Non-Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

This always seems very non-scientific to me ...

08_09_2008_judges.jpg

Yep, very much so.

That's why it would be fun to have a real-life "scientific scorer" that accurately pinpoints how the shows really truly verifiably affect the audience, even if people in the audience don't happen to agree. The machine knows best!

I'm making a connection here to when Michael lets the GPS to tell him to drive into the lake on The Office.

There are countless elements of show design that transcend "taste."

Sure, but our individual reaction to said design is based 100% on personal taste.

Incidentally this is the first time I've ever seen the word "scientism."

You're still young. You've still got lots of time to learn new things.

From <<http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/sciism-body.html>>

Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview, in much the same way that a Protestant fundamentalism that rejects science can be seen as a strictly religious worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

From <<http://www.skepdic.com/scientism.html>>

Scientism, in the strong sense, is the self-annihilating view that only scientific claims are meaningful, which is not a scientific claim and hence, if true, not meaningful. Thus, scientism is either false or meaningless. This view seems to have been held by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his Tractatus Logico-philosophicus (1922) when he said such things as "The totality of true propositions is the whole of natural science..." He later repudiated this view.

In the weak sense, scientism is the view that the methods of the natural sciences should be applied to any subject matter. This view is summed up nicely by Michael Shermer:

Scientism is a scientific worldview that encompasses natural explanations for all phenomena, eschews supernatural and paranormal speculations, and embraces empiricism and reason as the twin pillars of a philosophy of life appropriate for an Age of Science (Shermer 2002).

On the other hand, the dictionary definition of 'scientism' is the attitude and method of the typical natural scientist, whoever that might be.

And if you're a fan of F.A. Hayek, you might be critical of scientism.

• Like 2

You're still young. You've still got lots of time to learn new things.

From <<http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/sciism-body.html>>

Unlike the use of the scientific method as only one mode of reaching knowledge, scientism claims that science alone can render truth about the world and reality. Scientism's single-minded adherence to only the empirical, or testable, makes it a strictly scientifc worldview, in much the same way that a Protestant fundamentalism that rejects science can be seen as a strictly religious worldview. Scientism sees it necessary to do away with most, if not all, metaphysical, philosophical, and religious claims, as the truths they proclaim cannot be apprehended by the scientific method. In essence, scientism sees science as the absolute and only justifiable access to the truth.

From <<http://www.skepdic.com/scientism.html>>

Scientism, in the strong sense, is the self-annihilating view that only scientific claims are meaningful, which is not a scientific claim and hence, if true, not meaningful. Thus, scientism is either false or meaningless. This view seems to have been held by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his Tractatus Logico-philosophicus (1922) when he said such things as "The totality of true propositions is the whole of natural science..." He later repudiated this view.

In the weak sense, scientism is the view that the methods of the natural sciences should be applied to any subject matter. This view is summed up nicely by Michael Shermer:

Scientism is a scientific worldview that encompasses natural explanations for all phenomena, eschews supernatural and paranormal speculations, and embraces empiricism and reason as the twin pillars of a philosophy of life appropriate for an Age of Science (Shermer 2002).

On the other hand, the dictionary definition of 'scientism' is the attitude and method of the typical natural scientist, whoever that might be.

And if you're a fan of F.A. Hayek, you might be critical of scientism.

I come from a community where all of that is pretty much assumed as default. Hence I never saw a need to have a separate word for it. Interesting.

• Like 2

I come from a community where all of that is pretty much assumed as default. Hence I never saw a need to have a separate word for it. Interesting.

Great attempt at creating ethos. I applaud the attempt. Let's get real for a second. Is there merit in what you're fighting so hard for? Of course. How many people are really listening, though? Just wait until you make your money and exact your vision for drum corps like you mentioned in the other thread. I'm being entirely serious. You laid out your plan to enact your personal vision for the activity; so rather than attempting fruitlessly to convince a non-audience of your points - which I admit are somewhat legit - why not wait until you have an audience that can DO something about it. Will that audience listen to someone without the requisite experience to understand? THAT will be a matter time will solve.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

I know what you mean...I never needed a word for "pizza." :shutup:

Scientism, in the strong sense, is the self-annihilating view that only scientific claims are meaningful, which is not a scientific claim and hence, if true, not meaningful.

Ha! Love it!

Edited by BozzlyB

Incidentally this is the first time I've ever seen the word "scientism."

PS: Sorry for what I'm about to do, but I can no longer resist it.

There's this new thing in town named "Google." All the kiddies are using it. :devil::ph34r::tongue::rolleyes: