DCA Finals Thoughts

Great night of drum corps. i got to see all the corps except Star United Mini Corps. i was seated on the 30, to the left of the 50 in the upper deck. My comments are from a brass player's perspective.....

Kilties- Glad to have the chance to see them. My favorite Kiltie show in many years.... Recognizable music with interesting twists. They had a nice mix of old skool, and contemporary moves in the drill. Brass had a really powerful sound. Thought the low brass really blended well. Sops had a few individuals sticking out at times. Enjoyed the treatments of Bohemian Rhapsody and Ride of the Valkyries. Liked their use of body movements/ poses. Very enjoyable show-it flew by.

Govenairies- If anybody knows how to program a an entertaining show for small corps it's these guys. Of course you still have to have the talent to pull it off, and they do! Only 15 brass, but they have excellent balance. They move with confidence and you can tell they enjoy performing. Highlights for me were Night in Tunsia- very ambitious and well done , and The "Saints" closer. Well done!

Grenadiers- much improved over last year. The mellos, who were taken to task in a review about a week ago, were on tonight. Very nice field coverage, and to me their guard was clearly the best in their class. I believe their show is Stormworks, and they effectively used various storm effects throughout th program. Drum line was very aggressive, and the pit very complimentary to the ensemble. Hornline projected very well for their size.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...post&f=227#

Carolina Gold- Another corps much improved over last year. They move well, and I thought they had the cleanest percussion. Nice use of a high note soloist in the pit. Their show "primary Suspects" utilizes detective/who dunnit type music to great effect. I though I heard excerpts of Inspector Gadget in the show.

Hornline also was well balanced. Entertaining program. I thought they won Class A.

Fusion Core- New uniforms look really nice. Drill-wise they move very well. Brass at times had people that stuck out of the ensemble. Overall the corps was well balanced, but nothing really jumped out at me as a standout area.

Bush- I thought their entry onto the field was really interesting with the voodoo motif and jungle drums. Was excited to see they had grown in size to about 32 brass. That said, after the on field entry the show as disapointing. The Guard was very good - the highlight of the show for me. Percussion seemed Ok, but the brass had individuals sticking out all over the place, and to mee never really sold the show. Not sure how they beat the Renegades...

Renegades- Well their not as good as past editions, but still are quite entertaining.... The program is also music associated with space... Opened with 2001 a space odessey, and mixing in sections of The Planets. My favorite was their arrangement of the JETSONS THEME- very cool with some stratospheric sop work. The mellos had some really nice features during the show. The screaming sops are still there, however unlike in past years, you can hear individuals sticking out, which diminishes the effectiveness. In my opinion there is no way Bush beats them- not even close. Thanks for coming east again, it's much appreciated.

Corpsvets- Really powerful brass sound, and probably their best percussion section yet. In my opinion they got stronger as the show went on. Had a couple of shakey attacks brass-wise, but recovered nicely. Their mello line was outstanding- some really in-tune wailing going on there! love the new uniforms. Enjoyed the show.

Alliance- Their show "For whom the bell tolls" made very effective use of a mini bell tower with legit bell in it, They had an inidividual dressed like the grim reaper, ringing the bell, in time throuout the show- no easy task as that thing had to be quite heavy. They are very solid corps with an exciting aggressive, large drum line. Don'y know nything they played, but it was very well performed.

Kidsgove Scouts- One of several favorites of mine tonight. Had some of the loudest horn hits of the night, plus some excellent sop solo work, along with a nice low brass quintet. They move during their show, and as I saw them getting ready to perform at Bridgeport, they're a little older than a typical DCA corps- props to them.

Another show that hed my interest throughout. The "opening of the safe bit" was really cool. It was real treat to have this corps at DCA. Oh yeah, their contra line was one of the best tonight- high quality sound, and nailed their features.

Cabs- WOW! They were on fire tonight, had them over the Hurcs. Loved how they mixed the rumps variations into the show. Drum line was smoking.... Their sop soloists were the best they've had in years. Overall hornline sound was very exciting. They did a sop feature in one tune that had me almost jump out of my seat- very well done. They also did something cool with the snares where they traded playing back and forth, in alternating duets which was a great effect. Great job!

Hurcs- Well, I expected more. Solid corps ( particularly the guard and drum line) but no real high points for me in this show. They seemed to march quite well, but the hornline in my opinion was lacking energy.

Empire- My favorite show of the night! I agree with their placement, but boy were they entertaining. This Wizard/Wiz/Wicked show had something for everybody, great melodies, cool characters, interesting props, outstanding soloists, great use of color , exciting arrangements played extremely well... it was all there!

It pulled me and everybody around me out of our seats. Great show Statesmen!

MBI- Well in other years this show might have won. An excellent package- outstanding brass and percussion, interesting theme and drill, plus extremely well performed. People rag on them for their pit soloists, but i FELT They were used very effectively ( and they were outstanding to boot). My favorite pieces were Scherazade, and Caravan very cool arrangements.

Bucs- outstanding production- no doubt in my mind who the champs were. They have the complete package. Tremendous percussion section - I think they'd give some DCI lines a run for their money... Loved the herald trumpets....Like others have said, they've raised the bar at DCA and that's a good thing... Congratulations BUCS!

RCC

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. Pretty much echos what Kevin and crew were saying on the DCP live feed.

Great night of drum corps. i got to see all the corps except Star United Mini Corps. i was seated on the 30, to the left of the 50 in the upper deck. My comments are from a brass player's perspective.....

Kilties- Glad to have the chance to see them. My favorite Kiltie show in many years.... Recognizable music with interesting twists. They had a nice mix of old skool, and contemporary moves in the drill. Brass had a really powerful sound. Thought the low brass really blended well. Sops had a few individuals sticking out at times. Enjoyed the treatments of Bohemian Rhapsody and Ride of the Valkyries. Liked their use of body movements/ poses. Very enjoyable show-it flew by.

Govenairies- If anybody knows how to program a an entertaining show for small corps it's these guys. Of course you still have to have the talent to pull it off, and they do! Only 15 brass, but they have excellent balance. They move with confidence and you can tell they enjoy performing. Highlights for me were Night in Tunsia- very ambitious and well done , and The "Saints" closer. Well done!

Grenadiers- much improved over last year. The mellos, who were taken to task in a review about a week ago, were on tonight. Very nice field coverage, and to me their guard was clearly the best in their class. I believe their show is Stormworks, and they effectively used various storm effects throughout th program. Drum line was very aggressive, and the pit very complimentary to the ensemble. Hornline projected very well for their size.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...post&f=227#

Carolina Gold- Another corps much improved over last year. They move well, and I thought they had the cleanest percussion. Nice use of a high note soloist in the pit. Their show "primary Suspects" utilizes detective/who dunnit type music to great effect. I though I heard excerpts of Inspector Gadget in the show.

Hornline also was well balanced. Entertaining program. I thought they won Class A.

Fusion Core- New uniforms look really nice. Drill-wise they move very well. Brass at times had people that stuck out of the ensemble. Overall the corps was well balanced, but nothing really jumped out at me as a standout area.

Bush- I thought their entry onto the field was really interesting with the voodoo motif and jungle drums. Was excited to see they had grown in size to about 32 brass. That said, after the on field entry the show as disapointing. The Guard was very good - the highlight of the show for me. Percussion seemed Ok, but the brass had individuals sticking out all over the place, and to mee never really sold the show. Not sure how they beat the Renegades...

Renegades- Well their not as good as past editions, but still are quite entertaining.... The program is also music associated with space... Opened with 2001 a space odessey, and mixing in sections of The Planets. My favorite was their arrangement of the JETSONS THEME- very cool with some stratospheric sop work. The mellos had some really nice features during the show. The screaming sops are still there, however unlike in past years, you can hear individuals sticking out, which diminishes the effectiveness. In my opinion there is no way Bush beats them- not even close. Thanks for coming east again, it's much appreciated.

Corpsvets- Really powerful brass sound, and probably their best percussion section yet. In my opinion they got stronger as the show went on. Had a couple of shakey attacks brass-wise, but recovered nicely. Their mello line was outstanding- some really in-tune wailing going on there! love the new uniforms. Enjoyed the show.

Alliance- Their show "For whom the bell tolls" made very effective use of a mini bell tower with legit bell in it, They had an inidividual dressed like the grim reaper, ringing the bell, in time throuout the show- no easy task as that thing had to be quite heavy. They are very solid corps with an exciting aggressive, large drum line. Don'y know nything they played, but it was very well performed.

Kidsgove Scouts- One of several favorites of mine tonight. Had some of the loudest horn hits of the night, plus some excellent sop solo work, along with a nice low brass quintet. They move during their show, and as I saw them getting ready to perform at Bridgeport, they're a little older than a typical DCA corps- props to them.

Another show that hed my interest throughout. The "opening of the safe bit" was really cool. It was real treat to have this corps at DCA. Oh yeah, their contra line was one of the best tonight- high quality sound, and nailed their features.

Cabs- WOW! They were on fire tonight, had them over the Hurcs. Loved how they mixed the rumps variations into the show. Drum line was smoking.... Their sop soloists were the best they've had in years. Overall hornline sound was very exciting. They did a sop feature in one tune that had me almost jump out of my seat- very well done. They also did something cool with the snares where they traded playing back and forth, in alternating duets which was a great effect. Great job!

Hurcs- Well, I expected more. Solid corps ( particularly the guard and drum line) but no real high points for me in this show. They seemed to march quite well, but the hornline in my opinion was lacking energy.

Empire- My favorite show of the night! I agree with their placement, but boy were they entertaining. This Wizard/Wiz/Wicked show had something for everybody, great melodies, cool characters, interesting props, outstanding soloists, great use of color , exciting arrangements played extremely well... it was all there!

It pulled me and everybody around me out of our seats. Great show Statesmen!

MBI- Well in other years this show might have won. An excellent package- outstanding brass and percussion, interesting theme and drill, plus extremely well performed. People rag on them for their pit soloists, but i FELT They were used very effectively ( and they were outstanding to boot). My favorite pieces were Scherazade, and Caravan very cool arrangements.

Bucs- outstanding production- no doubt in my mind who the champs were. They have the complete package. Tremendous percussion section - I think they'd give some DCI lines a run for their money... Loved the herald trumpets....Like others have said, they've raised the bar at DCA and that's a good thing... Congratulations BUCS!

RCC

Thanks for the kind words.

who were the Cabs sop soloists?,...............those guys were great!

The big guy doing the screaming was Mike Ferarra. Mike has played with Hawthorne for many years & played his age out year with Madison Scouts. Mike's a great guy but I just can't convince him to come over to the "Blue Team" LOL

The big guy doing the screaming was Mike Ferarra. Mike has played with Hawthorne for many years & played his age out year with Madison Scouts. Mike's a great guy but I just can't convince him to come over to the "Blue Team" LOL

Hmmm... could be because your pants aren't as flashy... lol

The soloists are:

Mike "Gordito" Ferrara: he marched Cabs 99 through 01. Went on to age out in Madison Scouts in 02 and returned to the Cabs in 03 and has been here ever since.

Drew Wilkie: Drew marched Cadets if I'm correct, 03, 04, and 07 and was a principle trumpet soloist. He has been a amember of the Cabs 05, 06, 07, 09 and '10. He is the son of Brian Wilkie also a soloist for the Cadets and brass staff for the Caballeros from 03 through 08.

Our baritone soloist is Raymond Sinclair. Ray marched with Cabs in 04 on tuba and came back this year on lead baritone. Ray had also marched Phantom Regiment and Boston Crusaders. Ray is also the new band director at Manchester High School in central Jersey.

Edited by JKatzmellophone

I made the trek up to DCA Finals this year purely as a spectator for the first time in my life. I took notes during the Prelims & Finals competitions on Saturday & Sunday and so I feel compelled to briefly share my thoughts. These are just my observations and opinions:

Excelsior - I apologize. I tried to do to many things Saturday morning and was late getting to the stadium. I did get to see a good portion of your show, however it was from a less-than-stellar point of view. I enjoyed the musical selections presented, although I think they are awfully ambitious for a smaller corps to attempt. Still, there was nothing short of 100% effort from all sections. Donel is always a show-stopper with her command of the podium.

Cincinnati Tradition - These guys made their first trip as a full corps to DCA this year and I was excited to be able to see them. They had a great feel for the Latin show they presented and "One More Time, Chuck Corea" really made me miss marching this season. They perform with a TON of passion. My only complaint would be that I'd like to see them move more. However, the fact that they didn't try to cover the entire field allowed them the stamina to really max out a tough musical book, and as a fan, I could appreciate that more.

High Country Brass - Another DCA first-timer. I was particularly excited to see this corps because I wrote my very first submission to Drum Corps World newspaper about them a few years ago and I've been following their progress ever since. The hornline is clearly the strongest section of the corps and created some nice musical moments. The small drumline had some rough moments but put on a gutsy performance. I'm not sure I really understood some of the role playing in the guard, but I probably missed something while I was trying to keep my eyes on the whole corps. Another viewing opportunity and it probably would have made more sense to me.

Shenandoah Sound - After having served as DM for Shenandoah Sound two years ago, I was really looking forward to seeing how they have grown and matured over the past two seasons. The shift to highly recognizable music is instantly a much better choice. Broadway could be a good fit for this corps, stylistically. The opener felt a little bit hesitant, but the corps let its hair down in "Nothing Like a Dame." The contra soloist nailed it and the crowd was digging that. This was also the first corps I saw that utilized multiple responsibilities (i.e. - body visuals while marching / playing). At least, they were the first that I really noticed. Hopefully the young members will stick with the corps and confidence levels will grow. If they do, they could become another Class A powerhouse in the South.

SoCal Dream - They were a little bit smaller than in previous years, but no less entertaining. They had a great sound coming from their hornline. Despite smaller numbers, the arrangements were chock full of lush layering that gave them a nice full sound. The drumline were no slouches, and they really attacked the drums. Some of the earlier lines that day seemed hesitant, but the guys with the gold-trimmed drums came to play. The guard performed admirably in the face of inhospitable winds. It's a shame that they couldn't get a few more bodies in the brass and percussion sections. This could have been a finalist show.

Vigilantes - It was great to see that their awesome drumline was back again. But an even better sight to see was the larger and much more talented brass and color guard ensembles they had to back that drumline this year. Everything they played was the kind of music you could dance and hum along with. The corps played within themselves and achieved a great balance and blend. I am truly surprised that this corps didn't score higher. It's a real shame that only four corps could make it to the Sunday night show, because on any other year, this one would have been in. I really hope they can continue their push upward and really make another showing like this in 2011.

White Sabers - I think they may have been seeded a bit high, but that's just my opinion. The Cirque shows are always demanding on the musicians, but they are also challenging for guards to perform to. Clearly there is a lot of talent on the field, but this show was another ambitious effort that didn't quite make the cut. Balance and stamina issues were the primary concerns from my point of view. I think that if the White Sabers can take a good look at program choices, they could find themselves back in the Class A title hunt very quickly because they are a talented group. They just need the right vehicle to take them to the Sunday night show.

Sun Devils - Were probably the biggest surprise for me at Prelims. I was dumbfounded at how this corps had improved since the last time I saw them. Having been on the field down South with Shenandoah Sound, I've had the privilege of watching these guys since their very first show two years ago. Believe me when I say that they have grown both in size and substance over the past two seasons! Their hornline had some really delicious moments including an ensemble melisma that was clean and gorgeous. I was sure this show would be on the field again Sunday night, but alas, it was not to be. Once again I say that any other year...

Govenaires - Govies are always a fan favorite and this year was certainly no exception. Their idea for a road trip was a brilliant way to string some very recognizable pop tunes together in a unique way. Every year I love to watch these guys because they are truly the masters of getting the most out of a small ensemble. They blend the right balance of field coverage and musical demand to get the best of both worlds without killing their performers. This year left me a bit conflicted. After watching several really fantastic performances before them, I had to wonder if the Govies were a lock to maintain their fourth seed and move into Finals. The judges gave them the marks they needed to make it, though I could have easily seen Vigilantes or Sun Devils stealing that spot away, simply because of the overall effectiveness of their programs. The race to make the cut for Class A Finals was tougher than ever this year, and I don't envy the judges who had to make these calls.

Grenadiers - The show is strong and demanding. I thought the drumline was a lock to take top honors in the percussion category, but Carolina Gold stole it away with a spotless performance. I could have seen Grennies finishing higher in the Class A Finals because I thought their show was the best overall package in Class A. But it was clear why the scores were so close on Saturday. Each of the top 3 seeded corps was trying to max out and get every last tenth. Grennies are starting to show that they have the design savvy to rival Govies in putting together superior Class A programs. While I enjoyed the show this year, I am partial to their Latin & jazz shows. They do it so well and there are only a handful of groups willing to play jazz. It's one of the reasons I'm a fan.

Carolina Gold - I saw their show in the early season and I was impressed with the depth of the show concept. I was anxious to see what they had added/changed and how it continued to develop over the months leading up to Finals. The show (now completed, obviously) was much smoother than what I had witnessed previously. Stamina issues were a thing of the past and the corps had a good grip on the crowd with a mix of familiar and engaging works. Gold could have put a run for the title if they had the show of their lives Sunday night. Unfortunately, it was not to be and I think the Sunday evening performance felt a bit flat compared to the previous night. Despite a valiant effort, an upset was not in the cards.

Fusion Core - They have clearly been hard at work tweaking and polishing this show. Many of the performance issues I witnessed early in the season were long gone and the corps was down to the real task of performing the hell out of their show. The hornline really had a great weekend. The drumline is still the weakest section of the corps, but after having added a few more bodies is much more readable than when I saw them early on. What I think gave Fusion the leg up on their competitors is the higher level of visual demand and the depth of their program. Whichever one of the masterminds in the Fusion camp came up with the show concept struck gold (literally) with this one. Congrats to Fusion on their first Class A title. It was well deserved and you bested the strongest field of Class A corps I've ever seen.

Renegades - 'Gades had a cool show concept that really suited them well. I could almost swear the DM salute was in Klingon. I know there was some bustling about their Finals score, but I could see why they dropped a bit in the overall standings. Sunday night's performance did seem a bit flat, possibly fatigued. The show I saw Saturday night was noticeably more electrifying. I still can't get over the soloist (not sure if it was a piccolo trumpet or pocket trumpet - hard to see from where I was sitting) up front. That cat was really wailing some notes. I know there was some "stuff" going on that caused all kinds of rumors to start. All I can say is that the Renegades came, saw and entertained as they always do. I'm hoping that everything is settled down next year and a larger contingent of our Californian brothers and sister can make the trip and really light things up.

CorpsVets - When I first read the show announcement, I was a little put off by the idea of rehashing another DCI show. However my reservation were put to rest when I saw video from one of the South shows. It was clear that the CorpsVets have taken some serious strides forward this year. Most noticeable was the increased velocity of their marching. There is significant demand in the feet this year and they pull it off. Musically, CV treated the source music well and quickly made an impression on the fans in Rochester. If these guys can continue this higher performance level they've transitioned to, it's only a matter of time before they're knocking on the coveted Top 5.

Kidsgrove Scouts - These lads were easily the biggest surprise of the Open Class this year. The gents from across the pond lit up the crowd and after Saturday's Prelims show were poised to pull of the greatest heist of the century - stealing a spot in the Top 5! The Scouts made up significant ground in just one week's time and were an immediate fan favorite. The big highlight that had the fans really buzzing was the sequence with the drumline mimicking the tumblers in a combination safe. The things that I loved most about their performance was their ability to play out without sounding crass or overblowing, and the fact that they (and CorpVets, too) and the two corps in white pants that could really march well. As a visual designer myself, that's like a dream come true. Congrats to Kidsgrove on becoming the International Champs. Thank you for coming and sharing your talents with us. I know I hope to see you again really soon.

Kilties - The Kilties keep improving every year, but just seem to be a bit behind the curve when it comes to show design. If they really want to make a Top 10 spot, they need more demand (especially in the visual department) to get them there. That having been said, their program was accessible and well received by the crowd. And as far I'm concerned, as a fan, that's a winner right there. The mix of old school and new school is the right idea, in my opinion. If they can put a show concept together that could maximize that concept, it could be huge for them.

Alliance - I was kind of let down this year, but it wasn't a lack of performance ability - that's for sure. The corps is big and performed very well. The show concept of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is dark and aggressive. I understand the concept and the theme is well represented through the design, however I didn't find this program as engaging as the "Dynamo" production. Still, one can't question the ability of this relative newcomer to Open Class. Alliance proved that last year was no fluke and solidified a spot in the middle of the pack. Drumline also came dangerously close to the big boys at the top. One has to wonder just how long it will be till Alliance and CV duke it out to be the first South corps in the Top 5.

Bushwackers - The opening sequence is a good start to this show. Even the tribal dancing immediately after is as excellent theatrical opening. But the opener for the brass just seems so upbeat and cheerful that I'm not sure it fits the dark foreboding nature of that opening sequence. I heard some tasty licks in the hornline on Finals night. I'm not sure if those were added mid-way through the season or if they were just executing them better now than when I had seen them earlier in the season. All sections of the corps perform quite well. To that point, the corps' Finals performance had noticeably more energy than their Prelims show. I think they wanted to show they have something to prove and they did that. My best guess in regards to their lower scores this year is probably based on smaller numbers. This year's corps is very good, but the entire DCA scene has improved dramatically over the past few years. One thing I didn't understand was the white tarp at the end. I watched that sequence both nights and still didn't get it. I think one other thing that may be hurting is the depth of the program. The past few shows have had one simple unifying concept. The shows could be summarized by one or two word title. Perhaps a show with more thematic depth would give the corps more room to develop over the course of the season? I don't know - I don't know what feedback they've been getting from the judges, but that's my thoughts as a fan.

Caballeros - I loved this show the first time I saw it and I still do. It is quite simply, the quintessential Caballeros show. Fiery Latin, a gorgeous, well staged ballad, and an exciting closer. The ensemble soli section was happening Sunday night. In fact, all the soloists laid down a pretty tasty icing on the cake and with how fired up the corps was Sunday night, I'm truly surprised the corps didn't jump a spot from Saturday to Sunday.

Minnesota Brass, Inc. - This was a great show. The way they blended together very different pieces of source music to create this program was innovative and done tastefully. That drumline was just incredible. I'm surprised they didn't win that caption outright, because that section was really the cat's meow on Sunday night. With the gaps so close after Prelims, and the corps putting on one fiery performance Sunday night, I thought they may have a shot at an upset. Unfortunately, it didn't happen for them this year. But I think they have found the right style of programming to keep them right up there with the Bucs. Sooner or later they'll find the chink in the armor and get their hands on that top spot.

Hurricanes - Hurcs surprised me on Saturday, though not in a good way. I feel like their show hasn't really developed in the same way as some of their competitors. To me, it seems as though the show concept is good, but that it may have peaked already. Honestly, with Cabs being on fire and the Kidsgrove guys right behind them, I'm surprised one of those two didn't steal a spot from them. It would have been really close for me if I had to pick the winner between those three.

Empire Statesmen - Empire was hyped all over the internet to be the most entertaining corps of the season. Happily I can report that the hype was not exaggerated. The Statesmen brought a level of showmanship that few other corps can rival. The drumline was wicked clean and I would have had them closed to the percussion trophy personally. If anyone was going to upset the Bucs quest for 6, they were going to need to put on one helluva show. Statesmen pulled out all the stops Sunday night (including a balloon) but it still wasn't enough to get the gold. The crowd really appreciated their efforts though and gave them some of the loudest ovations of the night.

Buccaneers - The Bucs continued their roll of dominance and recorded their sixth straight undefeated season in MMX. The depth of programming and design coupled with a very demanding physical program once again proved too much for the other 22 corps in Rochester this year. The drumline earned a share of the top honors in that caption and the color guard (one of the best in this corps history, IMO) took home that trophy as well. However I believe it was the High Visual and Overall Effect captions that really sealed the deal. Congrats to my hometown champion Buccaneers on your unprecedented accomplishments. I'm probably your toughest critic, mostly because I've been associated with the Buccaneer family for the better part of 20 years now. But I am proud of everything you have accomplished and I was honored to be able to join with you in singing the corps song yet again this season. Best wishes for continued success.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinions and thoughts. After this I will no longer be posting reviews. It is hard to have a skin tough enough for this. Everyone wants to hear the good stuff, but anything critical is taken personally. I feel like in my attempts to toe that line this year, I have managed to do little more than #### a lot of people off. It's one thing to have a nameless, faceless screen name disagree with your critique, but it's something different entirely when people you know feel it necessary to make an ### out of you in public in front of family and friends simply because they don't agree with your opinions. I still firmly believe that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and shouldn't have to defend it against anyone. However, I feel that the "everyone was great" reviews are the only way to avoid controversy and it's just not in me to do that. Therefore, I'll be keeping my opinions to myself as best as I can from now on.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinions and thoughts. After this I will no longer be posting reviews. It is hard to have a skin tough enough for this. Everyone wants to hear the good stuff, but anything critical is taken personally. I feel like in my attempts to toe that line this year, I have managed to do little more than #### a lot of people off. It's one thing to have a nameless, faceless screen name disagree with your critique, but it's something different entirely when people you know feel it necessary to make an ### out of you in public in front of family and friends simply because they don't agree with your opinions. I still firmly believe that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and shouldn't have to defend it against anyone. However, I feel that the "everyone was great" reviews are the only way to avoid controversy and it's just not in me to do that. Therefore, I'll be keeping my opinions to myself as best as I can from now on.

Hey dude...keep on reviewin'! I happen to like your reviews. Remember, it ain't the end of the world...it's just one person's opinion on a band show, and your opinion is every bit as worthless as mine. As for the "everyone was great" reviews...hey, there's got to be a reason why the entire circuit has had their clocks cleaned for the last 6 years. God forbid anyone should point this out. So keep on reviewing and stop taking this stuff so seriously. All the best...

Edited by VOReason

Hmmm... could be because your pants aren't as flashy... lol

The soloists are:

Mike "Gordito" Ferrara: he marched Cabs 99 through 01. Went on to age out in Madison Scouts in 02 and returned to the Cabs in 03 and has been here ever since.

Drew Wilkie: Drew marched Cadets if I'm correct, 03, 04, and 07 and was a principle trumpet soloist. He has been a amember of the Cabs 05, 06, 07, 09 and '10. He is the son of Brian Wilkie also a soloist for the Cadets and brass staff for the Caballeros from 03 through 08.

Our baritone soloist is Raymond Sinclair. Ray marched with Cabs in 04 on tuba and came back this year on lead baritone. Ray had also marched Phantom Regiment and Boston Crusaders. Ray is also the new band director at Manchester High School in central Jersey.

Lest we forget Rob "Newbie" Lais, who had the backfield sop solo. Member of the Cabs since 2008 and also plays trumpet for Medieval Times.