Rivalries in DCI.

If more than one corps ruined the mass brass encore in 2008, that doesn't absolve any of them - blue or otherwise - from guilt in that sorry episode. It was bad business, and no ought to be trying to rationalize it.

As for rivalries, watch the spatulas when the cook crews face off. They can bring the heat!

HH

If more than one corps ruined the mass brass encore in 2008, that doesn't absolve any of them - blue or otherwise - from guilt in that sorry episode. It was bad business, and no ought to be trying to rationalize it.

As for rivalries, watch the spatulas when the cook crews face off. They can bring the heat!

HH

Agreed. I was just pointing out that there were other groups involved. All too often people automatically want to blame the blue devils when anything goes wrong when there are plenty of groups that have individuals that act a fool.

• Like 1

I :worthy: had a rivalary with a tenor :devil: from the cadets over a rifle :devil: from 27 back in the day. Not only did he win the "ship he married the rifle.... :grrr::smile: But it was all good :blink::peek: since they were married for almost 20 yrs until she passed away :worthy: . They even had 2 kids.

I don't understand this. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you are glad someone's wife died? I hope I am wrong.

Oh, and I have a rivalry with George Hopkins, just like everyone else. :smile:

No, I don't read it that way...he's saying that he liked the girl and was jealous, but ended up knowing she was happy for the 20 years of her marriage and family.

I don't understand this. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you are glad someone's wife died? I hope I am wrong.

How about the rivalry between Hopkins and Scott Stewart?!

How about the rivalry between Hopkins and Scott Stewart?!

Indeed....the Hopkins/Stewart rivalry was very real with intense dislike. Some would argue that Hopkins eventually won out and is a major reason (like it or leave it) for the "state" of the activity today. There are those that also believe that Mr. Stewart simply took his football and went home. But that view couldn't be further from the truth. Scott put up a valiant defense for his view of the activity....DCI, along with Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Gibb's decided to go a different direction.

Edited by Mad75

Indeed....the Hopkins/Stewart rivalry was very real with intense dislike. Some would argue that Hopkins eventually one out and is a major reason (like it or leave it) for the "state" of the activity today. There are those that also believe that Mr. Stewart simply took his football and went home. But that view couldn't be further from the truth. Scott put up a valiant defense for his view of the activity....DCI, along with Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Gibb's decided to go a different direction.

Think maybe its coming around full circle for Mr.H, Mr.G and DCI? They have to do something to get more butts in the seats, cant keep going backwards with that especially come finals weekend. The rivalry between the two I bet still is going, just he is waiting for Mr. H to come to his circuit when its his turn. haha. Agian thanks Mr. H from keeping me off tv my last marching year and I look forward to what your going to do to make DCI better this next year. I have to say you make the drama in Drum Corps, special.

Well no matter how you look at it, I'm sure that corps back in the day did WAY more than any corps do today in terms of little disputes and rivalry-driven games. In my years marching I've seen some questionable conduct from pretty much every corps in the top 8 at least once, my own included.

I marched 4 years in drum corps aging out in 09 with Blue Stars. I don't really remember much rivalry, though in each group I marched in we had certain groups we saw as being our direct competition. At Blue Stars it seemed to be Boston, but we hardly had a rivalry with them. Though I will say there is a lot of animosity between Colts and Blue Stars stemming from Colts making finals in 07 and not in 08. The Colts have repeatedly suffered from bad design despite the fact they are talented performers, and I think the kids just felt "why them and not us." Though this was mostly a brass thing, colts and blue stars colorguard are kind of indifferent to each other... The most intense rivalry I remember was when I marched Jersey Surf in 07: Surf vs. Spartans! I'm still bitter about them beating us at div II finals even though we won high brass and percussion!

• Like 1

I think this "punching" that you guys are talking about was probably just bumping shakos as they walk by because of a tight space. Exaggeration is hilarious.

No its the complete truth. Phantom wears their helmets while they walk in twos to the stadium so it would be impossible for them to "bump shakos". I've seen Carolina Crown members (this past season) hitting PR members in the back of the head while in uniform. To be completely honest, I think Carolina Crown is one of the most classless organizations in drum corps. They have no respect for other corps and think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just waiting for all the Crown supporters/members to post on this thread saying "nuh uhh". Fact of the matter is I have a video of this occurring taped by a good friend of mine who's in PR. Needless to say, his mother was not pleased when she saw Crown members disrespecting them in uniform.

• Like 2