Drum Majors

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2697958494_4189d9f212.jpg

is there a better example of the lifetime drum major?

Wasn't it one of those situations where Jim was supposed to go to Sky and Butch was supposed to go to Hawthorne but it wound up the other way around?

the outfits make him! a different one every year (and I hear he still has them all)

Perhaps he should consider selling them. They would probably fetch a nifty price on the Elvis Impersonator Black Market.

If you have a great person who is also filling staff positions and the clear heart and soul of the organization ............. why change what works and generates the results you want?

DCA has been blessed to have mnay great, long tenured Drum Majors out there. Wink, Butch, Alan Smythe, Phil gentile, Jimmy, Chris Killian, Josh Decker, George, John Mayer and of course David, who is probably the record setter.

why? because he has been the only DM the corps has ever had on the box. ever.

and yes, they all do fabulous things away from the public eye. I know from my one year with Empire, David definitely got less sleep than anyone else because of all he did/does.

27 years and counting, and really, the last of the true showmen along with John Mayer.

Someone posted a picture of Jimmy Russo. Just from that picture you can tell he's a great DM.

Thought I would post this. Not sure if David would want me to, but it is a good thing.

2q8amtv.jpg

Wasn't it one of those situations where Jim was supposed to go to Sky and Butch was supposed to go to Hawthorne but it wound up the other way around?

Not as I recall ... Jimmy was headed to Hawthorne with the St. Lucy's contingent that went there in 70 and 71 ... I don't ever remember his name being mentioned in Sky ... huge number of players went from Lucy's to Cabs ... according to Genero, Butch was actually feeling out Shelton in 69 when all the Marksmen came to "The Valley" ... but, he stayed loyal to Dom DelRa and wound up in Syracuse ... he then came to Sky in 70 with Timmy Boardman, Billy Sidden, George Ross et al ... even played sop in 70 and then returned in 72 as asst DM to Winky ...

Andy " yeah ... the memory fades as time goes on" Lisko

Not as I recall ... Jimmy was headed to Hawthorne with the St. Lucy's contingent that went there in 70 and 71 ... I don't ever remember his name being mentioned in Sky ... huge number of players went from Lucy's to Cabs ... according to Genero, Butch was actually feeling out Shelton in 69 when all the Marksmen came to "The Valley" ... but, he stayed loyal to Dom DelRa and wound up in Syracuse ... he then came to Sky in 70 with Timmy Boardman, Billy Sidden, George Ross et al ... even played sop in 70 and then returned in 72 as asst DM to Winky ...

Andy " yeah ... the memory fades as time goes on" Lisko

I can confirm that Butch - as a student of Dom Del Ra's - honed his major skills in the '71 Brigadiers... It was a pleasure to be lead by him... that was one of those great years when you didn't care if you beat anybody, but knew you were successful just for making it back on the field and into finals...

The story I always heard from being with Sky was that the corps actually had Butch go to Syracuse to be sure he could "cut it" as a drum major before putting him in front of the corps. But as old stories go, I'm sure there are several variations.

The story I always heard from being with Sky was that the corps actually had Butch go to Syracuse to be sure he could "cut it" as a drum major before putting him in front of the corps. But as old stories go, I'm sure there are several variations.

I think someone is getting carried away with themselves a bit in relating war stories (I've NEVER done that lol)

Butch was a critical part of the large Albany crew that came with Dominic... he was very much the real deal when he arrived... I don't think he needed to "cut it" as drum major or prove anything... He immediately assumed control of the corps... When that crew moved from Syracuse to New York Skyliners, it really MADE that corps for '72 and the fact that they brought along some "old line brigs" too - Anguilli, Chisek, Junior Lorini, Chuckie Taglamonte and others - and then threw in Fred "Gebby" Gebhardt as the missing link sky needed to bring up their marching scores... wow... what a corps it produced in '72.

24 of the "rest of us" went to '72 Crusaders and were rejoined with our hero Corky Fabrizio (of course in my case it was going back to them) and that was enough to make that into one of the great corps of all times. So all of us in Rabbitland and Sky City owe a huge debt to the '71 Brigadiers - it was a very high price to pay for our combined greatness (killing the Brigs) but it was a testiment to the talent hiding in Syracuse in '71.