Pacific Crest Sneak Preview 2003

Pacific Crest proved beyond doubt that it is ready for Open Class competition when it debuted its 2003 program before approximately 400 friends and family last night at Los Altos High School.

This year's program, "Invocacion a Poderosos", is based primarily upon music from a ballet by Argentinean Composer Alberto Ginastera, with additional music by Rene DuPere. Like past PC shows, the music certainly has its dark, dissonant and esoteric moments (which, frankly, this reviewer does not particularly care for). However, much of show has music that should appeal to the casual corps fan. For instance, the opener begins with a very pretty melody that slowly builds for about a minute into a very nice and LOUD initial impact. The impact is visually accented by the guard's use of 3x3x3 foot cubes constructed out of aluminum pole, which are placed on a point and spun, creating a wonderful shimmering effect under the lights (very similar to something Star of Indiana did in 1993 with their props).

The musical highlight of the show is probably the third movement, a swing number that has a much different feel than the rest of the show (I presume that this is the DuPere piece). During this piece the percussion -- particularly the snares -- show off some very difficult and flashy solos, and the horn line parks and cranks out some big-time sound. This production number is reminiscent of the Cadets' "Swing, Swing, Swing" and "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" in terms of feel, style and placement in the show, although PC's tune is not quite as raucous.

Pacific Crest fielded a corps of 56 horns (18 tpt/10 FH/18 euph /10 tuba), 32 percussion (8s/5t/5b/5cym/9pit), 27 guard and 2DM, with a couple holes last night. All sections are strong. As can be expected this time of year, the corps still plays noticably better during standstill than on the move but that problem surely will be licked by Finals. It bears noting that PC is a little bit ahead of where they were this time last year AND since they are extending their season until Finals, they will have three more weeks to clean than they ever have had in the past.

The corps is performing an Open Class caliber production. The music and drill is notably more difficult and sophisticated than in past years, and the mature membership appears up to the challenge. The performance level was quite high for this time of the year, especially given this corps' limited practice schedule as compared to its Division I competitors. However, given the strong competition in Open Class, and their limited touring, the realist in me says that they likely will not be a finalist contender this year. The program, while solid and more challenging than past efforts, is still perhaps a notch less demanding and innovative as the typical finalist-caliber show.

But the corps certainly will be a Semi-Finalist contender, and this year's program is a progression up the ladder from last year's show. The corps has improved every year since its debut in 1993, and this year is no exception. Having consistently moved up through the ranks of Divisions III and II, it will be fascinating to see where the corps will go from here.

So Cal Dream

Prior to the PC Sneak Preview, I swung by Loara H.S. to catch the end of So Cal Dream's practice, and their first dress rehearsal of the season. While the performance is still rough, by the end of the season this will be a production that this first-season-on-the-field corps will be proud of. The corps is playing latin-flavored music from the movie "The Mambo Kings," including drum corps standard "Malaga." The corps is marching a well-balanced group of about 28 horns (approx 8 sops, 6 mids, 8 baris, 6 contras), 11 battery (4s/2t/4b/1c) and 12 guard. The corps has new uniforms this year, which I will keep under wraps until the first show but for this hint: VK meets Renegades.

The strength of the corps right now is clearly the horn line, which puts out good sound, and has several fine soloists. The corps has a very committed membership, and some obvious talent in all sections, that will provide excellent building blocks for the future. The resumes of the members read like a "Who's Who" of top drum corps, from west coast powers BD, SCV and VK, to midwest and eastern favorites including Phantom and Archer-Epler Musketeers. VK Garry told me that they are following a 5-year development plan similar to the Renegades, and are actually a year ahead of schedule (uh-oh). Like most start-up corps, they need more members, volunteers and money, and hopefully their performances this year will help attract all three.

This is shaping up to be the strongest drum corps season on the West Coast since 1992 -- I can't wait to get it started!

Rob W.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The corps has a very committed membership....

And a few members who should BE committed!!!

Thanks for the review!

Yeah...I thought the same thing about our unis...I wasn't sure how the design would work until we threw them on (although I'd had mine on since returning from lunch), but you know what? They look pretty #####in' when we're on the field!!

Soooooooooo...when are YOU joining Dream?? :huh:

Edited by 84BDsop

Peer . . . pressure . . . getting . . . hard to . . . resist . . . . . . must . . . hold . . . . . . on.  :P

We know where you live! ^0^

And I hear we're performing a recruiting concert right in your neck o' da woods...MMWHHAAAA!!!!!!

Glad to hear things are going well with SCD. It almost makes me wish that I still lived in SoCal.....almost, but not quite. Nothing against SCD, just can't handle that traffic anymore.

BTW, Dave...did I ever tell you that Sean is our mello soloist in the ballad??

I still lived in SoCal.....almost,

What traffic? :huh:

Hey you don't have to live here. We have members coming in from Phoenix and Las Vegas and San Diego. Come Dream with us!

And a few members who should BE committed!!!

Hey Sam. They were talking about committed members, not staff. :huh:

Dan

Glad to hear things are going well with SCD. It almost makes me wish that I still lived in SoCal.....almost, but not quite. Nothing against SCD, just can't handle that traffic anymore.

BTW, Dave...did I ever tell you that Sean is our mello soloist in the ballad??

That's cool. The rat ######## still hasn't emailed me or anything. Hit him in the stomach for me and tell him to email me at davland@hotmail.com. Thanks.