I've got a DVD of 81 prelims, hi cam...

SCV, Cavies, BD, Troopers, 27, Xmen, Bayonne, Guardsmen, Garfield, and Spirit

it was taped off the tv, live

I have the same one.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a prelims DVD that was supposedly taken by the 27 staff from the stands at 81 DCI Prelims... Man do I ever want to see that finals performance tho!

I believe I have this, as well. I didn't know it came from a telecast, though. I assumed it was footage that was shot but never aired.

No it wasn't. There was no broadcast of '81 prelims. These recordings were only made available on videotape.

No it wasn't. There was no broadcast of '81 prelims. These recordings were only made available on videotape.

Thanks for the correction!

I do know that DCI Canada finals were broadcast in Ontario in 1981. . . I remember sitting in Jim Mason's living room in the fall of '81 and watching it on Betamax tape! :-) Long gone tape now. . .

Has anyone ever been able to track any other video of that? So many corps existed in Ontario at that time. . . perhaps someone taped it? I seem to recall that was only a week or two before Finals in Montreal that year.

Chuck Naffier

That's definitely a possibility. I actually have parts of 1986 DCI Canada Finals. I bet every year there was a DCI Canada that it was broadcasted and recorded.

I do know that DCI Canada finals were broadcast in Ontario in 1981. . . I remember sitting in Jim Mason's living room in the fall of '81 and watching it on Betamax tape! :-) Long gone tape now. . .

Has anyone ever been able to track any other video of that? So many corps existed in Ontario at that time. . . perhaps someone taped it? I seem to recall that was only a week or two before Finals in Montreal that year.

That would be a gem. DCI Canada was within a week of finals that year. Did they broadcast full shows?

That reminds me....I did see a piece of '81 SCV from that broadcast on, um, a popular video uploading website once upon a time.

Chuck Naffier

It's possible (I wasn't living in Ontario at the time, so I'm not the one to ask). But I was fortunate in finally tracking down someone who posted a video on Facebook of Offensive Lions from the '78 Canadian Nationals telecast. I contacted him, hoping beyond hope that he had Oakland's performance, as well. He did, and so thanks to his generosity (and the fact that he never got rid of that tape), for the first time in 30 years, I and other old Oakies were finally able to watch that telecast video of our show. It was hardly a perfect performance, and our DCI prelims performance would undoubtedly have been superior, but it's far better than nothing, and it really made me come to appreciate even more how good we really were. And we were the 17th-place corps that year.

Anyway, if I was able to track down that video, then it's highly possible that somebody, somewhere has a tape of the '81 DCI Canada telecast. Finding them is the hard part.

Video of Drum Beauty 1981 exists.

I think I know the video that you're talking about, it was the Scouts performance, right? (on a popular video website) It's kind of funny actually, Im pretty sure it was broadcast on KTCA (Twin Cities Public Television), so I wonder if they have old recordings of Drum Beauty shows? Might be something to check into.