Who will make a move.....

The who might make it into the top 12 thread got me thinking who might move up into the top 8 this season. I see Phantom potentially getting bumped what with losing the Rennick "effect". Let's face it, without that drumline last year Phantom is very likely the 8th place corps if you look at the other caption scores. I see Madison continuing to push and making top 8 knocking Phantom out.

This is an interesting point, and I would also add the following.....speaking hypothetically, suppose Madison for example places 7th this summer. BUT, for whatever reason they decide to NOT particpate in the "special events" in 2012, what would be the result?

They wouldn't lose their top 8 status, because they came in 7th and that's that. Would the 9th place corps be invited to take part in the TOC the following year?

What if SEVERAL corps decided (as a result of 2011) that the extra events,travel,financial strain, member and staff hardships, and loss of focus on the actual DCI finals competitiveness were not worth it? This after all, is what has driven several corps over the years to not allow their members to be involved with I&E even though it, too, is educationally sound.

Hmmmm....and finally, what would happen if several corps simply just want to compete for the DCI Crown rather than the Stars on Ice/Blast/America's Got Talent extravaganza?

Food for thought...I really think this could be a double-edged sword for some groups. While the top 8 take detours to the special events, corps like Madison, Blue Knights, and Boston may well be fine tuning and cleaning their programs and remain completely focused.

Most corps staffs don't even like "clinic days" because they know they will lose show focus and momentum.

Just a thought. But I could be wrong.

Edited by craiga

I think that either Boston or Madison will move into the top eight. At the expense of who, I am not sure, but I think it may be Phantom who drops from the top 8

Boston most likely of the 9-12 to move to top 8 this year, IMO. Madison's having trouble filling their hornline.

I agree with the comment about Phantom, losing Paul Rennick is bound to hurt. Their percussion scores put them over the top for the win with Spartacus and helped mitigate the damage in the years since. SCV, hopefully, will see the drumline improve and get the scores to match.

In other predictions:

I am NOT predicting Blue Stars to break into the top 6, having boldly made this prediction last year and the year before. Maybe I'm jinxing them?

Next new corps to win DCI: Will the Bluecoats win before Crown? Crown IMO has the best hornline in DCI, but Bluecoats seem to have a better total package.

This is an interesting point, and I would also add the following.....speaking hypothetically, suppose Madison for example places 7th this summer. BUT, for whatever reason they decide to NOT particpate in the "special events" in 2012, what would be the result?

They wouldn't lose their top 8 status, because they came in 7th and that's that. Would the 9th place corps be invited to take part in the TOC the following year?

What if SEVERAL corps decided (as a result of 2011) that the extra events,travel,financial strain, member and staff hardships, and loss of focus on the actual DCI finals competitiveness were not worth it? This after all, is what has driven several corps over the years to not allow their members to be involved with I&E even though it, too, is educationally sound.

Hmmmm....and finally, what would happen if several corps simply just want to compete for the DCI Crown rather than the Stars on Ice/Blast/America's Got Talent extravaganza?

Food for thought...I really think this could be a double-edged sword for some groups. While the top 8 take detours to the special events, corps like Madison, Blue Knights, and Boston may well be fine tuning and cleaning their programs and remain completely focused.

Most corps staffs don't even like "clinic days" because they know they will lose show focus and momentum.

Just a thought. But I could be wrong.

The way it sounds from the people I'm talking to is that the amount of extra material would be equivalent to what corps are currently doing for encore material, they'd just be doing it at all the TOC shows instead of just where they would normally do an encore.

Edited by BozzlyB

Boston most likely of the 9-12 to move to top 8 this year, IMO. Madison's having trouble filling their hornline.

I agree with the comment about Phantom, losing Paul Rennick is bound to hurt. Their percussion scores put them over the top for the win with Spartacus and helped mitigate the damage in the years since. SCV, hopefully, will see the drumline improve and get the scores to match.

In other predictions:

I am NOT predicting Blue Stars to break into the top 6, having boldly made this prediction last year and the year before. Maybe I'm jinxing them?

Next new corps to win DCI: Will the Bluecoats win before Crown? Crown IMO has the best hornline in DCI, but Bluecoats seem to have a better total package.

from madison's most recent facebook post:

"Madison Scouts

That Scouts have a few select positions available in the horn line. In particular, we are looking for lead trumpet players with exceptional range. If you are interested in auditioning, please contact Dann Petersen at director@madisonscouts.org"

• Like 1

The way it sounds from the people I'm talking to is that the amount of extra material would be equivalent to what corps are currently doing for encore material, they'd just be doing it at all the TOC shows instead of just where they would normally do an encore.

Bozzly, I think you are correct about the AMOUNT of extra material, but my understanding is that this will be judged (under the new TOC format). My guess is that unlike when you simply play a couple of encore tunes, this will have to be perfected as any other part of your show.

Can anyone add to this or correct me on it?

Bozzly, I think you are correct about the AMOUNT of extra material, but my understanding is that this will be judged (under the new TOC format). My guess is that unlike when you simply play a couple of encore tunes, this will have to be perfected as any other part of your show.

Can anyone add to this or correct me on it?

I'm not sure how the judging works for the TOC shows. I gotta believe to retain integrity in the seeding system for regional shows that the only judged portion that "counts" is the competitive field show.

from madison's most recent facebook post:

"Madison Scouts

That Scouts have a few select positions available in the horn line. In particular, we are looking for lead trumpet players with exceptional range. If you are interested in auditioning, please contact Dann Petersen at director@madisonscouts.org"

There is some code in this message of course. No one comes out and directly says "We'll look at anyone if you play a horn." Madison marched quite a few horns last season...were lot's of them vets? Otherwise, it could be a variety of issues, including money. I've seen lots of kids march every other year or only two times in 5 years because of the high cost of competing at this level. And before this turns into the inevitable "well that's what's wrong with DCI" thread the bashers semi-annually want to have. We aren't readily building many new corps at any level. Every aspect of traveling has increased costs associated with it and the cost of being good continues to escalate as well.

Paul Rennick doesn't leave Regiment because SCV offered him less money. Shane Gwaltney is getting paid more at Regiment than he did with Spirit. Costs of being good continue to escalate. Those are the marbles in front of us.

The who might make it into the top 12 thread got me thinking who might move up into the top 8 this season. I see Phantom potentially getting bumped what with losing the Rennick "effect". Let's face it, without that drumline last year Phantom is very likely the 8th place corps if you look at the other caption scores. I see Madison continuing to push and making top 8 knocking Phantom out.

Madison, possibly Boston. As good as Boston was this last year I see Madison stepping it up another notch and passing them and the Blue Stars this year.

• Like 1