• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- edit: removed and posted on other thread -

Edited by PepsiTwist

Interesting thread.

Hm... the first three that jump out:

1995 Cavaliers

For me: loved the intro (2 min) and the closer (2 min), but most of the show was snooze-o-rama. Even more surprisingly, even though they played the first four movements in order, the show really didn't seem to "flow" that well to me.

2002 Cadets

Yeah, yeah, "Bugle Boy" was great. But the rest of the show just offended me. It seemed like George pulled out every sappy patriotic cliche in the books. The show was as subtle as an anvil dropped on your foot. If you want to provoke an emotional response from me, try not being so blatantly manipulative about it, okay?

2005 Phantom Regiment

Phantom is my favorite corps. But I think I must be the only person in America that felt Gershwin didn't work at all for them. I just found the show very flat, not new and inspiring.

Those are my opinions. And you know what they say about opinions. YMMV.

The other thread asks for what shows you found boring, which isn't exactly the same. 05 Cadets is a perfect example. Not boring in the least, but the various voice features ruin those parts of the show for me. Had they done the same show with only the intro narration, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. But overall, it is not entertaining to me.

I also agree with hostrauser on 05 Regiment, the arrangements of those two incredible pieces just destroyed their musical interest to me. Although I did like the guard and the Fred Astaire guy.

Cadets 2000 is probably the most controversial. The drill was spectacular, but it was clearly the lead-in to a decade of less-subtle-than-ever Cadets Cheese (save 04 and 09). Plus, having the marchers standing around out of "character" watching each section show off--which is not unique to 2000, but was definitely played up that year--isn't something I particularly enjoy.

Blue Devils 2004. Yes, you guys are awesome, but a show theme built around how awesome you are is not quite as much fun as deciding that for myself.

Blue Devils 2004. Yes, you guys are awesome, but a show theme built around how awesome you are is not quite as much fun as deciding that for myself.

HAHA! Love it. Cavies and BD are at least a little guilty of this, methinks. But I don't really begrudge them.

05 cadets

06 cadets

08,09,10 crown

05 cadets

06 cadets

08,09,10 crown

A lot of others found Cadets 06 entertaining? :)

A lot of others found Cadets 06 entertaining? :)

I loved 06 Cadets. I thought the show concept and design was better in 06 than 05, actually (but the execution wasn't anywhere CLOSE to 05).