Shows that just wouldnt be the same...

BennyASU

94 Blue Devils (could have been cleaner though)

95 Cavaliers (won guard on finals night but didnt take home the trophy, we were robbed, ok yes i'm bitter)

Blue Devils colorguard was absolutley outstanding, as usual......They potrayed the emotional highs and lows of their show perfect. It is for that reason that they deserved the guard award for the week.

(and most consistent too)

~G~

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to take just a bit of a different tack on this one, since we are in a year that could produce the activity's first four-in-a-row champion.

I'm thinking about a similar year, 1986, when the Cadets were vying for a fourth consecutive championship. Resisting the temptation to simply follow the winning formula, the corps staged an arguably ground-breaking show with -- early in the season -- NO color guard.

It will always be my opinion that if the staff had stuck to its (at the time) revolutionary (no) guns: the show, while not winning the title, would have distinguished itself in history.

Instead, the organization bowed to the current thinking and had a small guard (12 members, if memory serves) pop out of virtually nowhere for the final number.

In this case, in my opinion, no color guard would have served this show and corps best!

Speaking as a horn player, here are some of the shows that come to mind when I think the guard contributed the most to the overall product:

Carolina Crown '03

Cadets '89, '91, '94, '95 (... and as for '92 & '93, I'm not a fan of Holsinger, and without the excellent and expressive guards they fielded those two years, I would have found those shows unbearable!)

Blue Devils '94, '99 - present

SCV '91

Phantom Regiment '91 (Yowza!)

Crossmen '96 (their "rebirth," as it were)

Cavaliers '95

BD '95: the guard sold that show. They were freaking terrifying.

SCV '00: Not the best on the field, but Adagio would not have been the same without the flying guard equipment and that final crack as the soloist flings his rifle. That's my favorite show of all-time for a reason, and the guard made it.

Crown '00: Zorro! Some insanely hard work, plus they gave it to the audience throughout. And those uniforms are the epitome of sensuality.

Scouts '97: The pirates came to life and help this become one of the most memorable shows ever. The flags and rifles were great, the characterization was fabulous, and the closer 'battle' was unforgettable!

SCV '00: ... That's my favorite show of all-time for a reason, and the guard made it.

amen. i LOVE all aspects of this show...and although i cant be exactly certain, i think the guard was the #1 selling point in this show to me. they were extremely emotional, and their work was fantastic (loved the intriguing dance!).