DCI vs. DCA

DCI vs. DCA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI World Championships and DCA Championships were held at the same time in two dissimilar locations, which would you attend given the performances being showcased?

• DCI
    • DCA

The Great Music is an opinion, so I have nothing against that.

But to imply that the difficulty of the brass books would be unattainable by DCI is the point I'm taking issue with. Perhaps by "Meaty" you don't mean "difficult", in which case I simply read it wrong, and that's my bad.

I'd contend that DCI is more likely to put out the watering can on finals week.

Watering down music is not even close to the same as being incapable of playing something.

Yea, but I believe the statement was that you are more likely to see the meatier version at DCA finals than at DCI. Sure, DCI corps play the meaty books, but they water them down. So yea, DCI can play them, probably better, but that wasn't the argument.

Yeah! I didn't have to post a response :P

But I will anyway.

Those above are correct.

Can DCI corps play meaty books? YES

Do they choose to do so? NO

Why? Visual Demands

DCA does play more meat in most cases .. it's still a fair and accurate statement in my opinion.

Which DCA corps this year played a brass book as difficult or as BD, Bluecoats, SCV, Crown or Phantom?

Yea, but I believe the statement was that you are more likely to see the meatier version at DCA finals than at DCI. Sure, DCI corps play the meaty books, but they water them down. So yea, DCI can play them, probably better, but that wasn't the argument.
that DCI can't touch

That's all Geluf and I were responding to. No arguments from me here that most DCA corps have "meatier" books.

I have only two reasons to go to a drum corps show: 1) Meet old friends, 2) Be entertained. For the past 4 years every DCI show I have attended has been at best boring. The shows are magnificiently executed but the overall entertainment factor is only slightly better than mowing my lawn. The sole exception this year was the Madison Scouts (gee whaddya know they were playing a throw-back show!)