DCA's

This thread = HEADACHE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread = HEADACHE

posted by DCA's Director of Marketing and Public Relations.

Edited by HornsUp

probably, they put the "s" on there to signify it is more than one event taking place.

Now, you can use an apostrophe in some instances to show plurals. Some people like to debate about this, but the fact is that it is fairly commonly used. It violates the traditional rules, but is not uncommon.

It is incorrect. The fact that many people use apostrophes incorrectly does not make such use correct.

Perhaps it is worth noting that all acronyms do not follow the same rules either.

MPG = miles per gallon

MRE[']s = meals ready to eat

in this example, the first word in both acronyms contains an 's' because they are plural, while only one of them has an 's' on the end of the acronym. Also, if you look around, you will find both MREs and MRE's commonly used.

The second acronym in your example actually means "Meal, Ready to Eat" and the acronym is singular. When changing the acronym to plural, then adding the "s" to the end is correct. "Meal" would be changed to "meals" only when writing out the originating phrase.

You don't write, "I got four As on my report card." You write, "I got four A's on my report card." Probably the apostrophes on acronyms comes from this line of thinking.

It would be correct to write of the multiple "A"s on the report card, as each A is unlikely to possess much of anything. Note how the letter grade is specified by the use of quotes and the plural "s" simply added to indicate multiple such grades.

And since this has nothing to do with anything, thread closed.