Cadets Championship drought?

If continually scoring in the mid-90s can be considered a drought, it's a drought lots of corps would love to have...Championship titles or not.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I always cared about scores until I actually toured with one (driving the equipment semitruck), and after watching competitions all summer long, I no longer care about scores. I only care about what shows are entertaining to me. After watching SCV for the first time in Cypress, TX I never had any desire to watch that show again - but I would always try to catch the Scouts, or Academy, Bluecoats, Cadets, and the Blue Stars. No other show was entertaining to me, and I found myself thinking that I couldn't care less that the Cavaliers are taking the field in 10 minutes, or that Crown was going to be there, in fact I hated their show. And it was odd to me, because Ive been such a huge drum corps fan for the past 11 years. Maybe I grew numb...but I realized that scores mean nothing anymore, judges are biased, entertainment value means nothing to judges (If this was true, than SCV would not have scored as high on GE as they did - that show had no effect on me besides leaving me spitting with anger for bastardizing Bartok's music). As far as i'm concerned, the Bluecoats won this year - they had the best show. And no, I didn't drive Bluecoats' truck.

You know, I always cared about scores until I actually toured with one (driving the equipment semitruck), and after watching competitions all summer long, I no longer care about scores. I only care about what shows are entertaining to me. After watching SCV for the first time in Cypress, TX I never had any desire to watch that show again - but I would always try to catch the Scouts, or Academy, Bluecoats, Cadets, and the Blue Stars. No other show was entertaining to me, and I found myself thinking that I couldn't care less that the Cavaliers are taking the field in 10 minutes, or that Crown was going to be there, in fact I hated their show. And it was odd to me, because Ive been such a huge drum corps fan for the past 11 years. Maybe I grew numb...but I realized that scores mean nothing anymore, judges are biased, entertainment value means nothing to judges (If this was true, than SCV would not have scored as high on GE as they did - that show had no effect on me besides leaving me spitting with anger for bastardizing Bartok's music). As far as i'm concerned, the Bluecoats won this year - they had the best show. And no, I didn't drive Bluecoats' truck.

hey good post! :tongue:

And thanks for using the highlighted phrase correctly... for all intents and purposes... :tongue: I suppose I COULD care less, but it's nice to see someone who correctly says "I couldn't care less" once in a while... so I do care.

:worthy: LOL

Some of their most successful shows were build around a single composer rather than an "theme" per se.

How about some Hindemith? Haven't seen an entire Hindemith show ever that I can think of.

Just march your butts off and play the snot out of it.

(Yes I know Spring HS did this in 93 and won Grand Nationals .... but that was band)

entertainment value means nothing to judges (If this was true, than SCV would not have scored as high on GE as they did

:tongue:

So you're saying that SCV's show was objectively unentertaining? To me it doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance.

I found myself thinking that I couldn't care less that the Cavaliers are taking the field in 10 minutes, or that Crown was going to be there, in fact I hated their show. And it was odd to me, because Ive been such a huge drum corps fan for the past 11 years. Maybe I grew numb...but I realized that scores mean nothing anymore

I don't think there are many fans out there who actually judge shows by the scores they get. I'm pretty sure that disagreeing with the judges on how they scored GE predates your 11 years of fandom.

Finally, if you only enjoyed four shows this year, I worry about you. This was an awesome year in terms of entertainment.

Wait, what was this thread about? :tongue:

How about some Hindemith? Haven't seen an entire Hindemith show ever that I can think of.

:tongue: I would worship at the feet of George Hopkins if he did this. Also, leave Mathis der Maler alone and tackle something unusual. Concert Music for Piano, Brass, and Harps has some incredible brass lines. And there's an amazing tuba solo in there that would be awesome on the field. Symphony in B-flat! Concert Music for Strings and Brass!

What flavor?

Blueberries. Or Pecans. Or both.

Wait, what was this thread about? :tongue:

Droughts. And waffles. And drum corps.

It's no coincidence that Hoppy is working to create an imovable drum corps elite that includes the Cadets. The man is anything but stupid, and IMO is recognizing that the Cadets brand in and of itself may not be enough to keep certain "outsiders" from giving them a run for their money in the years to come.

#### .... u figured me out

:tongue: I would worship at the feet of George Hopkins if he did this. Also, leave Mathis der Maler alone and tackle something unusual. Concert Music for Piano, Brass, and Harps has some incredible brass lines. And there's an amazing tuba solo in there that would be awesome on the field. Symphony in B-flat! Concert Music for Strings and Brass!

this would be a big NO! ... sorry.