Madison 96

I was just watching the video of Madison's 1996 and was wondering how come they marched 8 tenors?

The only reason I'm questioning it as because its "different" so to say.

Was there a reason for having so many?

Not hating on it though!

I've also wondered the same thing a few times. Madison did all kinds of different things with the drumline in the mid-late 1990s. My fav is 1998. They put the entire tenor line on snare for the opener and all but three snares on tenors for the second tune. Rememberance is the only tune they had a "normal" drumline.

• Like 1

I was just watching the video of Madison's 1996 and was wondering how come they marched 8 tenors?

The only reason I'm questioning it as because its "different" so to say.

Was there a reason for having so many?

Not hating on it though!

I'm assuming the Latin theme of the show had something to do with it. The added oomph in the mid-range seems to fit with the theme. I've seen video clips of that tenor-line in a clinic (on a certain website) and Jeff Moore explains how he experimented with the setup and split parts to simulate drumset parts. Not entirely sure what that means, but it sounds cool lol.

On that note, Madison did some odd percussion stuff with a lot of their shows in the 90s.

In the 1998 show they actually had players switching between Tenors and Snare for the first 2/3 of the show. That show had both a 12 man Snareline and a 10(?) man Tenorline at different points in the show :w00t: (contrajedi beat me to it)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Jeff Moore was in Holland once for some clinics, and I also had the pleasure of attending a clinic he gave, and a friend of mine asked the same question to him.

He simply said they marched 8 tenors because he really coulnd't make a choice between the guys at auditions, so decided to take them all in.

I think that worked out pretty well!

As a drummer, I absolutely loved the experimentation they did in the mid to late 90's. The only complaint I have is that the tenor line really doesn't come across very clearly on the audio / video from Finals like you think an 8-man line should. I think this was also the first Yamaha line in DCI that used white powder-coating, too.

Mike

Because it was "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream"! ...Part Dos.

Is very cool to SEE, but hearing it (on the DVDs) is...just awful. Anything over 5 is going to deal with too wide of a spread to play a tons of notes cleanly. For instance, the person on the end of an 8-person tenor line has to hear 7 others out of one ear over 10 yards and play cleanly with them. Granted, all they would have to do is play with the person directly next to them (the first sound), but it's hard to do with 6 other exact same sounds coming after.

Madison marched 8 tenors because they can.

I don’t recall that, were all 8 tuned the same?

I tend to recall some corps from the 80s had 8, 4 smaller high and 4 bigger low

SCV of course did this in 1980, to unbelievable efect in "Stone Ground Seven." I don't know if anyoe else did literally the same thing-I know Cavies in 82 had high quads and low triples, as did Les Eclipses in 1984, and in 85 Blue Knights used doubles for a part of their show.

I don’t recall that, were all 8 tuned the same?

I tend to recall some corps from the 80s had 8, 4 smaller high and 4 bigger low

Madison's were all tuned the same - I've seen some clinic footage where you could get a better listen to them.

Mike