This year's darkhorse...when they shouldn't really be...

Simple...everyone seems to be all lovey and dovey about Crown and Bluecoats...it's fine, both respectable up and comers.

But, in 2011, if it's not BD, I'd look first to Rosemont. They proved last year...they are right there at the heels and had big score bumps during the last week and a half as well.

I think we need to also include Cadets in this discussion before we talk Crown or Bluecoats.

I think if not BD, I would venture to say Cavies would be ready to take the top spot. It's hard to bet against them in the race against BD.

Yeah I dont think that Cavaliers will be a "darkhorse" as much as they will just be not as popular among fans for the expected top spot as crown or bluecoats will be. The cavaliers are consistently a crowd pleaser, and will always have a large fan base and a lot of people that want to see them succeed, but I think more people want to see Crown take it before them.

That being said, I dont think there is a way in heck that BD will take it again this year. It just doesnt seem possible. If nothing more, I just dont see the judges handing out another 3 peat seal of approval.

Interesting, have we gotten to the point where BD is the "likely" winner every year? God I hope not. I guess Cavies and Cadets are pretty safe bets given their track record, but I'd love to see a corps like SCV make a push (I'd say Blue Stars but the collective eye rolling from DCP might slow the earth's rotation down a bit). We'll see what happens.

Let me save Jeff Ream the carpal tunnel and just say:

The corps with the highest score will win. :tongue:

Interesting, have we gotten to the point where BD is the "likely" winner every year? God I hope not. I guess Cavies and Cadets are pretty safe bets given their track record, but I'd love to see a corps like SCV make a push (I'd say Blue Stars but the collective eye rolling from DCP might slow the earth's rotation down a bit). We'll see what happens.

Let me save Jeff Ream the carpal tunnel and just say:

The corps with the highest score will win. :tongue:

Yeah, if this were the Kentucky Derby, I'd bet BD across the board with 5:1 odds to win 3:1 to place and 2:1 to show against the entire field over the past 20 years. I'd be doing really well. Better than anyone's 401K. If you took a BD/CAVIES perfecta, you'd also be doing pretty well. Boxing the perfecta of course.

Edited by Tom Brace

Yeah, if this were the Kentucky Derby, I'd bet BD across the board with 5:1 odds to win 3:1 to place and 2:1 to show against the entire field over the past 20 years. I'd be doing really well. Better than anyone's 401K. If you took a BD/CAVIES perfecta, you'd also be doing pretty well. Boxing the perfecta of course.

Man, I have never thought about betting on drum corps like horse racing. I really want to do that now!

• Like 1

Man, I have never thought about betting on drum corps like horse racing. I really want to do that now!

I smell a new Facebook page in the works....

Set it up, I'm in. 50 bucks on Blue Devils. You so better be right Tom!

Obviously Cavaliers are not a dark horse, but they are flying under the radar on here a bit. Everyone likes the idea of an underdog and everyone wants to see a new champion, so the obvious DCI darlings as of late are going to naturally be Bluecoats and Crown. HOWEVER, at the audition camps it is my understanding that BD and Cavaliers are having plenty of talented members returning and plenty more talented members auditioning. So, I imagine they will both have tons of talent in those corps (BD the same as last year since I don't know how you top the talent they had last year and Cavaliers MORE than last year since I understand that the corps was pretty young in some captions). I also imagine that coats and crown will have plenty of talent in their corps this next year too. So, it should be wide open and I am anxious to see how each of these corps design their shows. To me, that will be the deciding factor.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Except here. :tongue:

Simple...everyone seems to be all lovey and dovey about Crown and Bluecoats...it's fine, both respectable up and comers.

But, in 2011, if it's not BD, I'd look first to Rosemont. They proved last year...they are right there at the heels and had big score bumps during the last week and a half as well.

I think we need to also include Cadets in this discussion before we talk Crown or Bluecoats.

I think if not BD, I would venture to say Cavies would be ready to take the top spot. It's hard to bet against them in the race against BD.

Wacky to call the cavies a dark horse.

Interesting facts (courtesy bknights.org)

carolina crown

head-to-head record

year	vs bc	vs cbc	vs cav
2010	8-9	14-1	7-8
2009	5-0   	13-9	6-5
2008	10-1	12-8	0-13
--------------------------------------------
3 yrs	23-10	39-18	13-26