DCA's

Prior to attending my first Drum Corps Associates World Championships, all I ever heard was, "Are you going to DCA's?" Why DCA's? I mean, doesn't DCA's = Drum Corps Associates's <--- apostrophe s. I don't think I would refer to it as DCI's which would = Drum Corps International's. I found it strange...but maybe I'm all alone. Can anyone shed a little light on this? :angel1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

probably, they put the "s" on there to signify it is more than one event taking place.

Now, you can use an apostrophe in some instances to show plurals. Some people like to debate about this, but the fact is that it is fairly commonly used. It violates the traditional rules, but is not uncommon.

Perhaps it is worth noting that all acronyms do not follow the same rules either.

MPG = miles per gallon

MRE[']s = meals ready to eat

in this example, the first word in both acronyms contains an 's' because they are plural, while only one of them has an 's' on the end of the acronym. Also, if you look around, you will find both MREs and MRE's commonly used.

You don't write, "I got four As on my report card." You write, "I got four A's on my report card." Probably the apostrophes on acronyms comes from this line of thinking.

fwiw, I also only put punctuation inside a close quotes if the punctuation actually belongs to the quote, though I know this is not the American way to do things.

Edited by soccerguy315

probably, they put the "s" on there to signify it is more than one event taking place.

Now, you can use an apostrophe in some instances to show plurals. Some people like to debate about this, but the fact is that it is fairly commonly used. It violates the traditional rules, but is not uncommon.

Perhaps it is worth noting that all acronyms do not follow the same rules either.

MPG = miles per gallon

MRE[']s = meals ready to eat

in this example, the first word in both acronyms contains an 's' because they are plural, while only one of them has an 's' on the end of the acronym. Also, if you look around, you will find both MREs and MRE's commonly used.

You don't write, "I got four As on my report card." You write, "I got four A's on my report card." Probably the apostrophes on acronyms comes from this line of thinking.

fwiw, I also only put punctuation inside a close quotes if the punctuation actually belongs to the quote, though I know this is not the American way to do things.

MRE's = possessive

MREs = plural

That is your grammar lesson for today.

MRE's = possessive

MREs = plural

You are correct, sir!

And Bluecoats is still just one word.

MRE's = possessive

MREs = plural

not always used that way though.

A's is not possessive.

I suppose you could just label it as poor usage, but I attribute it to changing style. I am aware a lot of people don't know how to use apostrophes though.

Edited by soccerguy315