Rivalries in DCI.

I think 91,2,3. Cant believe you never heard about this. Cadets getting beat by Star, does not surprise me in the least.

I knew they placed higher....just don't recall a "rivalry" as far as the members.

IMHO, Cavaliers have not practiced, promoted any real rivalries since the 60's (several EAST corps, and the local competitive neighbors like Royal Airs, Norwood, Nisei). Rockford, Madison and Bluestars were always respected competitors and friends as has been SCV in a very playful sense too. We mostly operate(d) as the fun-loving fraternity house that would rather wink at school rules (outside the corps rules) especially if we could get the women or at least a jolly rancher food fight for giggles. Now, with that said, there is absolutely no love lost with Concord -- totally polar opposites in philosophy, attitude, approach, competition, etc. and this rivalry for many alums has become to a point of non-objectivity in anything and everything Blue Devil. My opinion and observation. And while I was specifically out-of-loop during STAR era, there was more disdain for their arrogance which is probably a similar attitude regarding relationship with CROWN recently.

• Like 1

yeah who are we kidding here. The rivalries that existed when the activity first started, when the kids that performed in the local drum corps that represented their regions and local neighborhoods, don't exist at all today. Sure, you can have a loyal allegiance to your corps in this day and age, but how many kids do we know now will go and pick fist fights with their alleged "rival corps?" I strongly believe that there was much more palpable pride apparent in corps of previous years, and their respective drum corps represented much more than just a summer performing ensemble. Beef among each back then was dealt with as much off the field than on it. The activity has changed, performers have changed, and the values instilled in today's kids (not just in drum corps) is to deal with differences as diplomatically as possible.

IMHO, there are no real, clear cut rivalries in today's activity, but rather groups of talented students who spend a great deal more time perfecting field shows that weren't even conscionable back in the day than worrying about how to fight a rival corps. Having said that, I totally wouldn't be opposed to seeing a nasty brawl in a parking lot, cause let's be honest, that'd be pretty #### entertaining lol

I have many friends that marched both crown and cadets throughout the 2000's, and the rivalry story developed a lot over that span of time. Crown hated the Cadets during their rebirth years when the separated from YEA and tried to establish themselves as a real threat and do so with their own identity (certainly accomplished). The hatred kicked back when Crown first beat the Cadets in 2008 and started to escalate from there. Although the members don't try to hurt each other in the parking lot, there are DEFINITELY strong feelings of hatred back and forth between the corps. Cadets have yet to sacrifice their class in uniform, but Crown members have openly disrespected the Cadets while both corps were in uniform and tried to get the Cadets to fight back in ways that other corps, even the Cavaliers, have not done. This includes physical interaction as well, not just verbal.

As far as BD and Crown go, I don't think anybody at BD is worried about Crown ; ) Crown members may be bitter because they can't reach the next level, but Blue Devils are riding high and show no sign of slowing down and letting Crown pass them. Rivalries have two sides

Oh, really now? Cause I spent a good amount of time around both of these corps, I also have friends in both, and have competed against both in the last couple of years, and I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I haven't heard or witnessed any physical taunting or altercations from either side, just the normal mutual respect and fun you see from every corps, and always out of uniform. Never while in uniform.

The only example of a corps rivalry I can think of anymore would be the classic, old-school ones, namely SCV v. BD, and even SCV v. Cavaliers, but given the staff changes, that one has gotten pretty interesting lately.

Oh, really now? Cause I spent a good amount of time around both of these corps, I also have friends in both, and have competed against both in the last couple of years, and I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. I haven't heard or witnessed any physical taunting or altercations from either side, just the normal mutual respect and fun you see from every corps, and always out of uniform. Never while in uniform.

The only example of a corps rivalry I can think of anymore would be the classic, old-school ones, namely SCV v. BD, and even SCV v. Cavaliers, but given the staff changes, that one has gotten pretty interesting lately.

I guess you just havn't heard yet. Specifically - Carolina Crown members have actually punched the helmets and shakos of other corps as they march by. I have SEEN this take place, besides the fact that I have heard all about it from the members of both corps. Cadets and Crown definitely have a rivalry, as the members of both corps consider the opposite corps their rival. I do not know what your definition of a rivalry is. If you go to FSU, which I assume you do, you should talk to some cadets that go to FSU and ask them specifically if they feel there is a rivalry between them and Crown.

• Like 1

I guess you just havn't heard yet. Specifically - Carolina Crown members have actually punched the helmets and shakos of other corps as they march by. I have SEEN this take place, besides the fact that I have heard all about it from the members of both corps. Cadets and Crown definitely have a rivalry, as the members of both corps consider the opposite corps their rival. I do not know what your definition of a rivalry is. If you go to FSU, which I assume you do, you should talk to some cadets that go to FSU and ask them specifically if they feel there is a rivalry between them and Crown.

I don't go to school with any Cadets members, but I do go to school with Crown members, some of the most trust-worthy people I know, and none of them can confirm these occurrences. My definition of a rivalry is probably the same as everyone else's, two groups that have a history of back-and-forth competition, and are close enough to have developed a report between the two groups, leading to the rivalry. Not sure how that's different. Well, I guess a lot has changed since '09 and '10, since that was when I was marching last....

I don't go to school with any Cadets members, but I do go to school with Crown members, some of the most trust-worthy people I know, and none of them can confirm these occurrences. My definition of a rivalry is probably the same as everyone else's, two groups that have a history of back-and-forth competition, and are close enough to have developed a report between the two groups, leading to the rivalry. Not sure how that's different. Well, I guess a lot has changed since '09 and '10, since that was when I was marching last....

I am not trash talking for the sake of trash talking - if you are convinced based on the word of your friends that is ok, but it doesn't override the rivalry that many other members of both organizations have admitted to and fueled. I won't pretend the Cadets havn't done anything either - thats all part of the rivalry as well, but I do not know of any specific things they have done. Watch the 09 Crown tour DVD. If i had a dollar for every time one of the members talks about how they did in comparison to the Cadets the previous evening, I'd be rich. Seems pretty obsessive to not have anything to do with a rivalry, or one certainly in the making

For the record - I know of many Cadets that go to FSU

• Like 1

I am not trash talking for the sake of trash talking - if you are convinced based on the word of your friends that is ok, but it doesn't override the rivalry that many other members of both organizations have admitted to and fueled. I won't pretend the Cadets havn't done anything either - thats all part of the rivalry as well, but I do not know of any specific things they have done. Watch the 09 Crown tour DVD. If i had a dollar for every time one of the members talks about how they did in comparison to the Cadets the previous evening, I'd be rich. Seems pretty obsessive to not have anything to do with a rivalry, or one certainly in the making

For the record - I know of many Cadets that go to FSU

Possibly, not saying you're wrong, just saying I haven't experienced what you're referencing. And I think you're thinking of a different FSU than I attend, there are no Cadets here. We're pretty west coast oriented....