Quick thoughts on new hires at Colts

What do you guys think about the new drill designer and perc. arranger for the Colts?

Here are the links:

Rich Viano Appointed Colts Percussion Arranger

Andrew Ebert Appointed Colts Visual Designer

The reason I ask is because I'm not familiar with either of these men. Both seem to have a lot of experience and might be good for the overall quality of the Colts team but I'd like to know what the forum thinks.

What do you guys think about the new drill designer and perc. arranger for the Colts?

Here are the links:

Rich Viano Appointed Colts Percussion Arranger

Andrew Ebert Appointed Colts Visual Designer

The reason I ask is because I'm not familiar with either of these men. Both seem to have a lot of experience and might be good for the overall quality of the Colts team but I'd like to know what the forum thinks.

Andy Ebert is the man. Fantastic teacher/designer

Andy is amazing. He has written for myband the past 3 years and his drill is outstanding. He understands where to put the instruments at the right time while also making all the elements very effective. He has a great understanding of guard placement and integration. This is a great move by the Colts. I knew it was only a matter of time before Andy would get a drum corps gig.

I am never wowed by these announcements about writers. I know from history that the touring staff makes the difference, not mail it in writers. It is so cliche these days to make announcements of "big"names to try to impress someone, inept judges maybe? and then the corps still has show and performance issues. Seems Colts are having MAJOR staff retention problems. As anyone in the staff end of the activity clearly knows, this is usually a major sign of administrative issues. If I am not mistaken, Ray Vasquez is the only remaining caption head/designer. Not surprisingly, seems Ray and the administration staff is on the same page. I wish the best for the organization and the members, though I am sure the members are contented.

I am never wowed by these announcements about writers. I know from history that the touring staff makes the difference, not mail it in writers. It is so cliche these days to make announcements of "big"names to try to impress someone, inept judges maybe? and then the corps still has show and performance issues. Seems Colts are having MAJOR staff retention problems. As anyone in the staff end of the activity clearly knows, this is usually a major sign of administrative issues. If I am not mistaken, Ray Vasquez is the only remaining caption head/designer. Not surprisingly, seems Ray and the administration staff is on the same page. I wish the best for the organization and the members, though I am sure the members are contented.

Chris Tomsa and Stephanie Furniss are still there. I think only Max and Randy Nelson left. I'm not sure if its an admin problem or if they are trying to find those people that will push them into finals. It seems they weren't happy with Nelson's drill, which from looking back at the forums...not many people were fans of it either. Not sure about percussion honestly. But the core staff is still with the corps.

Chris Tomsa and Stephanie Furniss are still there. I think only Max and Randy Nelson left. I'm not sure if its an admin problem or if they are trying to find those people that will push them into finals. It seems they weren't happy with Nelson's drill, which from looking back at the forums...not many people were fans of it either. Not sure about percussion honestly. But the core staff is still with the corps.

I guess I am looking at the past two years. Lost their most successful drill writer with longevity ever, Jeremy Hunt, to Spirit in 2010 and now their next drill writer. So two changes in two years therre. Lost their program coordinators from 2009 (their most successful with longevity, Jude Boughton) and then from 2010 (two years in a row of changes there). Lost their percussion staff this season. Lost brass staff last season. Lost most visual staff 2009 to 2010 and now to 2011. Seems pretty unstable to me. But again, I wish them the best. Chris and Stephanie are nice people with talent, but the core people?

I guess I am looking at the past two years. Lost their most successful drill writer with longevity ever, Jeremy Hunt, to Spirit in 2010 and now their next drill writer. So two changes in two years therre. Lost their program coordinators from 2009 (their most successful with longevity, Jude Boughton) and then from 2010 (two years in a row of changes there). Lost their percussion staff this season. Lost brass staff last season. Lost most visual staff 2009 to 2010 and now to 2011. Seems pretty unstable to me. But again, I wish them the best. Chris and Stephanie are nice people with talent, but the core people?

Jeremy Hunt treated the members terribly and was an inconsistent drill writer. Randy Nelson wrote awful drill. The Colts didn't "Lose them" they were let go. Stephanie, Chris, and Ray ARE the core people. They love the members, and the members respect them. The most stable staff Colts has had in years.

Andy is amazing. He has written for myband the past 3 years and his drill is outstanding. He understands where to put the instruments at the right time while also making all the elements very effective. He has a great understanding of guard placement and integration. This is a great move by the Colts. I knew it was only a matter of time before Andy would get a drum corps gig.

Reading his bio on the Colts site, he's been on Crown's visual staff since 2005 (the first summer after his age-out) and has been caption head since 2007. Just saying...

:tongue: