Southern percussion placement (shocking)

CCBD05

Ok, After DCA championships is overwith, I have seen a trend with the overall placement of southern corps in this activity, especially with percussion when it comes to overall placement. The fact that the Corpsvets with 10th and ALLIANCE was only 6th was shocking to me, seeing these two groups a good bit over the season. Also, after attending championships and seeing the competition I am baffled on how these placements were decided. First off, the Corpsvets percussion were not the worst ones at finals. That battery was stronger than the bottom third in my opinion, and although having a weak front ensemble, still put out a impressive product, and a product not seen by this group yet. I would have personally put them in an 8th spot. Now to Alliance. I really don’t understand how that group could get placed in that low a spot considering the product put on the field an the high level of consistency and excellence. I saw no weak spots in the ensemble what so ever, and except for MBI, who was amazing btw, did not feel like any other ensemble measured to their level and ability. Its time to realize that the southern corps might be putting out a product that is competitive with the big dogs of DCA and really and i would love to see them in the future years in the top 5. There is my two cents and I am open for criticism.

Edited by CCBD05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alliance got 4th in drums last year, beating Empire and Cabs so I am not sure there is much validity in your statement that "it is not fair to keep chopping out their legs when both groups did extremely well this past weekend."

However, we (Cabs) did warm up next to CV Sunday night and their battery was throwin down, we were groovin.

I also saw Alliance Thursday night and they were throwin down a bit as well, but to me did not sound as crisp as 09.

Now I know I’m not a judge and all but it just doesn’t seem to measure up, on how the group could be 2nd on the field and 4th overall in prelims, and from the sound of it, had a better run on finals and went down in both captions.

It happens more often than you think. In 2002, my line went from 6th field, 5th ensemble, 5th overall in prelims to 7th field, 11th ensemble, 9th overall in one night! But we all know why that happened TWICE that summer with a certain percussion panel in place.

I dont know if they werent as crisp, concidering there were 10 snares and they were amazing. But i think that as a whole, the line and the front were better than last year, and yes they were 4th last year but I thought they should of been at least 3rd this year

Alliance was 2nd in field percussion on Saturday, then 4th on Sunday. Ensemble issues caused the overall to be in 6th, and I have to agree with it (as did several folks around me that were much more educated percussionists). They got a fair score, as did everyone else.....

I thought they should of been at least 3rd this year

Nah I think the 3rd place line was alright haha

yea i would think you would say that, Haha, yall can drum for sure

"Nah I think the 3rd place line was alright haha"

Disagreement is one thing. Implying a bias or a lack of integrity on the part of the judges is another. Cut it out.

Make an argument that supports your position. Then discuss. To bandy about "Southern" corps getting the shaft because they are from the south sucks.

Is it just possible that Alliance didnt quite play all the notes on Sunday night and got a field score based on THAT performance, rather than on reputation or a simple regurgitation of their prelim number? Yup. Is it possible that Empire's ensemble numbers were based on THAT run rather than the prelim performance that had some real tense moments? Yup. And I'd say Stauff got it right.

Do I have a beef with a couple other numbers from where I sat? Maybe I do. But that is PART OF THE GAME. The guy on the field (or in the box) at DCA finals is not new.

To smear his reputation by claiming a bias hits below the belt.

And to spend too much time poring over the recap isnt really in the spirit of the competition.

Were the right corps in the right order when it all fleshed out? It looks ok to me.

I am in no way trying to discredit the integrity of the judging panel that was there for that night, nor am I saying that I could do what I do. All i am voicing is an opinion from what i saw that weekend. Thank you for your comment

Ok, After DCA championships is overwith, I have seen a trend with the overall placement of southern corps in this activity, especially with percussion when it comes to overall placement. The fact that the Corpsvets with 10th and ALLIANCE was only 6th was shocking to me, seeing these two groups a good bit over the season. Also, after attending championships and seeing the competition I am baffled on how these placements were decided. First off, the Corpsvets percussion were not the worst ones at finals. That battery was stronger than the bottom third in my opinion, and although having a weak front ensemble, still put out a impressive product, and a product not seen by this group yet. I would have personally put them in an 8th spot. Now to Alliance. I really don’t understand how that group could get placed in that low a spot considering the product put on the field an the high level of consistency and excellence. I saw no weak spots in the ensemble what so ever, and except for MBI, who was amazing btw, did not feel like any other ensemble measured to their level and ability. Its time to realize that the southern corps might be putting out a product that is competitive with the big dogs of DCA and really and i would love to see them in the future years in the top 5. There is my two cents and I am open for criticism.

Hmm. Any chance your perspective might be a bit skewed as a member of Alliance's drum line?