skipping juniors

IF UR LOOKING TO GO PRO AS A PLAYER, nothing beats a full tour for the conditioning and long term muscle memory... cant afford it? its easy..... take ur horn, drum, flag, etc and make money with it on the off season.. if u want it bad enough, youll get it.. how do u think i afforded to do pioneer from pa? i worked as a drummer...

confident in what u do? SELL IT.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey everyone, I'm just exploring some options right now, and with all the excitement of finals and whatnot, it got me thinking a little bit...

what are some of your thoughts about skipping DCI to march DCA? Including next season, I would have 2 years of eligibility in DCI, but at this point I'm not sure if I can really afford it, especially since I will also be marching in a world class indoor percussion line this season.

DCI is getting way, way out of control as far as expenses go... and that is seriously not a knock on DCI. I know the activity is insanely expensive, especially with gas being as much as it is, and food costs rising. It's just that I'm a full time college student, and I really don't know if I will be able to afford it. So what are your thoughts?

Well, if it is DCA or not march at all due to $$$..I'd go with DCA in a heartbeat. Maybe a year of each??? DCA next year and DCI your age-out if finances permit?

I'm thinking this is probably going to be my best option.

this is sound advice... there can be no rule because it all depends on each individual circumstance... the great thing now is that the movement after a year or more of training in a DCA corps back to winning a spot in a major DCI corps is easier than ever... the training received is first rate and generally (of course depending on your personal ability level) sets you up well for major auditions. The crossing of staffs will give you connections with potential dci corps that you would never get elsewhere... these guys all know each other and are often doing both... For instance, Empire's wonderful Scarecrow was boston crusaders color guard guru Matt Winans... can he dance or what?

There was a time when I saw people literally postpone their education to do tour... this is NOT wise... DCA would be a much better alternative that can more easilly be fit into a schedule both time wise and financially...

That being said, marching at least one tour with a major corps is no doubt a wonderful experience - especially if being a pro musician or band director is in your dreams... When I was director of a major top 5 DCA corps, we actually offered to assist in the tuition of any of our members who "make" a major DCI corps... worked out great for us as they came back as staff members.

This may sound funny coming from me who has devoted over 55 years to the activity... but drum corps isn't everything... make sure you have your priorities in the right order... then when you do fit drum corps in it becomes a crutch that holds you up to success in everything you do in life... due to the discipline, dedication and obvious people skills the activity breeds...

Enjoy and keep well...

I myself have never marched DCI... I've been a member of where I am since 1997, and I was 15. My sister's rookie year with the corps was 95 (an amazing rookie season for her) and she was 16. Previously she had gone to try out for Cadets and my dad felt she was too young, and friends of ours marched here, and suggested she should come to Cabs. We've been there since. She did take one year off to do DCI, and marched her age out with Blue Coats in 2000, also a great year to be with that corps. I am going into my 16th season with Cabs (considering as a family we started in 95), and with the average age of the corps now, I almost feel like I'm in DCI... and I'm one of the oldies now! Imagine that!

Do I regret not doing DCI when I had the chance? A little bit... but I've had other opportunities to do other things that better define me than DCI would. And they're opportunities that I wouldn't have had if is HAD done DCI.

I have a lot of friends that have only done one year of DCI despite the multiple seasons of DCA that they've done. And they have all agreed that it was an amazing experience... and that one year was always their age outs.

It is expensive. Some people don't have the money, but there is the opportunity to fund raise and gain money from sponsorships. My sister paid for most of her tour that way.

IF you plan on only doing one year, I would say march your age out. And march somewhere you want to march, not just somewhere so you can win. That's always been my motto. You want to enjoy yourself. You're paying money to do it. You might as well go where you want to.

Good luck to you!

I'll give you the same general advice I give to the juniors in our corps. I'll also give you the same caveats.

If there's a DCI corps you love march there, at least your age-out year. But...

Not if it means you'll miss a shot at a scholarship to university.

Not if it means you'll jeopardize the financial stability of yourself or your family.

Not if it means skipping a year of formal education.

Not if it means missing your only chance to work with a leader in your field.

Not if it means missing a class in a rigid course of study, thereby delaying your graduation by two years.

You get the idea. Best wishes!

Robert