What if DCI had different leagues...

...one for music majors, and one for non-music majors? It would be hard to define the split, but basically, certain corps would be open to only music majors and certain corps only to everyone else. I feel the audience of each league would be split in a similar fashion. The corps would compete within their individual league, on different sheets. Maybe for a "post-finals" type thing the top 6 corps from each league would all compete against each other on the same sheets. It would be interesting to see how the leagues differed in show design, turnout, etc.

I feel like that would solve a lot of problems.

• Like 1

exactly... I'm a business major, for example.

Definitely not a music major - marched anyway. Marched with a lot of non-music majors. Silly topic, IMO. It would be good for one to really get in the trenches and see how many people in each corps are actually music majors. Seems like something one would need to really get close to the corps to find out. Maybe even learning about each individual as you go through the season with them. On tour. In a drum corps.

...one for music majors, and one for non-music majors? It would be hard to define the split, but basically, certain corps would be open to only music majors and certain corps only to everyone else. I feel the audience of each league would be split in a similar fashion. The corps would compete within their individual league, on different sheets. Maybe for a "post-finals" type thing the top 6 corps from each league would all compete against each other on the same sheets. It would be interesting to see how the leagues differed in show design, turnout, etc.

I feel like that would solve a lot of problems.

this is classic overreaching. Sorry, can't go with you on this one.

Definitely not a music major - marched anyway. Marched with a lot of non-music majors. Silly topic, IMO. It would be good for one to really get in the trenches and see how many people in each corps are actually music majors. Seems like something one would need to really get close to the corps to find out. Maybe even learning about each individual as you go through the season with them. On tour. In a drum corps.

I think a simple survey would suffice, don't you think?

• Like 1

I think a simple survey would suffice, don't you think?

I don't think it's necessary; the premise is totally bogus. That and DCI did a survey in '08.

From http://www.dci.org/about/

"59.6 percent of the current college students are pursuing music education degrees, while 65 percent of those that indicated they are high school students intend to major in music education."

Along with other shortcomings of this idea, I suspect you'd have a hard time filling a guard with music majors.

While we're at it, let's re-segregate the water fountains.

:spitting:

Is this Jeopardy? What are...things Hrothgar hasn't experienced!

But seriously. This idea is just silly. And misplaced; the designs are staff-driven, not marcher driven.

Edited by DrillmanSop06