All Brass High School Marching Bands....

BrassClef

There's a couple community brass bands that have ties to schools. But I don't know of any as part of a school. Especially high school. I suppose it's possible and likely given the girth of a country. My HS did have remedial woodwind only and brass only classes for those who failed the audition for the main group. At one time anyway.

I don't know if your could catagorize Gold as a all brass high school. There used to be Northpoint. I might have the name wrong. Pennsville used to be 98% all brass back in the day (early 80's)

Maybe DCI should look into a high school division when most district go to year round classes.

Alliance from Florida is a full drum and bugle corps from North Port High School, in Florida. There are a few all brass, some involved with Military Academies. Edited by jonnyboy

Whether or not they compete, I'm not sure. But there is a small town in Ohio called St. Marys. Their high school has an all brass and percussion marching band. They are patterned after a hybrid corps/military style. The instrumentation includes Bb trumpets, F mellophones, Bb trombones, Bb corps style baritones and Bb Sousaphones.

Here is a link to their website. It doesn't seem to work right, but if you scroll down, there's a picture of them in the gym bleachers for some sort of rally.

They exist, but they are as unsatisfying in the world of HS bands as a drum corps with wood-winds would be in the world of drum corps.

The twain really doesn't meet.

• Like 1

There a few all brass HS bands in Ohio, and a few that are mostly there, but as far as I know none of them are competition bands.

My HS (Staunton HS, Staunton IL) was all brass from at least the 60's up until relatively recently (sometime after my band director retired...maybe mid/late 90's). All the woodwind players from concert band had to learn a brass or percussion instrument for marching band. I never marched with woodwinds or a sousaphone until I went off to college.

Whether or not they compete, I'm not sure. But there is a small town in northwest Ohio called St. Marys. Their high school has an all brass and percussion marching band. They are patterned after a hybrid corps/military style. The instrumentation includes Bb trumpets, F mellophones, Bb trombones, Bb corps style baritones and Bb Sousaphones.

Pretty sure I saw this group c. 1993, and they were a high-stepping, dancing band. I remember that the marching band at Olmsted Falls, in northeast Ohio, was also all-brass, strictly halftime-style. Possibly these bands are all-brass in echo of the Ohio State marching band.

My HS (Staunton HS, Staunton IL) was all brass from at least the 60's up until relatively recently (sometime after my band director retired...maybe mid/late 90's). All the woodwind players from concert band had to learn a brass or percussion instrument for marching band. I never marched with woodwinds or a sousaphone until I went off to college.

Now were the woodwinds only allowed to play a brass or could they do color guard or percussion?