Corps Hang Out

Linda, how could you hang with EOC peeps and NOT go to the Conway ???

Mondays was George's Spagetti House listening to Moe Koffman jam with the guys, way cool, and I like you too ;-) The odd Thursday was Blues on Bathurst Street. Every other day was drum corps practise. Weekends? well you know. What's Conway? Is it convoy? Please remind me svp :blink:

What's Conway? Is it convoy?

My bad, tap room at the ConROY hotel. Refuge for the DeLaSalle vets & imports, Duggan's kiddies were too young.

White-shirted bowtied waiters brought your beer, illegal in TO then to walk around with yer own.

My first two years with DCA's Sunrisers, our offseason home was the Floyd Bennett AL Post in Brooklyn, NY.

At various times in my six years with Sun, we hung out after our Long Island rehearsals at several different watering holes, depending on the year and whether or not we had worn out our welcome...LOL: Bill's Meadowbrook, Joe's Bar (not kidding about that name), Chico's, and the Runway. Plus any number of fast-food joints and other eating places.

Several members of the corps' Jersey Crew would pay an occasional visit to Randazzo's Italian Seafood restaurant in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay neighborhood on the way home from Long Island to NJ. Really good straight-up Italian cooking. :thumbup:

My first two years with DCA's Sunrisers, our offseason home was the Floyd Bennett AL Post in Brooklyn, NY.

At various times in my six years with Sun, we hung out after our Long Island rehearsals at several different watering holes, depending on the year and whether or not we had worn out our welcome...LOL: Bill's Meadowbrook, Joe's Bar (not kidding about that name), Chico's, and the Runway. Plus any number of fast-food joints and other eating places.

Several members of the corps' Jersey Crew would pay an occasional visit to Randazzo's Italian Seafood restaurant in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay neighborhood on the way home from Long Island to NJ. Really good straight-up Italian cooking. :thumbup:

HAAAAAA The RUNWAY, what a great dump! Named for the runway that CHARLES LINDBERG took off from on his historic flight to Paris. Sunrisers actually did drill on one of those runways at Mitchell field.

The old timers HATED us. One time, agitated by our rowdiness,one of them said to Bubba: YOU LOOK LIKE FATTY ARBUCKLE YA HUMP" Jokes all season about that.

It was good while it lasted , good until Jimmy broke all the windowws in the autobody shop next door with rocks one night. Some of the color guard girls went there after that and the bartender started throwing glasses at them. We never went back. :)

One of many stories about a corps hangout. stein

When I was with the Hawthorne Muchachos it was the Come On Inn in Haledon, NJ (for those of age)...

With the Bayonne Bridgemen it was the Venice in Bayonne, or South Beach on Staten Island, NY... not the one in Miami :rolleyes:

it's still the V for Bayonne.

also for me it was the "track met" behind the bowling alley in Cranford NJ

HAAAAAA The RUNWAY, what a great dump! Named for the runway that CHARLES LINDBERG took off from on his historic flight to Paris. Sunrisers actually did drill on one of those runways at Mitchell field.

The old timers HATED us. One time, agitated by our rowdiness,one of them said to Bubba: YOU LOOK LIKE FATTY ARBUCKLE YA HUMP" Jokes all season about that.

It was good while it lasted , good until Jimmy broke all the windowws in the autobody shop next door with rocks one night. Some of the color guard girls went there after that and the bartender started throwing glasses at them. We never went back. :)

One of many stories about a corps hangout. stein

Steinie and Fran,

Amazing! And yet, Sky and Reilly were/are constantly depicted as the bad boys of senior drum corps. tsk, tsk; for shame. Hey, I'll bet even Cabs have a skeleton or two somewhere in the dark recesses of their closet too. I seem to recall a very lively "discussion" in Wildwood one year between a very prominent Cab and a judge of some repute.

Ray

Ray Cabs have a lot of great stories , but you'll never see them on here. Like most corps, they have an "internet rule" that they are very serious about.

As far as a "corps hangout" they have their own bar and hall which I suggest everyone in drum corps visit at least once.

In La Crosse, there was a bar on every block, so plenty of hangouts. Remember this was the days when the legal age was 18. We usually had one bar where we would meet each night after practice. In 1979 it was the Rustic Inn downtown.

rustic.jpg

I know...... :(

In Braintree Ma, both the Warriors, and St. Thomas More Cadets took their pizza and bevvies at Mel Woods on Pearl Street in South Braintree, a bar room. In the summer the place was Al's Drive In on Quincy Ave in Quincy, a car hop. Both corps participated in "peel out" contests after dining. All we needed were Richie Cunningham, Potsie Webber, Ralph Malf, and The Fonz.

At that time there were 5, count em, 5 corps in that small town. In addition to the Warriors and St. Thomas More Cadets there were the feeder corps, the Braves, and the Tomahawks from the Warriors organization, and the Squires from St. Thomas More. The two organizations were not real buddy buddy.

Gil

Use to visit Mell Woods with Jim Buglio and sell many 50/50 raffle tickets. Now go sell some insurance Gil!