How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

I want cymbals in the pit because, to be quite honest, I just don't care.

It's not about musicality or anything. I just think plate lines are boring. I don't care about the billion little sounds you can make by hitting different parts and twirling your cymbals and slicing the air/jumping/ducking was cool back when...but now it's just pointless and boring.

I'm not a percussionist. I'm a band director. I appreciate the snare line/tenor line/bass line for displaying technical expertise and laying down a sick beat...but in a way that's entertaining.

That is all.

It's not about musicality or anything. I just think plate lines are boring. I don't care about the billion little sounds you can make by hitting different parts and twirling your cymbals and slicing the air/jumping/ducking was cool back when...but now it's just pointless and boring.

I'm not a percussionist. I'm a band director. I appreciate the snare line/tenor line/bass line for displaying technical expertise and laying down a sick beat...but in a way that's entertaining.

^ Implying cymbals take no talent to play/make sound good.

Everything you said about cymbals being played different ways goes for drums.

If there is ever a day that SCV gets rid of their plate line there will be a riot on hand.

SCV has made their plate line iconic....you look for them....they are very well-integrated into the show. I think other corps, top corps particularly since it is mostly top corps lacking plate lines, could do the same if they tried.

So do the Crossmen.

That is all.

Not about musicality? Really?? All those "billion little sounds you can make by hitting different parts" have everything to do with musicality! Wow! Glad you're not the director at the school my kids go to!

Can anyone really say SCV's line doesn't show musicality?

Edited by skajerk

Fine. If you want to change what you said, I'll play along. Those billion little sounds that you hate so much have everything to with musicality AND musical ability. Can you go out and do what SCV's line plays? Again, with that attitude, thank God my kids aren't under your directorship.

3) while quality techs are out there, a lot of guys writing dont have the cymbal background to write, and won't hand over the reins to the tech to fill in the gaps

Good point. I know one very talented writer that puts the crashes in the score and works with the cymbal tech to fine tune the specific parts. ie Big crash at end...all five guys. Ok, here I want the hi-hat thing you guys do and end with a two beat swishy thingy. etc.

That is all.

Sadly this reminds me of the few band directors I've worked with. One guy really had no interest in excellence in the percussion section and would not only show no support for cymbals and basses, he would hamper my ability to bring those sections up to par. He got one year out of me and drove the excellent music program he inheirited into the ground. He no longer teaches.

If there is ever a day that SCV gets rid of their plate line there will be a riot on hand.

SCV has made their plate line iconic....you look for them....they are very well-integrated into the show. I think other corps, top corps particularly since it is mostly top corps lacking plate lines, could do the same if they tried.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

If you love cymbals and want to audition for the 2011 Crossmen Cymbal Line, please go register on the Crossmen website and register for the audition camp! They can't field a cymbal line without members, so go audition! Thanks everyone!