DCW article regarding touring...

Fascinating -- I had no idea this idea had been officially proposed before. However, despite my repeated suggestions here that audience response needs to be a factor in the way corps are rewarded --I suggested two systems, like the movies, which are rewarded both with Oscars and with box office returns: judges' rankings for prestige and fans' rankings for money-- I do think this has its own risks. Popular Hollywood movies tend to be formulaic and often not very good.

Maybe prize money could be divied up between the score winner and the fan favorite winner. Of course, mom and dad will stuff the ballot box for Billy's team so is a fan favorite vote even fair?...ugh I gotta stop being so negative :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a fan of "fan favoriting" as part of the score; my feeling is that the GE sheets simply need to be rewritten to emphasize effective communication of a show's idea or presentation to the audience (as opposed to rewarding something just because the staff has browbeat the judges into buying their internal discussions re: the design).

To my mind, it's a shame Devils never had to actually live up to the standard of successfully communicating to the audience what they were trying to do to this year. If the judges told them that people weren't getting what the show was trying to do, they could have made modifications that would have changed the show from something that was impressive, but distant, to something that really made an effort to get the audience talking in terms more sophisticated than just "I didn't like it."

(To clarify, Scott Stewart presented the concept as part of his RAMD symposium paper back in the mid to late 90s - I don't know if it was ever presented formally to the other Board members.)

Edited by mobrien

Not really a fan of "fan favoriting" as part of the score; my feeling is that the GE sheets simply need to be rewritten to emphasize effective communication of a show's idea or presentation to the audience (as opposed to rewarding something just because the staff has browbeat the judges into buying their internal discussions re: the design).

To my mind, it's a shame Devils never had to actually live up to the standard of successfully communicating to the audience what they were trying to do to this year. If the judges told them that people weren't getting what the show was trying to do, they could have made modifications that would have changed the show from something that was impressive, but distant, to something that really made an effort to get the audience talking in terms more sophisticated than just "I didn't like it."

(To clarify, Scott Stewart presented the concept as part of his RAMD symposium paper back in the mid to late 90s - I don't know if it was ever presented formally to the other Board members.)

Anyone know if this missive is still around to read?

I did find it curious that apparently corps staff meets with some or all of the judges before a show to help lay out what their show is about. Am I wrong about that, because that seems... odd.

I did find it curious that apparently corps staff meets with some or all of the judges before a show to help lay out what their show is about. Am I wrong about that, because that seems... odd.

It's been going on since dirt was young (though it used to be at the post-show critique).

Just found Scott Stewart's RAMD paper online. Worth reading, especially in light of the general agreement at this point in time that the last 10 or 12 years haven't necessarily been a period of overall growth for the activity.

Edited by mobrien

Hoppy is so out of touch with the Drum Corps community he might as well live on Mars.

It called "Pre-tique", and it replaced the end of show critiques. At our show we had to provide a meeting space where the corps directors trooped in to talk with judges about what they were about to see. I sat within earshot of these discussions and, although I'll not give away details, it was quite amazing to hear the corps staff try to educate the judges. I kept feeling that the whole exercise took the place of letting the show speak for itself and, afterward, I kept thinking of that judge who went completely to pieces the year Troopers came back from the dead (anyone have the link? Please post again...). Nobody had to explain Troopers' show to him before-hand; it spoke for itself.

And (this is my personal perspective) I would have been insulted if I had been a judge in these "get-togethers". The staff generally talked down to them, and made comments as if they were talking to a 5 year old or a judge who had never adjudicated anything in his life (again, my personal perception that is, in reality, completely meaningless).

I've always felt an explanation of why a judged viewed the show the way he did is much more useful than a pre-determination of how he should judge the show. But that's just me...

Edited by garfield

It's been going on since dirt was young (though it used to be at the post-show critique).

Just found Scott Stewart's RAMD paper online. Worth reading, especially in light of the general agreement at this point in time that the last 10 or 12 years haven't necessarily been a period of overall growth for the activity.

Thanks for the link, Mobrien.

yea, this is when the corps staff explains how many points they should be awarded for each aspect of their show and explains things that the judges wouldn't figure out, aka what the corps programmed poorly.

that paper deserves it's own thread