Changes at SCV

Ok. Let me set the record straight. I don't think the green method is bad. It has many great practical applications (like teaching people how to make good sounds on their horn and how to play in tune). I use parts of the green method before and do from time to time still, but I do have some problems with it:

1) People tend to stick to the method more than the music. I feel like "Greenies" are so fascinated with getting every note in it's perfect little box instead of playing musically or trying to draw emotions out of the music. This is why I believe that many of those cavaliers hornlines sounded boring to a lot of folks. They were perfectly in tune, perfectly balanced and matched in every way, and often times perfectly aloof.

2) It doesn't allow people to play loud. If everyone is afraid to stick-out then you never give people a chance to find where their boundaries are.

3) My biggest issue is the loyal devotion to that method to the point where people think that is the ONLY way of doing things. I would watch them turn their noses up at groups like Crown or roll their eyes at Phantom or Cadets when they played loud. They literally believe that the green method is the only way of doing things. It's that arrogance that bothers me the most.

ANYWAYS.... many of the green techniques are fantastic, but I still believe that it's time in drum corps (not concert band or texas UIL marching band, but drum corps) has passed. If SCV comes out and proves me wrong and sounds great AND is musical AND affects people emotionally by playing with passion, then great! I sincerely hope that they do.

Haha well I guess this makes you a real expert then doesn't it?!?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Keep dreaming

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha well I guess this makes you a real expert then doesn't it?!?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Keep dreaming

Well, I do know a few things about teaching and drum corps since I have done both for the better part of my life. How about you? So far all you have done on here is say my opinion is wrong without backing it up. So, go ahead and back it up big boy.

Wow...it's a little testosterony in here...

Testosterone belongs in drum corps.... that's kind of my point to begin with

<Can you tell us on which syllable the accent belongs? Maybe there are two...>

Hmmm...I have no friggin' idea...

Give it your best shot, and I'm sure it will come out right...

And for the ex-president...I like testosterone in drum corps, too...but this isn't drum corps!

No matter where ya go, threads with internet **** measuring contests always deliver. (wait, there's a joke in there somewhere)

Anyways, I always thought testoserone was an Italian dish.

I think some of you are missing the point of what I was saying in the beginning. It is not a measuring contest. I am trying to get someone to back up a statement.

Yeah...that's the testosterone thing...getting someone to 'man up', as many of you would say, and treat this board like they might a face to face meeting.

But that's not what happens on the computer. Read the comments after any controversial news story and you'll see what I mean - on-line posters wallowing in their anonymity (yes...I see the irony, as I post here anonymously...) and venting their spleen...and every other organ in need of venting...all over whatever page to which they post.

I think we all would do well to let those folks who have SOOOOO much invested in being contentious just sit there in their underoos, wishing someone would fight with them.

They want the fight...and only we can thwart them!

Edited by FHdork