A Plea to the Phantom Regiment Organization

I think the Regiment will be fine, while the Rennick's were talented and brought the level of percussion at PR up a few notches...they still had the PR brand behind their short tenure to enable this to happen. I believe they have turned into thinking they are the Gods of drum corps percussion and clearly self promote. If you look online you will find a website (www.paulrennick.com) and a youtube channel devoted to himself with videos of him pounding his sticks in front of the talented members of the PR drumline. You have to know he had people take those videos of him...doing close ups of his face, leaving out the center snare drummer or any other faces of the staff & drumline, etc. He has even posted PR videos online since he resigned....how self indulgent is that? It is like going through a divorce and posting pictures of the great children you left behind in an effort to recruit the next wife and kids. Perhaps the success PR admins and MMs enabled him went to his head????

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Regiment will be fine, while the Rennick's were talented and brought the level of percussion at PR up a few notches...they still had the PR brand behind their short tenure to enable this to happen. I believe they have turned into thinking they are the Gods of drum corps percussion and clearly self promote. If you look online you will find a website (www.paulrennick.com) and a youtube channel devoted to himself with videos of him pounding his sticks in front of the talented members of the PR drumline. You have to know he had people take those videos of him...doing close ups of his face, leaving out the center snare drummer or any other faces of the staff & drumline, etc. He has even posted PR videos online since he resigned....how self indulgent is that? It is like going through a divorce and posting pictures of the great children you left behind in an effort to recruit the next wife and kids. Perhaps the success PR admins and MMs enabled him went to his head????

Now sure, Rennick might have an ego.....but let's be honest here. How many drum titles did PR win before Rennick? Having Phantom talent certainly helped Rennick get the lines good, but PR def. benefitted from Rennick too. That's how it's supposed to work. PR hired him to do exactly what he did for them. Now he's moving on, for whatever reason. PR will move on too. Both will hopefully continue to be successful.

Are you a percussionist? Do you know the man? Because you're not even close here.

Wonder how many players will follow him, That will happen. Do you think it was PR that drew the talent? It was being able to play in his line that drew the talent, is my guess. The man writes tasty beats, and he draws players.

Are you a percussionist? Do you know the man? Because you're not even close here.

Wonder how many players will follow him, That will happen. Do you think it was PR that drew the talent? It was being able to play in his line that drew the talent, is my guess. The man writes tasty beats, and he draws players.

Does this mean that the people in the SCV percussion section who did not age out will be pushed aside to make way for the droves of PR percussionists who want to move to SCV to continue with Paul?

Now sure, Rennick might have an ego.....but let's be honest here. How many drum titles did PR win before Rennick? Having Phantom talent certainly helped Rennick get the lines good, but PR def. benefitted from Rennick too. That's how it's supposed to work. PR hired him to do exactly what he did for them. Now he's moving on, for whatever reason. PR will move on too. Both will hopefully continue to be successful.

Could it be that maybe, just maybe, Paul Rennick benefitted from being with PR as well?

He stayed there 8 years - 4 under the direction of Rick Valenzuela. He even stayed after the 2009 season which one would assume would be when their instructors would have high-tailed it out of Rockford.

Edited by LincolnV

Do you think maybe, just maybe, Paul Rennick benefitted from being with PR as well?

Absolutely!!! He didn't exactly go to Pio!

No, I am not a percussionist and I don't know Paul personally, but I do have an opinion on the matter based upon his self-indulging/self-promoting web presence. While Scott Johnson has created his own brand, he is entitled to do so because he stays put and is committed.

It is clear he uses his North Texas position to be a training ground for his corps members...however if he is as great as everyone and himself claims, why would he not have a winning line EVERY year!?!?

The Regiment has a good thing going in their traditions which are a part of the total package for a corps member to pursue. The Rennick's participated very well, and if they had stayed instead of baling, then they could have been there to continue influencing and shaping those traditions. If they think leaving for SCV is greener grass...have at it, and PR will still be okay.

and chances are the corps will say it's thanks and good byes to paul rennick and subel when they announce who is taking over. It doesn't make much sense to make a big update just to say someone resigned or was fired.

Finally, common sense! :thumbup: