1981 Finals Video

I know that the 1981 Finals was not allowed to be broadcast due to some restriction. However, it seems odd to me that the audio for the original records, Legacy CD’s and now Fan Network was recorded from Finals. Why could DCI not have negotiated to film but not broadcast? I feel terrible for those who marched to have only a low-grade DVD from a regional show to showcase for an eternal memory. Was the event filmed and then shelved?

DCI has also done a terrible job of making older video formats available. Unless your corps finished in the Top 12, most likely you will never see your show on a professional DVD. To me, this is a crime, I would love to watch a top 17 from say 1988, or see a clean 89 BD show. I have heard that the Video Company that filmed them in the 1980s owns the rights, yet, they are now out of business.

Could a third party company come in and negotiate with DCI should DCI not want to invest in this project?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the 1981 Finals was not allowed to be broadcast due to some restriction. However, it seems odd to me that the audio for the original records, Legacy CD’s and now Fan Network was recorded from Finals. Why could DCI not have negotiated to film but not broadcast? I feel terrible for those who marched to have only a low-grade DVD from a regional show to showcase for an eternal memory. Was the event filmed and then shelved?

DCI has also done a terrible job of making older video formats available. Unless your corps finished in the Top 12, most likely you will never see your show on a professional DVD. To me, this is a crime, I would love to watch a top 17 from say 1988, or see a clean 89 BD show. I have heard that the Video Company that filmed them in the 1980s owns the rights, yet, they are now out of business.

Could a third party company come in and negotiate with DCI should DCI not want to invest in this project?

The hope is to make more shows available on audio as licensing can be secured, but that's an expensive proposition, so the effort was put in first to make Finals available and then the PBS films. (PBS mostly filmed Finals with a few Prelims performances to get things down prior to the big show.)

It wasn't a problem of DCI not being able to film in Canada. It was a problem of PBS not being able to do so. If I'm remembering right, that was more an issue of PBS not being able to film live broadcasts out of the country more than it was a problem with Canadian interests saying no. That was taken care of in 1982 after months of negotiations.

Pol Pot's atrocities were crimes against humanity. Bonny and Clyde's acts were crimes. Osama Bin Laden committed grave crimes. I guess we have a different definition of what constitutes a crime.

Some individual corps have videos of their 1981 finals performance. I know there was at least one corps that video taped their performance (and maybe a few others). If there's one corps in particular you're looking for from 1981, check with the corps' office or a vet from 1981. They might be able to hook you up.

Edited by Scout

I picked up the 1974 Legacy DVD because it had my corps listed (Americanos), but turned out to be only several seconds of concert. Bummer.

Fortunately, it does have great footage of SCV, Madison, Kingsmen and Troopers :laughing:

Unless your corps finished in the Top 12, most likely you will never see your show on a professional DVD.

We came in 29th... highly unlikely there still exists any video of us. Double-Bummer.

I don't think that DCI is unwilling to invest. It is the level of investment that would be required.

How much are you willing to pay to take the raw footage of the non-finalists from about 30 years worth of shows and do whatever is needed to create the DVD's you desire?

I would imagine that would include paying for some extensive editing, sound mixing, DVD authoring, artwork and packaging design, replication of the product, hiring Michael Boo to write a whole lot of liner notes, etc.

And... don't forget about paying someone to track down all those permissions and copyrights. And then, pay for all those licenses to the various rights holders.

In short, this will be one expensive project you're volunteering to take on. The cost of such an undertaking would be well into 6 figures and create a series of products with a very limited interest base that may never return enough revenue to cover the investment.

DCI awaits your bid - or your donation.

I would imagine that would include paying for some extensive editing, sound mixing, DVD authoring, artwork and packaging design, replication of the product, hiring Michael Boo to write a whole lot of liner notes, etc.

And... don't forget about paying someone to track down all those permissions and copyrights. And then, pay for all those licenses to the various rights holders.

I've got to admit I hadn't thought about the horror of not seeing the sun for about three straight weeks.

Some individual corps have videos of their 1981 finals performance. I know there was at least one corps that video taped their performance (and maybe a few others). If there's one corps in particular you're looking for from 1981, check with the corps' office or a vet from 1981. They might be able to hook you up.

1981 was my age out year and I've always been perplexed by the same questions regarding the issue of the non "broadcast"....and I've never received a good answer. The only "visual" recording of 1981 I've ever seen is from the DCI Midwest Championship in Whitewater, WI. All the better since we were on top of the world at that point of the summer....then the big choke to settled in. We absolutely hated the Montreal venue. Sound was horrible in that concrete monstrosity, you couldn't hear yourself or anyone else around you due to the atrocious re-verb. And it felt like it was impossible to connect with the crowd since the curvature of the stadium in relation to the field meant that the 50 yard line portion of the stadium was the farthest point away from the entire front side line. It seemed as if those in the stands were sitting a mile away and the disconnect made for an awful experience....the worst performance venue I've ever encountered in all my years of drum corps. It's probably best that the 1981 Montreal venue was never broadcast....No regrets here.

1981 was my age out year and I've always been perplexed by the same questions regarding the issue of the non "broadcast"....and I've never received a good answer. The only "visual" recording of 1981 I've ever seen is from the DCI Midwest Championship in Whitewater, WI. All the better since we were on top of the world at that point of the summer....then the big choke to settled in. We absolutely hated the Montreal venue. Sound was horrible in that concrete monstrosity, you couldn't hear yourself or anyone else around you due to the atrocious re-verb. And it felt like it was impossible to connect with the crowd since the curvature of the stadium in relation to the field meant that the 50 yard line portion of the stadium was the farthest point away from the entire front side line. It seemed as if those in the stands were sitting a mile away and the disconnect made for an awful experience....the worst performance venue I've ever encountered in all my years of drum corps. It's probably best that the 1981 Montreal venue was never broadcast....No regrets here.

Video of Drum Beauty 1981 exists.

Edited by tommytimp