Which do you prefer 79 or 80 27th Lancers

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

1979 Was my first trip to DCI

I had never seen corps other tha in California. When 27 came on I was frigging blown away... The majesty of their hard corps military approach and hard as nails look. They seemed to breathe fire and were as intense as any corps I have seen since! :tongue:

80. drum solo fit better, and the corps was better. 79 was a fun show...80 was a good show, more passion.

The only difference is the drum solo 79 Take Five vs 80 New Country. Almost the same drill.

A lot of people think your statement in correct, but it isn't. Drill was very different, Drum book was completely different (I know I played quints in '79 and triples in 1980). And the corp had a huge turnover in people, especially the drumline.

From a performng standpoint I loved 79 over 80. From a placement standpoint I loved 80 (would have liked it more if the season had ended a week earlier :tongue:

Edited by john2780

A lot of people think your statement in correct, but it isn't. Drill was very different, Drum book was completely different (I know I played quints in '79 and triples in 1980). And the corp had a huge turnover in people, especially the drumline.

From a performng standpoint I loved 79 over 80. From a placement standpoint I loved 80 (would have liked it more if the season had ended a week earlier :tongue:

That is interesting in that I always thought the '79 corps was younger. I was in an "A" class corps in 78 and watched you guys practice all day long in Golden Colorado. Although not the best placement year, you guys were intense.

I don't think the '79 corps get's the credit it deserves.

That is interesting in that I always thought the '79 corps was younger. I was in an "A" class corps in 78 and watched you guys practice all day long in Golden Colorado. Although not the best placement year, you guys were intense.

I don't think the '79 corps get's the credit it deserves.

The 79 Lancer corps was younger. The 1978 corps graduated over 30 members, plus many more age-outs. The 1979 corps had a new design staff in Zingali (visual) and Poole (percussion). The corps wasn't full until tour started.

The 1979 show was very exposed - over the top in design. Judges had a tough time interpretating it, yet the corps fought on and were able to get the most out of the show with the talent - and inexperience- that they had.

The 1980 actually had almost two completely different corps. As a member of the drum staff (the infamous Spaceline), we taught over 160 the entire show for our Olympic performance. Many had joined, to only participate in Lake Placid. We taught many new members the charts - and of course the visual show.

The 1980 corps was full before the tour began - so we were better able to compete.

As John2780 said - he had more fun in 1979. I suspect it is because there was absolutely zero expectations to win, after starting out in such a rough position.

The 1980 corps had targets on their back - and we still had much adversity to deal with - but I am proud to say the corps was sharp, precise, and were monsters on the field.

1979 Was my first trip to DCI

I had never seen corps other tha in California. When 27 came on I was frigging blown away... The majesty of their hard corps military approach and hard as nails look. They seemed to breathe fire and were as intense as any corps I have seen since! :tongue:

Anthoney, when I was in the Cavaliers, we always talked about 'the curse of 7th place'. What does the number 7 mean to the Renegades?

I prefer 79--from a guard standpoint, they were much sharper in 79, including a bigger rifle line (with no missing members, as they did in 80). I also prefer the arrangements from 79 as well.

I prefer 79--from a guard standpoint, they were much sharper in 79, including a bigger rifle line (with no missing members, as they did in 80). I also prefer the arrangements from 79 as well.

If I recall correctly, the only time the '80 rifle line was missing a member was at finals, due to one member who performed at prelims, but was then hospitalized with an appendicitis attack. Nothing anyone could do about that.

Personally, I prefer the '80 show. Yes, I know there were differences, but it seemed a much more fully realized and better-executed version of the '79 program.