the members who went to Fusion). People will have their decisions where to march for whatever reason regardless of distance. I could have driven half the time it took to Sky and marched in Brigs, Empire, or White Sabers (marched W.S. in 2007 while still marching in Sky Alumni due to Sky field corps being sidelined). If the dedication is there, the distance won't be that much of an issue.

Legacy doesn't hurt, either. Cabs, Sky, Bucs and many others have been "home" to multi-generations of the same family.

A majority of Fusion's membership was made up of the Skyliners from 2004-2006 the first couple of years on the field, but grew as the years went on. (Not said to be a cheap shot against Fusion but stating facts as from a member of the Skyliners at that time and knew a majority of the members who went to Fusion). People will have their decisions where to march for whatever reason regardless of distance. I could have driven half the time it took to Sky and marched in Brigs, Empire, or White Sabers (marched W.S. in 2007 while still marching in Sky Alumni due to Sky field corps being sidelined). If the dedication is there, the distance won't be that much of an issue.

Thanks for explaining the Sky-Fusion story. It wasn't my place to tell it.

Edited by Mike_B

Thanks for explaining the Sky-Fusion story. It wasn't my place to tell it.

There have been plenty of corps that have experienced something like what happened between sky and fusion. I am not confirming or denying the specifics, only admitting what I have seen as an active member at that time. To me personally it was an elephant in the room that could not be ignored and when it boils down to it, people are going to do what they are going to do and in the end, it is how you maintain your bearing and composure while continuing with your mission.

*Please do not have this turn into a slander-fest or a debate. If anyone wants to know anything more about it, please go about it via private message or contact the Fusion Corps/Skyliners Field Corps administration staff for any questions, comments, or concerns.*

*Please do not have this turn into a slander-fest or a debate. If anyone wants to know anything more about it, please go about it via private message or contact the Fusion Corps/Skyliners Field Corps administration staff for any questions, comments, or concerns.*

Talked to a couple of Fusion members when this first hit and what you posted matches what I was told. Good to hear it from both sides. Just comes to to personal choice when people have a choice in what corps to march. LOL, I marched my corps because it was close but as "long distance Sr corps" started up full blast saw more and more people switching. Most switching occured because they were going to a more successful corps, wanted a better "fit" for themselves or just trying that corps out for a season.

Edit: Just so there is no misunderstanding, I didn't go after Fusion members to nose around. We were at the same parade and started talking to a staff member while watching the horn line. As I got to see people choose between Westshore and the Buccs BITD we understood each other totally.

OT: My very first corps never got out of the practice room. With due respect to the people who tried to put this together, a lack of full planning and finances hurt. We had a couple of out of date horns (could have suffered for a while with that) but only one piece of music. Practice was basically going over the music then sitting around wondering how we could get more people in with the other 20 or so warm bodies. Ironic thing was the corps ended up merging with another corps that was getting back together which had the music and was getting the horns, but was low on the warm bodies.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Good points indeed. I am first to admit that when the split happened it tore me to pieces but as time went along I found there were more important things in life. Yea it hurt for a long time and I kinda felt betrayed a little because a lot of my buddies who preached Gabarina this and Garbarina that were all of a sudden in a different uniform and so forth and to what I believed for a long time was they were kind of "Jim Jones'd" into joining a different corps by means of metaphorical poison kool-aid. I am a traditionalist and I have pride in what corps I belonged in. If it was any other corps I started in and not Sky, chances are I would be gung ho for them. I will be a Skyliner 'till the day I die regardless of form. I hope that it does come back in it's glory and stays a front runner in DCA and Drum Corps in general. I also hope that there will be no complications between the Sky and Fusion because a corps founded in spite is doomed to fail. Success is NOT measured by how many victories you have but by how you maintain your composure after suffering a crushing and debilitating defeat. On that note, as a LIFE TIME Skyliner, I wish all corps success and leave the competitions where it belongs... On the score sheets.

Edited by Skydrummer9

In today's corps members align themselves with the staff. If the staff leaves, so do they.

I hate this! It seems to be an unfortunate reality in drum corps today. I'm a traditionalist and stuck with my competitive corps for 17 years through thick and thin, plus multiple staff and management changes. I eventually left because of financial reasons (I couldn't afford it anymore), wanting more free time to spend with family and having lost the desire to compete anymore, especially after finally winning a title with them which left nothing else to accomplish in my competitive career. I suppose those organizations who lose those staff loyal members need to figure out how to build loyalty to the corps itself.

I'd take out proximity to a large corps. Look at Fusion ~ within a less than 100 mile radius they have Cabs, Bush, and well Reading. Yes, they came in at 110.0 miles from Dover NJ but you get my point.

People will go where they want to go, proximity or not.

You forgot Bridgemen Alumni, Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, BSGK, Hurcs, and Cadets. Each organization has there own appeal and people will march where they want to march, no matter how far away it is.