Noticing the obvious.

Was perusing the DCI website today and happened to notice that:

With the exception of 27th Kingsmen (1972) and Star, every corps that has won finals is still actively competing today?

Is this the ultimate proof of that "Competitive Momentum" thingy debated around here?

Is it also a reason why the activity is slowly dying?

Just two glasses of wine thinking and typing...

Edited by garfield

Kingsmen, not 27. Chicken or the egg, really, I guess - did the championships give them added long-term viability, or did their long-term viability result in championships?

Mike

Oops, thanks Mike. Fixed.

Darn wine...

Yep, chicken or egg.

Edited by garfield

Oops, thanks Mike. Fixed.

Darn wine...

Yep, chicken or egg.

More like Henny Penny or the egg! :thumbup:

I think more interesting is the 10th to 12th place corps. We lose more of them then the upper upper echolon (sic).

OK, while waiting for my pizza to arrive, from the list of corps finishing in 10th to 12th spot:

46 out of 117 corps finishing in those positions are now gone, or 39.3%.

Was perusing the DCI website today and happened to notice that:

With the exception of 27th Kingsmen (1972) and Star, every corps that has won finals is still actively competing today?

Is this the ultimate proof of that "Competitive Momentum" thingy debated around here?

Is it also a reason why the activity is slowly dying?

Just two glasses of wine thinking and typing...

90% of " The Combine Corps " that together formed DCI are still around competing today.

Of the " Non Combine Corps ", less than 5% are around competing today.

From 1972 to 2002 out of a possible 160 corps who placed 10th 11th or 12th 20 corps are no longer around. An estimated total of less then 50 corps held the final three spots over that time.

Corps such as Freelancers placed in the final bottom three 6 times,Velvet Knights also placed 6 times Sky Ryders 5 times, Magic 4 but a total of 5 in its lifetime, North Star & Guardsmen 3 times, Bridgemen, 27th, Kilties twice and a bunch of one shot Commodores, Bleu Raiders, Dutch Boy et al.

Still Active

Colts 6 times, Carolina Crown 7 times, Crossmen 5 times, Glassmen twice within the above time frame but take it out to present and they have been in the final 3 spot a total of 9 times, Spirit like Glassmen only appeared 3 times in the time frame, but a total of 8 times, Troopers 4 times but surprisingly 13th or 14th 6 times, Amazingly Cavaliers & Phantom Regiment 3 times, Madison Twice,

From 1972 to 2002 out of a possible 160 corps who placed 10th 11th or 12th 20 corps are no longer around. An estimated total of less then 50 corps held the final three spots over that time.

Corps such as Freelancers placed in the final bottom three 6 times,Velvet Knights also placed 6 times Sky Ryders 5 times, Magic 4 but a total of 5 in its lifetime, North Star & Guardsmen 3 times, Bridgemen, 27th, Kilties twice and a bunch of one shot Commodores, Bleu Raiders, Dutch Boy et al.

Still Active

Colts 6 times, Carolina Crown 7 times, Crossmen 5 times, Glassmen twice within the above time frame but take it out to present and they have been in the final 3 spot a total of 9 times, Spirit like Glassmen only appeared 3 times in the time frame, but a total of 8 times, Troopers 4 times but surprisingly 13th or 14th 6 times, Amazingly Cavaliers & Phantom Regiment 3 times, Madison Twice,

I get your point, Blackstar, but 30 years times 3 positions is 90 positions, not 160. 39 years times 3 positions is 117 positions. See my earlier post...

(pizza's here!)

I get your point, Blackstar, but 30 years times 3 positions is 90 positions, not 160. 39 years times 3 positions is 117 positions. See my earlier post...

(pizza's here!)

Yeah...Maff wasn't my best subject. I was the guy that sat around looking good....okay maybe not. Just thought it might be interesting to break it down. I was surprised to see Phantom in 10th place as late as 86. I bet Colts have come in 12th more then any other corps 5 times and 13th 5 times. Troopers has had the best flucuation of any corps. 2nd in 72 to as low as 25th in 97.