Favorite Dreitzer Tunes

Does anyone know if Hy arranged "How Deep Is Your Love" for the Madison Scouts in 1978? I found a chart for that number while looking through my recent find. Also found "Blue Prelude" that he arranged for the New York Skyliners. This number didn't even make it through the winter season. And it's a GREAT number. GREAT muted sop trio. Man, some of the stuff he wrote that never even made the field. GEEZ!!!!

Edited by NYSkyliner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if Hy arranged "How Deep Is Your Love" for the Madison Scouts in 1978? I found a chart for that number while looking through my recent find. Also found "Blue Prelude" that he arranged for the New York Skyliners. This number didn't even make it through the winter season. And it's a GREAT number. GREAT muted sop trio. Man, some of the stuff he wrote that never even made the field. GEEZ!!!!

MIke,

As I'm sure you know, Hy was constantly receiving suggestions from corps members and staff. When had an idea in his head it usually ended up on paper, even if only in sketch form. They guy was brilliant when it came to getting a certain sound. Skyliners, SJP/Brassmen, CMCC and St. Iggies all sounded different, yet all the charts were penned by the same guy. The only possible "sound alike" corps I can remember is when St. Rocco's sounded like a junior version of the Skyliners. Can anyone else site a similarity?

I just remembered: Hy wrote for Bridgeport PAL - I loved his "O How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" chart.

MIke,

As I'm sure you know, Hy was constantly receiving suggestions from corps members and staff. When had an idea in his head it usually ended up on paper, even if only in sketch form. They guy was brilliant when it came to getting a certain sound. Skyliners, SJP/Brassmen, CMCC and St. Iggies all sounded different, yet all the charts were penned by the same guy. The only possible "sound alike" corps I can remember is when St. Rocco's sounded like a junior version of the Skyliners. Can anyone else site a similarity?

I just remembered: Hy wrote for Bridgeport PAL - I loved his "O How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" chart.

I tried to say this earlier but you just captured it much better. Each corps had a characteristic sound, both in their scoring, and in their approach to the instruments. That, in and of itself is not unique - look at Devils for instance, or Genero's Hurricanes - but all those different corps whose charts sounded completely different, and whose technique program was geared to the strengths of the players in such a way that they actually played differently from the other corps he taught.

The killer to that is okay it's one thing for the Desplain Vanguard to sound different from the CMCC Warriors - there's 800 or so miles and a world of differences between them, but the St. Joes Patron plays and sound totally different from corps only a borough away. It was pissah.

In my opinion no one else has ever accomplished that in this activity, at least not on a scale like that.

Skyliners, SJP/Brassmen, CMCC and St. Iggies all sounded different, yet all the charts were penned by the same guy. The only possible "sound alike" corps I can remember is when St. Rocco's sounded like a junior version of the Skyliners. Can anyone else site a similarity?

The only other similarity between Dreitzer horn charts played by different corps that I would offer is the SJPatron/St. Rita's Brassmen "Minnie the Moocher." Every time I hear the Brassmen Alumni play this song, I would swear I was listening to the Skyliners.

Maybe it's more a result of the personnel who are playing it now more than the arrangement? I know I heard SJP play it back in the 60's, but the current version is the one I am more familiar with.

MIke,

Yes, I've known that for decades, remember I was there to see and hear it for myself. But I fail to see what that has to do with the question that I asked regarding the Madison Scouts. As I said earlier (and which you responded to), I found a chart for "How Deep Is Your Love" that has no name as to who arranged it, BUT the chart is in black ink (Not a copy but the original chart). I KNOW that Hy arranged this piece. HOW you ask? I know Hy's writing when I see it. The way he wrote his one count rests and quarter rests, etc. The ONLY Corps that played that number during Hy's lifetime was the Madison Scouts in 1978. Now, once again, can anyone tell me if the arrangement that the Madison Scouts played in 1978 was the one that was arranged by Hy?

Edited by NYSkyliner

The only other similarity between Dreitzer horn charts played by different corps that I would offer is the SJPatron/St. Rita's Brassmen "Minnie the Moocher." Every time I hear the Brassmen Alumni play this song, I would swear I was listening to the Skyliners.

Maybe it's more a result of the personnel who are playing it now more than the arrangement? I know I heard SJP play it back in the 60's, but the current version is the one I am more familiar with.

In the Brassmen Alumni you'll find a few of Dreitzer's "students" who performed with both the SJP/St. Rita's Junior Corps and the New York Skyliners. Maldonato (lead soprano), Ruben Ariola (Solo Bari, now playing 2nd soprano) and Stevie Wright (Lead Baritone and has been playing the Bari Solo in Minnie The Moucher) all performed with all of the above mentioned Corps.

Edited by NYSkyliner

One of you Sky guys have to correct me but I don't think those tunes were Hy. People forget that Sky got crazy at the end of the 70s and used a couple other arrangers - all good - but not Hy's Sky sound - Bob Pierson and Larry Kerchner for 2 of them.

Rainmaker yes - the other two - I don't think so.

When Grass took over Directorship in '77 he fired Hy and replaced him with Bob Pearson. Then following the '80 Season Bob Holton became Director and rehired Hy. All those number, "Slaughter", "Big Noise From Winetka", Rainmaker", they were all Hy's arrangements. Larry Kerchner didn't come along til after Hy past away.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Hi Larry ... that particular number was written for the PAL by John Sasso in 67 ... Hy came along the next year and penned The Exodus, Our Boys Will Shine Tonight, Carribe, Hall Of The Mountain King and Love is Blue for us ... it was a real pleasure working with, and learning from, him ...

:-)

In my opinion no one else has ever accomplished that in this activity, at least not on a scale like that.

The only one that comes to mind (for me) is Bill Hayes ... he wrote for both Blessed Sacrament and St. Catherine's Queensmen in the 50's through 1960 ... both were national powerhouses and both had such a unique and different sound and style, that one would have never gueessed they had the same arranger/instructor ...

:-)

One of the earliest corps Hy wrote for was the St. Joesph Cadets (Newark, NJ) This was the first exposure I had to Hy's arrangements. St Joe's always came "off the line" with "Madame Butterfly" intro followed with " The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Then "The Continential, Brazil, When You're Smiling, Come to Get you in a Taxi Honey, and my all time favorite A Tisket A Tasket Intro to If This Is'nt Love ." Then the closer "For All We Know, We Will Never Meet Again". The year was 1954. I was 15, This show hooked me on Hy's musical style. Of course, his later arrangements only got better and more complex. His genius showed through his fantastic writings. By the way, Tommy Swan was a soloist with St. Jos's and I think Gus Winke was too. Does anyone know who else was a part of the corps?